I really don't think you think you're a better person for donating. I said 'most people', and actually, seeing how you reflect on things i get the feeling you're not one of those people. But i am pretty sure that you do that because it makes you feel better. It's not your main reason to do it, it's more of a subconscious thing. People do things because in the end it makes them feel better. Apparently, in how you were raised, you get a good feeling by helping people. Even if it seems that you are not getting anything back from it. Which is good, without a doubt, helping is good. I think this whole egocentric thing just got a bad name because if people hear the word they think of selfish money-hungry big corporation manager bastards that kill poor people and eat babies just to get more money. If i say you did it because it makes you feel better i didn't mean you're on of those people, you probably intended good things with it. But this is just human nature. (And yes, i'm just the same, i do all things because it makes me feel better. And sometimes smarter as well, yes, although i don't feel smarter than you klein. Not because of this at least
(joke btw) I agree it might even be your duty to help people (i didn't donate but i have been supporting a doctor organisation that operates in war scenes for years). Anyway, i never ment to say you're a self-loving asshole, or that you did it to boost your ego. But in a way, you did do that because it makes you feel better (in general, not better than someone else), that's just how people work. If they didn't work like that, they wouldn't have survived evolution i think. Just accept it. I think it's just very naieve to say people sometimes do things only for others, while they don't want it themselves/ while they gain nothing. Because they do.
Posts by DaanO
-
-
No, you are right. The clouds are pretty bad. It cannot do layers for example.
-
I agree that things are getting better but the map still lacks subtlety (sp? ), especially in colors you used for grass, lights and what not.
-
I don't get overhyped easily i think, but when quality stuff appears, i can be enthousiastic, yes. There are just many talented people here.
-
klein, I think you underestimate my knowledge of the whole situation. I know that Africa is corrupt and that money alone would probably only make it worse. What i am talking about, is that the continent is ignored. If foreign UN soldiers would go to Africa, combined with all the food/beds/tents that were sent to Asia, and all the money, that surely would help an awful lot.
Actually, i am pretty sure that the people that donate (yes, that includes you) only donate because they feel better in the end. I'm not saying you are egoistic or whatever, but you help because it makes you feel good. Let me ask you something: would you help if it made you feel bad? This is just human nature, the very reason for anything any human does is their own happiness, it's true. Even the people that sacrifice their lives for 'the great good' do that. Because they would feel worse if they didn't. I'm not saying this is bad because with the christian "you have to help the weaker to be a good person and go to heaven" indoctrination people will do some good. But they do it to feel better themselves.
By the way, i didn't mean to say that the 'ordinary man' it on a "i donated more than you and therefor i am a better person" strike, but some celebrities AND countries sure are. I can see why people have problems with me and disagree, but saying that that means i have my head up my ass, you just aren't taking me serious. Which is pretty bad. And finally, i don't think the world is any pretty so maybe sticking my head up my ass ain't that bad after all.
-
-
i can only see the last one, which is pretty nice
-
Don't know. I can see Gower being finished some day, but i gave up hope for Fender to be honest.
-
I get the impression that you know Hammer and all of the techniques quite well, but that you really didn't think about this level. The theme (if there is one) lacks consistency, the map makes no sense at all. I think if you would imagine people actually working/using the enviroment you'd find quite a few flaws. The same goes for details, the ultra-thin spotlights are a good example. The light you used it bigger than the base of the spotlights, i don't see how that is even possible. Maps that make no sense can be fun, i don't have anythign against them, but the problem is, it seems to me that you are trying to actually make a realistic enviroment. If you're not, you are not choosing between making some deathmatch enviroment or something 'real'. Make choises, think about the things you make.
-
I think we're all trying to say the same, but just use different words. Forget what it looked like, keep the theme and layout and make something new. Porting is no challenge.
-
Hey i don't see this in the HL2DM contest forum but in the WIP level gallery. I think that this map is highly unoriginal, something that does NOT wear off in 5 minutes. RD if you really feel that way you might wanna consider working for EA
. Making an ok map like this is all about technique, making something cool and original is just something more. Dustclones can have excellent technique, and can therefor be decent maps. But if you really feel it can be an excellent map overall, then your standards are just not high enough. -
Tsk tsk Mino, you have no idea. I have about 2,5 years experience with Terragen now and i think that the things that especially others did would amaze you. These are Terragen shots as well:
http://lucbianco.free.fr/3D/Ter152.jpg
http://lucbianco.free.fr/3D/Ter222.jpg
http://lucbianco.free.fr/3D/Ter216.jpg
http://lucbianco.free.fr/3D/Ter162.jpg
Anyway, about the skyboxes: If you want a desert setting, just add landscapes. Terragen can do those you know
. It's not bad as a start. I suggest you get yourself some good concept material, also try to imagine being at the place you just made. In the first one the air look really thick, and the whole enviroment looks a bit foggy. For a desert, i'd make the sky really clear, with a brighter sun. Also, i'd slightly increase the red near the horizon, it's almost a sunset on your sky so make it look like it.The second one is more interesting, but the sun is just too small. I like how you lighted the clouds around it, it looks really good ingame as well. The best practise for making skies by the way, is not to just make something (anybody can make something looking ok with Terragen) but to try and make something exactly the way you wanted it to be. Try picking a picture and remaking that. Overall: good start, not keep going and don't try to be satisfied with what you've got but try to keep on pushing.
