Yep Blizz fucked us over totally this time. I am not sure if I will ever get Fountain to work 100% as before again. Like hello how stupid is it to disallow TargetByName() even out of combat, that function is used in half of all addons.
Posts by Zacker
-
-
Looks really fantastic all over Warby! The colossus vs. strider setup still looks wierd though, but still very well made.
-
Yeah ok like that then you will get what I said, increased polycount and increased memory usage. Only slightly more I know, but still the so called performance tweak includes some performance hits.
The gain might be bigger than the loss, I just haven't believed so so far. I will see if I can find time to do a proper test myself.
Regarding extensive use of func_detail and maintaining fast compile times I do agree though. None of my Source maps takes more than 5 mins to compile.
-
Same brush I am aware of yes, but the part below the sidewalk would also be drawn and give extra polygons. Applying nodraw to that part would eliminate the problem yes, but how would you apply nodraw to one part of of a face while retaining the correct texture on another part of the same face?
-
Ooghijmiqtxxa your map looks ok, but it stands out as fairly simple and repeating brushwork. The problem is that all your map seem to consist of is basic walls/floors and then your arches. Your arches are not bad, far from, but except for them there is no real geom detail in the map.
-
Correct Hessi, it would indeed simplify the leaf structure. It would however also require the road(or another world brush) to be extended to go below the sidewalk. I believe that those extra polygons are more expensive than a slightly more complicated leaf structure in most cases.
Anyone who knows of some accurate tests on this subject or are willing to perform some?
WesleyTack, I don't think that the player model shadow affects the weapon as it is not affecting the lightmap. I am not sure about this one though and your results seem to prove otherwise.
-
Skjalg, those tools are so useless as all they do is the exact same as Disssonance mentions. Changing 1 number in a plain text .toc file with notepad is all they do.
-
I am dabbling in the world of addon coding and got over 5000 downloads for my first addon called Fountain.
LUA is a nice language and WoW has a good,although fairly restricted API, so I can for sure recommend looking into it. If you got some previous scripting/coding knowledge, then you will learn this in no time.
The best thing to do is to look at other addons and see how they have done things. With the amount of WoW addons out there, chances are really good to find an addon which performes the action that you want to know something about.
http://www.wowwiki.com is a very handy site as they got some good lists of API commands and events available.
You should however not expect to be able to easily fix some of the more complicated addons after a patch. Remember that even the authors who know the code often need a week or so to get it adjusted for patch changes.
-
Well most of the major studios have been gearing up the last year.
-
Looks very nice indeed.
-
Haha that is cool Klein!
-
I can't think of any reasons why a street or sidewalks should be func_detailed. Rule of thumb is that obstacles and small details should be func_detail, rest world brushes.
Your log looks fine.
A v_weapon model's lighting is determined by 2 things:
- The light info from the lightmap patch directly below the origin/pivot of the model.
- The nearest cubemap.
-
I am very curious about what kind of good reason you would have for making the floor func_detail.
-
-
- Forget the 6xxx series and go for at least the 7 series. They got significantly better shader pipelines.
- 256 megs of ram is more than enough.
- Do not buy a agp card too expensive as you will have to get a pci-e anyways the next time you upgrade your comp. Furthermore the agp port is fairly limited and will be a bottleneck for the expensive cards.
-
-
Did the original HL level have a huge transformer in the ceiling?
-
Great, I will for sure also try to get my hands on this one.
-
Congratz Atrocity, that's a fine place!
-
Well RAD used phong shading on all edges where two faces with an angle of less than 45-50 degrees met. You could set the exact value with -smooth.