1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Zacker

Posts by Zacker

  • Robert Yang -- Level Design... now with GDC post-mortem!

    • Zacker
    • March 22, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    Quote from FrieChamp

    That's awesome, please share!

    Yeah, yay for using girlfriends for user research! (even though it includes use of the "my gf..." line on an internets forum)

  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days

    • Zacker
    • March 18, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    Quote from Sentura

    that's a huge upgrade to the original one then. what happened?

    Eh, now it's a while back, but as far as I remember that was also mostly how we did the trailers for the original one?

  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days

    • Zacker
    • March 17, 2010 at 8:35 PM

    Looks fantastic! It appears that the additional time definitely has paid off Now I just want to see more Fragile Alliance

  • Robert Yang -- Level Design... now with GDC post-mortem!

    • Zacker
    • March 17, 2010 at 8:33 PM

    Hey CampaignJunkie, I thought you were in the industry already? You were making kickass levels like 5+ years ago Your old Half-Life maps holds up very well!

  • MapCore Job Census

    • Zacker
    • March 16, 2010 at 11:06 AM

    Congrats, quite some core people at Crytek indeed!

  • Illegal downloading and mapcore

    • Zacker
    • March 15, 2010 at 7:49 PM

    Music: Buy it all, now that proper digital stores finally work as they should. That is, I have free downloads of music included in my ISP subscription at a reasonable price.

    Games: Haven't bought a physical game in 2-3 years now. Of the games I actually play though, I buy almost all of them - much love for Steam. Still got some cracked copies laying around for certain games though.

    Movies: The good ones I watch in the cinema, the rest I download at shady places.

  • The scary case of Infinity Ward

    • Zacker
    • March 15, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    Quote from Warby

    the cluster fuck continues:http://kotaku.com/5491675/rumor-why-cal ... ing-around

    apperently the other emplyoees are sticking around despite meager pay becasue activision hasnt paid out the promised royalties to them either ! and they probably wont for a while in order to keep the emplyoees from mass deflecting ...

    i hate these kind of buisness methods *anger*

    Forcing employees to stay with those kind of methods is the same as forcing employees to sneak in midget porn everywhere in your products. As in, that is what I hope the employees do if this is the case.

  • Bioshock 2!

    • Zacker
    • February 25, 2010 at 1:51 PM

    I haven't tried it myself yet, but the director for this one is the level designer of Fort Frolic from the first game, my favorite level. So it can't be all bad

  • Make Something Unreal final round of winners

    • Zacker
    • February 19, 2010 at 12:02 PM

    Winners of the final round of Epic's Make Something Unreal contest have just been announced:

    http://www.makesomethingunreal.com/final_winners.aspx

    I would like to point your attention the education catagory, where the IT University of Copenhagen won a 1st place

  • Cool website for movie buffs

    • Zacker
    • February 8, 2010 at 7:55 PM

    On the talk of movie lists, I have beeb using IMDB so far and think it's a pretty good tool to keep track of movies watched. And for a discussion over which movie is the better one

    My vote history:

    http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=33596314

  • Natural Selection 2

    • Zacker
    • February 7, 2010 at 4:44 PM

    Looks very promising and true to NS! There is however clearly a long way yet before this gets anywhere near release state.

  • Interstellar Marines Webgame

    • Zacker
    • January 29, 2010 at 3:34 PM

    The guys behind this (danish company) were for some years trying to make a full blown game, back then on the Unreal engine. They got hit hard by the financial crisis though and had to cut employees and rethink their development strategy. This resulted in the idea of "AAA Indie" where they try to get the game funded by the community by continuously delivering updates. So there is no finished game as of yet.

    Despite the sadness of them having worked for 5+ years and still only having a very simple browser game I still think they should be given some props for doing whatever they can to get to develop the game.

  • Test your Brain

    • Zacker
    • January 29, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    Quote from e-freak

    I also got it right, it was however quite interesting as I for a 1/100th second I did consider 5000 before ending on on 4100.

  • Zero Gear - an indie multiplayer kart racing game

    • Zacker
    • January 27, 2010 at 1:27 PM

    Slight bump of the thread here, hope that's ok. I played this game once during the beta and now I just played the demo again. Neither of the times did I like it at all :/ There is something about the controls which makes it feel like you don't really have any contact with the surface at all, your vehicle just seems to be floating along the ground. There did not really appear to be much to the game either; granted I have probably seen half of the features, but what I have seen so far did not seem of much. And worst, driving around was not in any way pleasing and that is kinda concern to me in a racing game.

    Now however, I did like an ironic touch such as the Indie-ness factor. And you shouldn't mind my comments anyway, as the game it reminded me the most of is some of the old Mario Kart games, which I also absolutely saw no fun in. Many people however did Also, I see that you are having some quite nice sales on Steam! It has slowed down a bit now, but still you have for weeks been outselling some quite high profile games, I am very impressed by this!

    I was wondering, what is your company strategy onwards? I can imagine that the revenue from your iPhone games has almost been able to cover all expenses related to the ZG development thereby leaving you in a favorable position with very little debt (or none) to payoff? But I doubt the revenue of ZG is enough to cover the development cost of your next game?

    So will you keep on adding features to Zero Gear and hoping that the sales will continue to be higher than the cost of the continued development? Or just give it basic life support and go develop a sequel, or another game, and then hope that the game has a long enough tail to provide you with liquidity until the release of the sequel? Or try and both expand ZG while developing another game and thereby stretching your already limited developer resources?

    You got lots of challenges ahead of you, but you to have proven to have the talent and dedication to take them on. Good luck

  • Black Mesa Source

    • Zacker
    • January 19, 2010 at 12:41 PM

    A piece comment from a dedicated Black Mesa fan:

    Black Mesa looked amazing a few years back, but it is indeed showing it's age by now. A little sad that it won't be the visuals nor the tech which will make me want to be play it, but more the fine original story, gameplay and level design. In which case I might almost as well be playing the original HL?

  • Tactical Intervention

    • Zacker
    • January 13, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    Quote from D3ads

    That's actually really awesome.

    That's actually really Photoshopped.

  • Help me decide what is the best company name.

    • Zacker
    • January 6, 2010 at 4:40 PM

    "Exit Strategy" is one of those very rare combinations of words which can really make the eye of any investor shine.

  • Duke Nukem Developer 3D Realms Shuts Down (??)

    • Zacker
    • January 6, 2010 at 4:34 PM

    Both some awesome videos, even though Thrik's clearly has the highest production values.

  • Blizzard Vs Sentura

    • Zacker
    • January 6, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    Quote from Furyo

    I think anyone that would shun the idea of working for a company like Blizzard has to consider his real intentions of working in the industry.

    Word.

  • Tasty Static

    • Zacker
    • January 2, 2010 at 12:29 PM

    I loved SkyRoads and in a spur of nostalgia I decided to try this also. Turned out to have an absolutely horrible control scheme with your avatar failing a the worst possible thing: Not doing what I want it to.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™