-
Your Photoshopping could be more refined indeed, especially where the 2 photos meet. But i only noticed that after looking for a minute or so. I really really love the first one, the colors and everything is just right, it's great. Saved that one to my harddisk, i love it, great job. The grayscale however just lacks contrast. I bet that if you'd compare it to 'professional' grayscale photos you will see those do have more contrast. Anyway, i love the first, good job.
-
Great place (looks like Malta, and Turkey), some really nice scenery there. But as photos i don't like them.
-
I like it better as well (cool that you put it up!), but i would go for just a little more black. Also, when i compare the two, i have to admit, i like how your version isn't as conventional as mine. The second may be more comfortable to look at - which is good as well - but it might not be as interesting. I guess to chose which is best, it just depends on what you want to achieve with your photo. Nice work.
Edit: Forgive me if i'm wrong, but you also scaled the second version, right? Why not make the picture square instead of postcard-size? I just tried this in Photoshop, and if you make the picture square (no scaling) it looks best in my opinion. It combines the unconventional/interesting look with something that is comfortable to look at. It would be how i'd do this.
-
Aaaaahhh the first map with a c17 theme that actually looks really good. I can really see this map ending in the top 3. Things just seem to fit, things make sense, things just seem to be 'right'. If only i had a 'golden pearl', this one would get it. (rd, there's work to do for you here)
-
*Some* of those are ok, but for most you just chose the wrong way to make your stuff, which ruins pretty much everything. I think you are talented to make some nice scenes, and to chose the right angles and colors and whatever is needed to make pretty pictures. (Which is different from making art, but 99% of the people on the internet don't understand that so you can basically ignore that). Anyway, i really think you should try to learn something else. If you like to play with terrain and props you will like Vue d'Esprit, i think that'd be a far better platform for your work.
-
People that donate their entire paycheck to the tsunami victims did something pretty ok, but 99% of them are short-sighted and just a hypocrit. I mean, it's just great that the people in Asia get lots of money now, and help in general, but there's something just not right about this help. First of all, thousands of people are dying every day, in Africa for example. Those people need the help more than the victims of the tsunami ever will, and people just ignore them. This whole donating crap is just something for people to make them feel good. "Hey you know i donated my entire paycheck to the victims of the tsunami, so i donated more than you and therefor i am a better person." That's how most people feel (but often they dont' realise it) or at least act. All these celebrities that try to donate more than others. All these people that blame me for not donating to these victims it's just stupid. I have been supporting a Dutch organisation that gives people medical assistance in area's like Asia now, and in war situations as well. Anyway, people that help now and then think they're good people because of that or just silly. I do not know you but already i think of you as shortsighted. Sadly, giving to the tsunami victims doesn't count for anything. Anyway, i'll trust Mazy, ferret and stolve in this case.
-
Quote from BacksliderDisplay More
Its too cluttered IMO. I was constantly sticking on either a model or highly exagerated wall designs. I mean do you really think they needed a pillar every 2 meters in each wall. And call me a NOOB if you must, but where the hell is this place, it looks like disneyland.+ Fun
+ Looks great
+ Not bad layout
- Too many props
- Wall supports in hall ways are OVERDONE
- A bit cartoonish
This sums it up for me pretty well. It can be fun at times, but it doesn't play very well, i really doubt this map is gonna be any popular. I mean shotguns are fun, but when it comes to serious gameplay, this map is a big no-no. I like the look from an artistic point of view, but the map fails when i run a reality check. "Where is this place" is exactly what i thought. I just hope the enviroments in CS2 will be more live-like, it would be good because it would be more convincing, and players would be more dragged into the game.
-
Thanks guys. Yeah Mino i agree, but i wanted to wait until Gower and Fender were ready so a mappack could be made. But right now i doubt both maps are gonna be released.