1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Erratic

Posts by Erratic

  • Far Cry 2 review

    • Erratic
    • October 13, 2008 at 9:12 PM

    Pulling shrapnel out of your leg, manually bandaging your wounds, cars breaking down, weapon degradation? Fuck yeah.

  • Portal: Prelude

    • Erratic
    • October 12, 2008 at 11:44 PM
    Quote from Deathy

    You should have listened to the Aperture Science Guy, he mentioned that the wall he toggled was actually senseless.

    +1 for Portal Prelude

  • Diablo 3

    • Erratic
    • October 12, 2008 at 11:39 PM
    Quote from Taylor

    There was no customisation to be had outside of making some people say "I'm going to make a poisonmancer!".

    But isn't part of the fun in that you're creating something unique, regardless of whether it's a statistically 'good' path? It's cool to be able to play into that fantasy of 'you're creating your own unique character' even if the players perception of what's going on under the hood is a little off...

  • Portal: Prelude

    • Erratic
    • October 12, 2008 at 6:12 PM

    I didn't really follow the mod prior to release and I don't really consider myself a hardcore Portal player (never got through the challenge rooms after the main game) but I got to chamber 10 without too much fuss. Really enjoying it so far. I don't understand the criticism of it being too hard. The first Portal already taught you the basics, why not push it a little further? Also, I'm not sure where it's using exploits just yet, maybe that's in the later chambers but I'm half way through and yet to make use of any glitch or technique that the original hadn't already incorporated.

    Though there are a few strange areas that play with your expectations a bit, like those shifting walls in the 3rd or 4th chamber that aren't actually used in solving the puzzle, but are presented as if they are.

  • StarCraft II to be Split into 3 Separate Games

    • Erratic
    • October 11, 2008 at 5:46 PM
    Quote from 2d-chris

    They might add some special units for the 2nd and 3rd game? But you can only use them in MP if you own them? I hope not

    My guess is they'll just split the userbase as with any expansion for a game. Only this time it has the potential to splinter the community into three groups instead of two like in the past.

    I'm still not sure what to make of it, though. At first in seems like a money grab but on the other hand you end up getting more content and sooner, as the campaigns individually will be bigger than if they were shipped on one disc. Yet it feels kind of wrong to prolong the life of what was a simple retail game into something spread out over months and months. Or years.

  • StarCraft II to be Split into 3 Separate Games

    • Erratic
    • October 11, 2008 at 12:35 AM

    http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55267

    ...

  • Congrats Mino!!!!

    • Erratic
    • October 10, 2008 at 12:01 AM
    Quote from Minotauro

    It's worth mentioning that they received over 5.000 applications so I'm quite glad I was one of the 15 that made it

    Any idea what you're working on yet?

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Erratic
    • October 9, 2008 at 4:48 AM

    [Blocked Image: http://www.vulomedia.com/images/4946612990.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.vulomedia.com/images/37783capcom_megaman_zx_2_advent_ds_reviews_561685_300.jpg]

  • Deus Ex 3

    • Erratic
    • October 8, 2008 at 3:01 PM
    Quote from Jetsetlemming

    You should play it, it's a fantastic game. You're still not making any appreciable argument against the minimal use of third person for special actions.

    Riddick's third person cuts to climbing over boxes and railings are lame. Deus Ex's dialogue sequences are not. It's pretty simple.

    There's a difference between seeing your avatar during a tame dialogue sequence and being whipped out of perspective in the midst of the action. Just take a look at Mirrors Edge. I can only imagine how much more interesting Riddick could have been had it stuck with one perspective.

    Also, I'm not rallying against DX3 or anything, just arguing some of these points. I actually don't mind this stuff for the most part, but it's good to be mindful of the genre you're doing it in. For a tactical/action shooter like Vegas, it was fine, for DX, it's a different story.

  • Deus Ex 3

    • Erratic
    • October 7, 2008 at 10:44 PM

    I'd argue there's a big difference between a very simple dialogue sequence and a prolonged cut scene with the camera flying all over the place.

    Deus Ex has an opening and an ending. And maybe some helicopter loading sequences if you wanna get picky.

  • WipEout: HD

    • Erratic
    • October 7, 2008 at 3:00 PM

    It's pretty good so far, it's not a push over at all. Though I'd recommend turning off that auto assist stuff in the menu options, really dumbs the game down. Something tells me that hand holding wasn't a staple of the series.

  • Deus Ex 3

    • Erratic
    • October 6, 2008 at 2:56 PM
    Quote from dux

    I can't even describe how irritated I feel when someone says something like that.

    Seconded.

  • Deus Ex 3

    • Erratic
    • October 6, 2008 at 2:44 AM
    Quote from kleinluka

    Honestly, I think this is a really bad argument and I don't understand why some people hold that against the game. Deus Ex 1 was made like 8 years ago. The only reason why it looked the way it did was because technology didn't allow for very...lets say.... "adventurous" visuals... It was very very limiting. That's why all the buildings in the first game look like pixelated shoe boxes.

    I'd disagree with this, mostly because I personally feel the environments of Deus Ex played a large role in its greatness, but also because the guy who made it said it did.

  • Silent Hill: Homecoming

    • Erratic
    • October 1, 2008 at 11:56 PM

    Right, his main goal is to inform the general gaming public of games he likes, not rip on lesser ones and be a clever dick while he's at it.

    Let's over think this some more why don't we.

  • Silent Hill: Homecoming

    • Erratic
    • October 1, 2008 at 8:55 PM
    Quote from Sentura

    each to his own. i'm not saying i follow his advice through and through, but he does have some good points. different people like different things, and in your review of the reviewer, you too are biased.

    The outcome of the review is already known - he only reviews stuff he hates or finds mediocre. I would hardly classify it as serious critique of whatever the subject is, shit's just supposed to be funny.

  • Banjo-Kazooie 3 gameplay video

    • Erratic
    • September 29, 2008 at 11:13 PM

    I guess the same could be said for any exclusive?

  • Banjo-Kazooie 3 gameplay video

    • Erratic
    • September 29, 2008 at 8:35 PM

    Missed the Banjo games but it's hard not to be charmed by this. Looks like a ton of fun. There seems to be a large void where platformers used to be this gen, be nice to see something start filling that up at least a little bit.

    Also curious about the price point for this. I doubt it has anything to do with the quality of the game but it's still something to wonder about - what Microsofts thinking is behind that. They did the same with Viva Pinata 2. (It's going for $39.99 US at launch).

  • WipEout: HD

    • Erratic
    • September 29, 2008 at 4:23 AM

    Was thinking about grabbing it, have a lot of stuff that I need to get around to finishing. I only just today finished MGS4. My PS3 is aching for something new though, maybe I'll bite.

  • Pirates seize ship carrying tanks

    • Erratic
    • September 27, 2008 at 9:34 PM

    This ship seizing is obviously just a form of protest. Cheaper tanks for all or no dice!

    Quote

  • New Media funding for Canadian game developers

    • Erratic
    • September 27, 2008 at 9:32 PM

    I'd rather sleep in.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™