Looks very nice indeed.
Posts by Zacker
-
-
Sounds cool, I had a lot of fun on de_museum back in the old days. Was it not in one of the CSC mappacks or something?
Anyways as the others have said there is a huge quality difference between your two shots.
-
The Wii however can't live forever on minigames, can it? I think it's long term success is going to be highly dependant on if there are solid games coming with more than just innovative controls.
-
Looks cool, but a little too random for my taste.
-
Unity is a really fantastic engine! I had the chance to work with it a Nordic Game Jam 2007 and it was a pleasure. The developers of it are also some great guys:) But yeah the IDE is mac only, but the engine itself runs on Windows.
-
We are also still looking for more level designers Zap, so if Denmark is anything for you then give it a shot:)
-
I haven't had a chance to check them out yet, but judging from the screenshots Hestia seems like a winner. It just looks frikkin good.
-
Ahh yeah those were times. I could spend 4-5 hours a day just hanging out on IRC channels. Today I haven't even touched IRC for 2-3 years or so.
-
Fantastic first impression, especially with the first picture. After a few seconds you begin to notice the lack of detail in some places, too few polygons used somewhere, missing shadows and other stuff.
The rocks in the background definatly need more polygons, it looks like each polygon is 10m long or something. The general building architecture could use some more details, especially in those flat places where you can see the texture tiling.
-
It begs for higher lightmap quality.
-
All the numbers are from north america only which kinda screws everything a lot.
-
You can use Parabot to test the maps. It's one of the best bots in the world and it learns to play the map after having played with you for a short while.
-
I looked up that Adrian Askarieh earlier today on imdb and as far as I can see, then he got absolutely no released movie experience under his belt.
-
I have fallen in love with my Wacom Intuos3 A5 USB PTZ-630G, which has turned out to be really handy for doing paint deformation stuff in max. Having a non-pressure sensitive tool like a regular mouse for such a job just feels wierd after having used a Wacom.
So my point is just that a digitizer can also be useful outside PS.
-
Having a mod in production for both HL1 and Source at the same time can indeed be hard. I know it, as I have tried it myself.
My bet is that the reason why they are still working on their HL1 version is because they want to polish it up. When you have been working on something for several years, then you are very reluctant to leave it without polishing it first.
Sven Coop could have released the HL1 version and then a Source version quick, but it would probably have resulted in an a lot more bugs and less features. We went this way with SoW and did not turn out too well.
-
-
I just talked to the former lead level designer of the current gen multiplayer part of SCDA, he is working at IO today. It was quite interesting to hear actually.
Turns out that more than 600 people spread out over 4 studios worked on SCDA. The development was split up in a current gen part and a next gen part which were _totally_ seperate. Yep you heard right, no sharing of story, assets, code - anything.
For the next gen version the 360 was lead target and for the current gen version the ps 2 was. For the current gen version it gets even worse though, as the multiplayer component there did not even use the same engine as the sp component!
Sounds like a totally crazy project to me. Like how on earth do they expect a project with 600 people on the payroll to ever break even?!
-
Even though I got a fantastic job atm, then I am still planning on getting at least a bachelors degree or something in some years. It's simply the fact that I very well might need a degree when I am 30 or 40 - and I know that I certainly don't want to start at university by then.
-
R_Yell have you been looking in the SoW2 design document? Or just had a lot of fun with NS:Combat such as I had when I wrote the document?
From our DD:
QuoteDisplay MoreLevel systemEach player is an individual, and there for should allow for customizing his playing style there after. Killing enemies and capturing flags will all give different but fair amounts of experience.
For each objective the player completes, he gets experience, which over time will make him get “level up” where he can choose a new skill. Even the newbies should have chance of getting at least a few level ups.
“Frags” will be shown on the scoreboard, but many other things will have influence on your score. Your experience will last until the server changes map(which will happen every ~15-20 minutes). Over 15-20 minutes a decent player should be able to reach level 8 or so.
It is your score which determines how high a level you are. The amount of points required to gain a new level is always the double of what it required last time. The maximum level you can reach is 10.
Playing as a team
When playing as a team you might not always get the kill but you'll get the amount of experience you deserve. In SoW2 you don't just get points for killing people or destroying buildings – here you get points for how much damage you have done. A small bonus is giving to the one who provides the final stab though.
This system simply gets completely rid of the phenomenon known as “Frag stealer”.
If someone near you gets a point, then you will also get a little bonus. This encourages you to help your team mates.
When dealing with team damage the system is reversed. If you damage a team mate, the amount of damage you deal will be subtracted from your xp.
-
Haha no, it could just be that when coming from the horrible Source workflow then this seems relatively easy.
If I want to check framerate then it only takes about 5secs to export my max file, 2secs to import it and then 10secs to run the game.
Yes we can paint textures, decos and scatter on our terrain using both vertexcolors and other techniques. It does also have support for animations, spec, reflection, etc. directly in max. What we see in max is not 100% as it is ingame but more of a general indication. If we want to see those things more accurately then I just do a 5sec export and then check it in our editor.
Bloom and other postfilters can only be viewed ingame. They can however be both applied and edited in realtime when running the game. So there are totally no exporting/previewing needed here.