Posts by Zacker
-
-
Quote from Pampers
looking forward to this but:
come on...
Agreed that is cheesy as hell. Knowing the people who are writing and designing this game, I think we can rest assured that the story will have significantly more depth than that.
Quotedamn those tits are fake as fuck
Captain obvious to the rescue.
-
Quote from hessi
since you are talking of unixoid target systems i would go for some open source software instead of proprietary stuff. i once worked with openscenegraph which has a good set of features. check it out: http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osgthe rendering is based on opengl and it supports many different unix systems.
probably much more fitting your case than the unreal engine (which is clearly targeted for game development and not pure visualisation).
I will very much agree with Hessi here, OpenGL, most likely with OSG, is the way to go for this task. Trying to use a game engine such as Unreal is theoretically possible but it will involve so much more unnecessary hassle.
-
Lots of interesting thoughts in the paper. The video is not impressive at all though.
-
-
Hey man, that is way cool! Congratulations. I must admit that I have not yet played your mod

-
Anyone who has actually tried this program?
-
I am playing Torchlight these days which is an excellent way of getting my hack&slash needs covered.
+ Incredible smooth game. Everything works very intuitively and all interfaces are lighting fast.
- It feels horribly unbalanced and got bunch of missed opportunities in many places, game design wise. E.g. gold is not really useful for anything because there are no things worth buying. This is sad because it kinda eliminates all that want to sell loot, shop merchants, etc. Also, only about 10% of the skills in the game are actually useful and the rest are just fillers. Again, sad game design choice.
-
-
In addition to all the very correct observations that people have already made here, then I would also like to add in the personal factor. No level designers are completely alike and therefore it would also be less than optimal to have them work the exact same way (even at the same company). People should be doing what they do best and level designers come in many shapes and sizes. If e.g. a level designer is also an amazing concept artist then it is only natural that he draws himself a number of sketches while designing his levels. Anything else than that would be a sad use of talent, even if the official job description doesn't mention drawing anything.
So rather than trying to work towards what you think is a level designers responsibility, as some people do, then a much better approach is to work on tasks you feel are interesting and then see where you end up. You might end up as a level artist, game designer or something completely else - but you will now be doing exactly what you think is interesting and what you are good at.
-
I would just like to join in on the love for killing machines and nuclear reactors

-
-
Today is the day with the last deals for this year. I bought a few games during some of the first days but overall I don't think that there were THAT many good offers this year. Or maybe we are just getting spoiled by now.
-
Having worked with both Lightmass through UDK and Beast through Unity I would also rate them as fairly similar, both in terms of speed, feature set and results.
-
Congrats man!
And remember to show up on time when you start there

-
First trailer was awesome while the 2nd was fairly meh.
-
I'm surprised there is not already a topic for this! Or did I just miss it?
Steam has kicked off their Christmas Sale and again this year there are some amazing deals. Will totally wreck my pocket, those bastards.
-
Caved In is pretty amazing track, so sure thing

-
I am totally with you Skjalg and very much share both your concerns and ideas for what maybe could be done

-
Jump directly to 1:35.External Content www.youtube.comContent embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.