I was lucky enough to get an invite in the last wave, and while I've spent most of my time playing Fallout 4 instead, I've had quite a few games in Overwatch and it is really fun... as long as you win (a hurr durr). Tried most heroes, not all, and before I even began playing or saw streams outside of developer gameplay, I was set on that Bastion & McCree would be my main boys. Well, turns out that the newly added tank hero D.va is my current favorite after playing her quite a bit. Very mobile tank thanks to her jets, allows for a quick disengage if shit hits the fan, a shield that covers a massive area in front of her that vaporizes any and all projectiles (beam weapons still shit on you), and an ultimate ability that makes the enemy team run for their lives (her mech turns into a massive bomb, of course you leg it). The only problem I have with her at the moment, is how slow she is when attacking. Since her damage is best up close, it's not hard to outrun her. Probably why you need to use jets to get up in their faces, but I often find myself saving jets to get out of sticky situations rather than initiate. I think she should either A) get a slight damage buff, like better range, or B) move faster when firing. But then again she is a Tank and should probably be in the enemys face like the other tanks to shine.
Anyway, when it comes to other heroes, the assault hero I am doing most work with is Reaper, as his teleport lets you get behind enemy lines quite easily, once you learn the maps, plus his weapons does ridiculous damage up close, easily wrecking most heroes if you can aim. My favorite support so far is also one of the new heroes: Mei. You can be such a dick with those ice walls of hers, plus she is a great counter to fast heroes, as her cryogun slowly freezes enemies in place, allowing you to finish them off with a secondary fire shot to the face + melee. And my favorite healer hero is ... I dunno, depends on the team, but I tend to pick Symmetra, with her annoying turrets, spammable shield on allies and her ultimate ability that helps your team lots: Teleport. Also one thing about her main weapon is that primary fire does increasing damage over time on a target (I've killed tanks this way), and her secondary fire can't be blocked by any means but is easily dodged.
Now, there has already been a tournament in the beta to see how well this game plays in a competitive environment, and there is clans setting up Overwatch-teams for release. But it has been decided pretty fast that this game needs a Stopwatch mode to appeal to the competitive scene, as right now it's very difficult to determine winners in a Best-Out-Of system which relies on timers or team score, especially because of the overtime mechanic. But then the people who play competitively tend to be a minority, and if you balance a game around ~5% of the playerbase, it turns to shit.