1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Zacker

Posts by Zacker

  • Portfolio ?!

    • Zacker
    • September 28, 2006 at 1:52 PM

    Now two of you have commented on his HL1 map shots as being a bad idea to have there. I think they are totally cool to have as even though they look old, it's still visible that it's decent mapping.

  • Portfolio ?!

    • Zacker
    • September 28, 2006 at 11:39 AM

    It looks really good, both your portfolio layout and your maps! You list PS as one skills, so maybe show some textures by you?

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Zacker
    • September 28, 2006 at 10:24 AM

    Looks really good, there seem to be a minor problem with your pipe smoothing groups though, this is especially visible in the first picture.

  • Level Designer at IO Interactive? Yes sir!

    • Zacker
    • September 28, 2006 at 9:23 AM

    I need to get myself a scooter...

  • X06: Kane & Lynch: Dead Men

    • Zacker
    • September 27, 2006 at 7:51 PM

    Looked pretty good, but as usual I would prefer even more content and in particular more ingame gameplay scenes.

  • I hear noise.....fan noise!!!!

    • Zacker
    • September 27, 2006 at 7:40 PM

    Could I please have a link to the most recent one? I have used nTune or whatever Nvidias one was called, in the past, but afaik they are not developing on it anymore.

  • I hear noise.....fan noise!!!!

    • Zacker
    • September 27, 2006 at 3:35 PM

    Get some kind of fan/overclocking control application. I do personally use ASUS smartdoctor to adjust my clock settings and fans on my gfx card. It's a little buggy, but most of it work.

  • totally random texture thread

    • Zacker
    • September 27, 2006 at 3:33 PM

    Sindwiller, I can't really see what it is your texture is supposed to look like. There is a lot of really wierd things going on, both in regards to perspective and material look.

    PhilipK, I am not sure why, but I don't dig your texture there a lot. Might be that it looks like metal, but the tile-like structure is usually not found on metal walls.

  • Windows geniune

    • Zacker
    • September 26, 2006 at 9:14 AM

    Haha interesting to see that it is that easy to edit WGA. Lets not drag Sindwiller into this thread though...

  • Searching for a piece of software...

    • Zacker
    • September 26, 2006 at 9:12 AM

    When I am working with heigtmaps and terrains I usually do it this way.

    1. Generate the terrain in Terragen, adjusting until I am satisfied. Be sure to use the 3d preview feature.

    2. Export to PS and do a few adjustments here if needed, but adjustments can just as well be done in Terragen.

    3. Important in Max and use your height map as displacement modifier.

    4. Do the texturing via submaterials applied using your heightmap as mask. You may have to use an adjusted version of your heightmap for proper texturing.

  • The random model thread!

    • Zacker
    • September 26, 2006 at 9:06 AM

    Btw. von*ferret, how are you working with procedural textures? Which program?

    Skdr nice scene there, in particular with KoKo5oVaR's adjustments.

  • What's the best way to import the whole HL1.wad into Source?

    • Zacker
    • September 26, 2006 at 9:03 AM

    Use GCFScape to open the half-life source.gfc and then you can find all the HL1 textures in the hl1/materials folder. All the common ones are in the hl1/materials/halflife folder.

  • insta grins

    • Zacker
    • September 23, 2006 at 11:26 AM
    Quote from Section_Ei8ht

    Congrats!! I play banjo for you!

    That was a very scary comment considering THAT other thread.

  • - Global Warfare - [HL2] Recruiting a Team

    • Zacker
    • September 23, 2006 at 11:17 AM

    There is already a Source mod released and still in development which is quite similar to what you describe there. It's called Sands of War 2, you should join us:)

  • Level Designer at IO Interactive? Yes sir!

    • Zacker
    • September 23, 2006 at 9:28 AM

    Ahh yes Mazy, that must have been me. So now two visits to IO without getting even saying hello to you, shame on me...

    Yeah regarding that project then I was not really sure if how cool it was before I saw it. After having heard them tell about it, seen the vids from it and and such, then it was clear that it indeed is fucking awesome:D

    Ohh yeah burgers, people seemed to like that a lot:)

  • Level Designer at IO Interactive? Yes sir!

    • Zacker
    • September 22, 2006 at 7:07 PM

    So today I was over for my 2nd meeting where I got to talk a lot to team which I might be joining.

    First off I had a talk with Sebastian(Level Designer) and Jeremy (Director) about how their mapping workflow was and which tools they used. It seems like I am going to be using max a lot more than I am used to, thankfully not for complicated high poly modelling way beyond my capabilities.

    I also got to sign an NDA for the first time, which was kinda wierd. I did not read it as it was rather long, so I hope that I did not sell my soul to satan or similar by signing the papers.

    So I am not allowed to say much, but I hope I can say that if I had any doubts before, then they are gone now: IOI is a super sweet place to work. The games in development got a really good feel and the developers there know their stuff very well.

    I was also supposed to have lunch and a talk with Mads Prahm who I met last time. This unfortunately did not happen as he could not come today because his daugther got ill or something. This was rather sad as I really enjoyed our last conversation, this guy got a really nice attitude to things and we understood each other well. He had the same mix of gfx/programming/level design/management experience, which was really nice. It can be annoying to explaining code to an artist or the other way around, but this guy just knew it all:)

    So Jeremy and Sebastion were stuck with me for 2 hours, which did get a little long in the end. I did hear a lot about how their level designers work. First the lots of 3dstudio max scared me off a bit, as that is an application which I am far from mastering. It turned out that as level designer you were only supposed to do rough mockups in max though, which fits me a lot better.

    During all of this time I talked english, which I haven't really done a lot since I had it a year ago in school. I thought I was fairly used to english as I write it every day, but my english turned out to be pretty rusty. This was pretty bad as I am afraid that I sounded like a n00b:/ Actually there were quite a bunch of stuff that I had prepared to say, but when you in the middle of it all, then it's just gone.

    In the end I had a talk with Mette, their HR manager, who turned out not to be scary despite what I had heard. She asked the usual job interview questions and told about about the the social activities they had and the overall style of the company. They got some of the worlds best game developers and people are expected to always develop their skills. Sounds just perfect to me, so now I just REALLY hope that they accept me in as trainee.

    So if all of the above is filled with grammar mistakes or just sounds like plain nonsense, then it's just because I got up at 0530 today which I can feel now...

  • Mornstar maybe

    • Zacker
    • September 22, 2006 at 6:58 PM

    Your first shot actually reminds me of an area in my map Omnicron, they seem to have the overall same structure. Yours is different texture style and better looking, but still:)

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thefuture.dk/maps/omnicron/sow2_omnicron0006_thumb.jpg]

  • Compile Freezes and Long Compile Time Problem

    • Zacker
    • September 21, 2006 at 9:13 PM

    You need to optimize your map if you need a four GB pagefile.

  • The random model thread!

    • Zacker
    • September 21, 2006 at 6:15 PM

    Minos that render looks really good!

  • Compile Freezes and Long Compile Time Problem

    • Zacker
    • September 21, 2006 at 6:12 PM

    Unless only blocked by an entity, then the engine will automaticly remove all hidden faces. Even the HL1 compilers/engine could do that:)

    I do not recommend use hint brushes here either. Judging from the screenshot then all of the room will be rendered anyways, so hint brushes will only make things worse.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™