1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Zacker

Posts by Zacker

  • SoW1 vs. HL2 - Graphic quality

    • Zacker
    • June 2, 2005 at 11:28 AM

    Why do some people in here just have to make retarded comments? No, the SoW textures are scaled at 1, it is only the detail texture which does it. I just took the first tiles I could find in HL2(transtation) and the rocks are from the first I could reach in C17 highway.

    Should I have increased the brightness on the HL2 pictures afterwards to make them equally lit? That would just make it even more biased imo.

    I tried to face them with the same angle, distance and all that. There might be some small differences between the pictures but you are either blind or down right retarded if you dont get the point.

    Mike-O, I still say: Everybody can go in and check that that is how the tiles in HL2 look like if you duck - no clippping or other wierd tricks.

  • SoW1 vs. HL2 - Graphic quality

    • Zacker
    • June 1, 2005 at 7:33 PM
    Quote from Algor

    And it would not be wise to be a smart ass to the admins / owners

    Hmm yeah, that comment to MikeZilla was maybe not smart. I was just tend to get angry when people such as Mike-O say down right wrong things - especially when he must have been fully aware of it if it he checked it himself. My anger should not have been directed at you MikeZilla, I apologize.

    Quote

    why don't you have a try at it? To see what the impact would be. Write yourself a detail texture shaderi'm curious how a texture with 5 layers would run (specular, diffuse, normal, detail and lightmap) as opposed to the 3 layers with no pixel shaders in hl1...

    Lol? I am project leader and level designer - not HLSL expert. I will hear our coders if they can implent it though.

  • SoW1 vs. HL2 - Graphic quality

    • Zacker
    • June 1, 2005 at 6:33 PM
    Quote

    that 900 mhz difference surely isn't caused by detail textures...

    That is one of my points. Detail textures could have been added without raising the requirements very much.

    Quote

    hl2 wins

    Quite some genius people around here...

    Quote

    i just d/led sands of war... zacker took those pics standing, just looking at the ground. the hl2 pics he took are noclipped as close to the ground as he could get without clipping through the brush.fucking bullshit, gtfo

    That was not exactly smart of you to post. Everybody got HL2 and everybody can download SoW1 and find out that your post is very wrong. I could say something like "OMG MIKE-O you suck balls and your post is fucking bullshit, gtfo!!!". I prefer just recommending people to check it out themselfs though.

  • SoW1 vs. HL2 - Graphic quality

    • Zacker
    • June 1, 2005 at 11:11 AM
    Quote

    i also think the pics are slightly biased (showing not even 4 complete hl2 tiles, compared to loads of hl1 ones D: )

    Well, the HL2 tiles were much bigger and I wanted the pics from the same distance(to prevent bias), so that is just the logical result...

    Quote

    That is one biased weak ass comparison you got going on there.

    It is? I actually tried to find as similar textures as possible and tried to keep the distance the same and all that. Biased comparisions are worth nothing.

    Quote

    Like said before. You'd have to basicly do one detail texture for each texture. Which would take quite some space and memory.

    Wrong. You just need one for each type of material, eg. rocks, concrete, etc.

    Quote

    So hl1 with detail textures runs faster than HL2 with cube/bump etc.great news!

    That was not the point you dumbass...

    Quote

    detail textures look nice sometimes, a lot of the time they're done really badly and look horrible. imo.

    Indeed. In the V-erc tutorial about it and in CS:Z it look incredible crappy. This is probably why that many people dislike detail textures.

  • SoW1 vs. HL2 - Graphic quality

    • Zacker
    • May 31, 2005 at 10:31 PM

    We could also call it "Why HL2 should have had detail textures".

    An old HL1 mod competing with the new wonderful HL2 and its Source engine? Texture quality in a game requirering a 300 mhz vs. a game which require a 1.2 gz?

    Sounds insane, right? Lets see how insane it is:)

    First we will try with the texture quality of tiles. In the one corner we some tiles from the trainstation in HL2 and in the other we have some from SoW_Hangar.

    HL2:

    [Blocked Image: http://sandsofwar.net/mapshots/hl2_tiles.jpg]

    SoW1:

    [Blocked Image: http://sandsofwar.net/mapshots/sow_hangar_tiles.jpg]

    Lets see how it is with outdoor stuff, here a cliff/rock texture:

    HL2:

    [Blocked Image: http://sandsofwar.net/mapshots/hl2_rock.jpg]

    SoW1:

    [Blocked Image: http://sandsofwar.net/mapshots/sow_hangar_rock.jpg]

    Note: HL2 was set to maximum texture quality.

  • Doom III

    • Zacker
    • May 31, 2005 at 9:30 PM

    Aha, maybe its just me who havent tried enough horror games.

