1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Zacker

Posts by Zacker

  • the daily "how was your day?" extravaganza 2008

    • Zacker
    • March 20, 2008 at 2:53 PM

    Got woken up way too fucking early because the girl next to me in bed wanted to have sex. I had a really hard time deciding if I was annoyed or pleased.

    Was the last night with her as we have decided not to date eachother anymore. I don't have the time for a serious relationship(work takes priority) so I had to end the dating before I fell in love with her. I am afraid that it is already too late though:(

  • MapCore Job Census

    • Zacker
    • March 20, 2008 at 2:46 PM

    Could someone update the listing for the IOI guys? Mazy and Soenke were never on Project 3 and I am not there anymore either.

  • Photoshop Disasters

    • Zacker
    • March 19, 2008 at 11:01 AM

    Quite some hillarious stuff there, but a few of them look quite ok to me.

  • MapCore Job Census

    • Zacker
    • March 18, 2008 at 3:43 PM

    Congrats Sentura and Atrocity!

    Going to school in the same building as you work is pretty cool(Zeitguyz and the IT University is located in the same building)!

  • LD jobs site + misc

    • Zacker
    • March 17, 2008 at 7:13 AM

    If you can keep this updated in the long-term, then it's a pretty handy page!

  • Welcome back

    • Zacker
    • March 17, 2008 at 7:08 AM

    Welcome back Mapcore! You have been missed;)

    A big thanks to Mojo, Thrik and who else that might have had something to do with this!

  • Aliens: Colonial Marines - WTF Happened!?!

    • Zacker
    • March 8, 2008 at 10:35 PM

    All the screenshots have a funny/interesting look to them which I can't really decide if I like or not. There is something about the textures and shaders which makes things look kinda wierd. Some of the aliens seem to have metal skin. The engine also seems to be have a really effective smoothing technique as the models look really high poly and anti-aliased. But again, I am not really sure exactly what it is and I have always also had the same feeling about the looks of the BIA games.

  • Best game engine in the world - aka the retarded olympics

    • Zacker
    • March 7, 2008 at 8:18 PM

    After having worked with the Unreal engine for some months now I am still nowhere near my skill level in Source. I can however already now say that it's clearly a better engine. So it's a real pain in the ass as always to learn a new engine, but it helps that there is lots of very nice stuff in this one.

  • Die In Pain Rest In Peace

    • Zacker
    • March 5, 2008 at 11:00 AM

    Those vehicle models look pretty good even though I don't really feel that the texturing is any good on them. The environments are not particularly interesting either.

  • Battlefield Heroes

    • Zacker
    • March 4, 2008 at 10:38 AM

    I love it!

  • MapCore Job Census

    • Zacker
    • February 29, 2008 at 10:04 AM

    Congrats Method! That job seems very much suited for you indeed!

  • Annual Post Your Desktop '08

    • Zacker
    • February 28, 2008 at 12:38 PM

    I approve of Peris' and Evert's background:)

  • Stage6 to Shut Down on February 28!

    • Zacker
    • February 28, 2008 at 12:34 PM

    Sad:(

  • Source lighting, your best tips?

    • Zacker
    • February 28, 2008 at 11:12 AM
    Quote from dissonance

    I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that lightmap sizes do not effect performance ingame, just filesize, but do they do anything to the amount of ram, either system or graphics, that is being used? tl;dr: do bigger lightmaps = more ram used?

    Quote from Zacker

    Another thing regarding high res lightmaps you should worry about is really the amount additional texture memory it takes. Most people have plenty of HDD space but a limited amount of gfx mem.

    So yes, they do affect the amount of texture memory used, which is usually stored on the gfx mem. If you hit the limit gfx mem limit here and it goes over and have to use the system memory, then you will get an ingame performance impact. In general you should treat lightmap memory performance concerns in the same way as you usually deal with textures and memory.

  • Gamasutra - Nine Paths To Indie Game Greatness

    • Zacker
    • February 27, 2008 at 9:42 AM

    Nice read! Not anything really surprising in there, but a very fine and comprehensive article about Indie Game Development!

  • GDC 08: CryENGINE 2 Movies

    • Zacker
    • February 25, 2008 at 3:16 PM

    That is quite amazing and well done!

  • Source lighting, your best tips?

    • Zacker
    • February 21, 2008 at 10:33 AM
    Quote from PogoP

    I'll go into more detail about lightmaps. These are very handy, something that will make your map look better than the 'newbie' style, as you mentioned. When you go to texture something, check out the 'lightmap' scale in the texture applicator. The lower this value, the sharp shadows will look on that particular face. So use this to create some nice shadows. The lowest I tend to use is 2, I think 1 is just too much. However, don't go mad with lowering your lightmap values, it will drastically increase the size of your map's BSP file. You can also raise the lightmap scale for faces that won't have much light cast on them, which will lower your BSP size.

    You only mention BSP size there, but another thing regarding high res lightmaps you should worry about is really the amount additional texture memory it takes. Most people have plenty of HDD space but a limited amount of gfx mem.

  • Level Design Help Files

    • Zacker
    • February 20, 2008 at 6:11 PM

    We have collected a bunch of good links for Unreal Engine 3.0 on our course website:

    http://www.itu.dk/courses/MSU/F2008/

    http://itu.dk/people/peder/

  • Tablets?

    • Zacker
    • February 20, 2008 at 2:55 PM

    Wacom Intuos 3 A5 is highly recommended.

  • Banjo

    • Zacker
    • February 20, 2008 at 2:37 PM

    I would love to learn how to get my renders to look like that...

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™