1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Zacker

Posts by Zacker

  • EU / US Power Cables

    • Zacker
    • August 10, 2008 at 6:19 PM
    Quote from madgernader

    What are the benefits of having the higher voltage plugs? I'd imagine that there must be something , but I can also imagine its probably nothing too big since neither side has started to move towards the others solution...

    Higher voltage means lower power loss during cables.

  • post your pic extravaganza 2008!!!~

    • Zacker
    • August 5, 2008 at 9:38 AM
    Quote from e-freak

    details plz - why would you play with that stuff on seaside with additional lighting around you o_O

    It was a photo session and the photographer did various wierd shit to the image including backlight coming from nowhere and heavy barrel distortion making my one leg quite stretched.

  • post your pic extravaganza 2008!!!~

    • Zacker
    • August 4, 2008 at 5:18 PM

    A couple of a pictures from my life below, first a random party shot:

    [Blocked Image: http://thefuture.dk/1/IMG_0027.jpg]

    Me and a friend playing with -200 degrees liquid nitrogen:

    [Blocked Image: http://thefuture.dk/1/duf_billede1.jpg]

  • Good luck Arttu :D

    • Zacker
    • July 31, 2008 at 8:04 PM

    Congrats on getting an interview at Valve, that's quite a feat! I really think that you should be happy about that you had a good day and that they wanted you for an interview. With your portfolio should easily be able to find a job at some other great place.

  • level Design book Second Edition + Large Level Design Survey

    • Zacker
    • July 31, 2008 at 6:45 PM

    That's great Hourences! It's no more than a few days ago that I last gave a lecture on level design which was highly inspired by your book.

  • Moving on

    • Zacker
    • July 20, 2008 at 2:48 PM

    Hey, I thought I should make a post here to say that I resigned as level designer IO effective as of the 29th of August. Some of you have seen it on LinkedIn or heard about it already, so a post for all must be in place.

    I am leaving to pursue a bachelors degree in Medialogy(http://www.media.aau.dk).

    It was no easy decission to make as I have really enjoyed being at IOI and learnt incredible much there. In the few years I have been at IO I have been so lucky to be involved in three different projects, each of them cooler than the other.

    I do however believe that the time is right for me to study further. If I don't do this now I am afraid that I never will and then regret that in 5-10 years. I always knew that I wanted some further education, I just have never been a 100% sure of when to do it or what to study.

    The Medialogy course is a quite a broad one as it focuses on combining creativity and technology, that is in particular the technologies behind tv, computergames, music and theater. I really believe that this will be some exciting years and that it's going to be great to fun to do projects like this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qghB9C6lqkY

    Worst thing of course is that I will no longer sitting next to Warby and Mazy everyday:/

  • Finally, Adam Foster joins Valve

    • Zacker
    • July 19, 2008 at 9:49 PM

    I did not like Minerva at all, but I acknowledge that it got an extremely impressive amount of attention from both gamers, modders and the online world in general. This must indeed be his dream job:)

  • Duke! The most weird trailer, ever?!

    • Zacker
    • July 17, 2008 at 3:16 PM

    Best trailer ev3r!

  • RAGE

    • Zacker
    • July 15, 2008 at 11:50 AM

    That looks pretty good!

  • Mirror's Edge

    • Zacker
    • July 15, 2008 at 9:45 AM

    I really really like the looks of this. After studying the looks I have concluded that it must be the fact that it actually looks very similar to Half-Life. Just a screenshot like this one, http://cdn2.shacknews.com/public/images ... e7716f.jpg, it could so much be one of the missile silos or test chambers in HL.

    The shot at 0:33 in trailer just needs barney knocking on the door on the left and it would be straight out of a train ride in the black mesa facility.

  • Where are all the Level Designers?

    • Zacker
    • July 15, 2008 at 9:30 AM

    Lots of interesting discussions in this one thread I must say!

    Quote

    We have mapcore and its cool and all but we only have maybe a couple of dozen LD's here. With all the companys out there there must be thousands of professionals alone tho. I don't get it where they come from, where they hang out on the internet etc.