  • Rumor: EA moving empire to Florida. What? Can't be true...

    • Zacker
    • May 31, 2005 at 7:49 PM

    I think he ment that he lives in Florida...

  • Doom III

    • Zacker
    • May 31, 2005 at 7:48 PM

    A little late, but I have played some D3 now and has reached alpha labs. Until now it has been a nice experience.

    First I was a little confused and dissapointed because I had expected something else. I thought that I would be fighting monsters 5 seconds after having started the game and so. Furthermore realizing that D3 is a horror game and not as much an action game also helps it.

    So I have actually had a good time with it. D3 has for sure managed to scare the hell out of me. I thought FarCry had some scary areas and that Ravenholm was a little scary, but D3 just beats them all! It is for sure the most well done horror game ever.

    I am only at the beginning of the game and yet I already got a bunch of weapons and have met a lot of different enemies.

    D3 lacks light and variation big time, but besides that it is really great!

  • Portfolio snaps

    • Zacker
    • May 31, 2005 at 4:59 PM

    Considering that the quality of the NW work and the fact that it consists of 3 bsps, then I think that it more than evens it out. I don't think that there is a such distinct lack of content in your portfolio. Working on NW and with guys like those should more than make up for it:)

    I am however not sure of if it matters that you have lead a gaming clan.

  • prey vid

    • Zacker
    • May 31, 2005 at 2:37 PM

    We have a Prey thread already:

    http://mapcore.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2580

    Quote

    3drealms just owns the IP and slaps their name on the box, sort of like what they did with Max Payne.

    3drealsm assisted with quality assurance for MP2, that is why their name is one the box.

  • Portfolio snaps

    • Zacker
    • May 31, 2005 at 9:39 AM

    So will some basic models be a plus for your portfolio even if its not on par with the mapping stuff? I am wondering if it is worth the time to learn some other editors. I dunno, so you industry guys please answer:)

  • Community Death Match map project (HL2)

    • Zacker
    • May 30, 2005 at 4:25 PM
    Quote from DrGlass

    errr... no. Area portals dont have anything to do with lights.

    It looks like he used a white light texture and a few env_lightglows

    It is correct that area portals dont have anything to do with lights. The func_areaportal window entity however has the ability to create the effect seen in the second pic.

  • Portfolio snaps

    • Zacker
    • May 30, 2005 at 2:43 PM

    Impressive portfolio! A job in the industry seems like the right choice for you.

    The NW shots are as usual of very high quality. The first one is too dark for me to judge anything though.

    In the second picture you got CS crates, the NW texture guy really needs to come up with a replacement for that one. The cliff to dirt transition on the right needs a blend texture. Furthermore the sun is too white and lacks corona.

    The alien parts of ns_forsaken have a too wierd and colourstyle for my taste. The third shot however(the one amckern also linked to) is pure sex!!!

    The water in Dark Truths needs another texture(you are using an old HL one) and it needs some transparancy.

  • totally random texture thread

    • Zacker
    • May 30, 2005 at 12:25 PM

    It got the typical asphalt fading problem.

  • Frustration with Counter-Strike Source Servers

    • Zacker
    • May 30, 2005 at 10:59 AM

    1. I higly agree! The worst part is when the server also downloads a .res to your comp so that the next time you want to make server, then others will have to download the sounds.

    Yeah, The UT announcer sounds are cool...in UT - Not in CS.

    2. Just check the server info and don't join if there are too many with 5 in ping...

    3. I think FF itself is ok, it often just turns out to be disturbing when playing on FFA servers. So yeah, a warning would not be bad.

  • totally random texture thread

    • Zacker
    • May 29, 2005 at 10:03 PM

    That new version is indeed a huge improvement. Not sure of exactly what that did it, but you lost a good bunch of that wierd look the other one had. The asphalt still looks wierd to me though, at least it don't look like that around here.

  • Community Death Match map project (HL2)

    • Zacker
    • May 29, 2005 at 9:32 PM

    Func_areaportalwindow

  • Venice Redux [updated]

    • Zacker
    • May 29, 2005 at 9:18 PM

    Yeah, those shots look sad. The water looks a bit wierd, there is too little refraction and reflection.

  • Oh noes, ur map has teh been stoeled~~?!

    • Zacker
    • May 29, 2005 at 3:51 PM

    Just heard from Egir. They have been aware of that he probably was a faker for some time now, but he was able to give a somewhat reasonable explanation last time. He will be banned now.

  • Community Death Match map project (HL2)

    • Zacker
    • May 29, 2005 at 3:36 PM

    I think those shots looks cool.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™