    It's most certainly not a level designer specific thing, on the contrary I would almost say. Most developers just simply doesn't hang out on the internet as much as we do. For the ones with a family I can totally understand that what they have of time outside work hours, they want to spend with their family. And for IOI, it' is, as Soenke says, pretty much everyone here who have wife and kids.

    The gaming industry is very much a place to work while having a family. There might be some long hours around crunch, but it is usually also a very flexible place to work. And flexibility is very much you need when dealing when especially small children. Furthermore this industry is totally not reliant on how the global economy is evolving. If you have the skills, you will always be able to find a job here. Furthermore people have a tendency to play more video games in bad times due to escapism which means that your skills might be even more desired when the economy is going down.

    Not browsing forums like these are in particular true for the people who did not come from the internet and were not raised there like most of us Mapcorians were. Level designers here at IOI come with some quite mixed backgrounds, mostly because almost everyone here have had at least a degree and a few jobs in the industry before landing here.

    Quote

    I think level designers are very underestimated in the game design industry. Environment artists get all the credit for making the awesome-looking models/textures, the people that make the game immersive through gameplay don't get as much credit at all.

    I totally do not agree with this. Everything in games is based around level design and that's also the way it should be. The graphic artists only have stuff to work on because level designers deliver mockup for them to make pretty.

    Quote

    Basically, if one of them has a portfolio, he works as a level artist, not a level designer.

    Again I disagree here. I might not be doing the actual art for my levels, but I am still very much the guy who works closest with the environment artist on the level. It is for a large part my design ideas, visions and fantasy which he is helping to bring to life.

    I acknowledge that you can't see much of the gameplay in screenshots. You can however get to feel what kind of level this is, what emotions it brings and what the story behind this place is. A piece of architecture and the composition of it's elements is telling so much about what the level designer was thinking.

  • Flagship is going bust!?

    • Zacker
    • July 14, 2008 at 11:54 AM

    Woah, there is quite a bunch of rumors and conflicting statements flying around here. I think it's quite sad to see as I have heard that Hellgate: London had lots of good ideas and elements. I was going to try it myself at some point, but I guess that's not possible anymore if they are closing down the servers?

  • Buying new laptop, need help!

    • Zacker
    • July 9, 2008 at 3:06 PM

    You want a laptop that last for years for both graphic design and gaming? That puts you in quite a high price segment and a place where I really would recommend a desktop pc instead.

    If you want a good price/performance ratio I can also recommend http://www.zepto.com.

  • My new portfolio - thiagoklafke.com (updated 06/12)

    • Zacker
    • July 3, 2008 at 9:43 AM
    Quote from aaron_da_killa

    Also, I think you'll find that an environment artist and level designer are the same thing (unless that was intentional), 3D artist is the term for a modeler .

    Wrong.

  • MapCore Job Census

    • Zacker
    • July 3, 2008 at 9:27 AM

    My 2 cents:

    - I don't like a thread with way too much information which will rarely get updated anyway. Better keep it clean, lean and up to date:)

    - I think it's totally fine with this long thread. It's not like that I am forced to read through all pages or anything:)

  • James Bond - Quantum of Solace Trailer!

    • Zacker
    • July 1, 2008 at 5:07 PM

    The one in between shots in the fan trailer.

    I'm totally with Soenke here, the fan made trailer does imo feature a style which is more attactive to me than the very commercial and generic bond movie trailer the real one is.

  • Diablo 3

    • Zacker
    • July 1, 2008 at 3:02 PM
    Quote from dux

    [Blocked Image: http://i31.tinypic.com/9gkncn.jpg]

    I'm totally with you on this one!

  • James Bond - Quantum of Solace Trailer!

    • Zacker
    • June 30, 2008 at 7:00 PM

    WTF, isn't the metal texture in that trailer THE metal texture?

  • WALL-E

    • Zacker
    • June 30, 2008 at 6:56 PM

    Woah that's some impressive reviews! Seems like Pixar did it again...

  • Game AI Developer interview questions

    • Zacker
    • June 30, 2008 at 12:44 PM

    That's a pretty cool list!

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™