Posts by Tequila
-
-
Quote from CrackerjackDisplay More
After reading this i have gotten very excited and I would deff like to be in.If there are three teams, which i would suggest, I think we should follow certain themes from HL2, bringing the player back to the game and almost wanting to play it agian. Thats something i believe Valve will be looking for. Here are the three themes I thought of.
1) The Citadel (the area where you recieve the upgraded G-Gun)
2) A place similiar to trapville (the area with all the aliens and the priest with the shotgun)
3) Either the junkyard where "Dog" is or the opening train area.
These three themes could be split up into the three teams, the teams then could work a decent layout involving all the things that are required to make an excellent DM map. In example: A difference in height through out the level, placement of weapons and power ups, every hall way leads to another (no dead ends). Im personally down for doing the citadel.
I also agree with Friechamp in creating a temporary forum where we can post about this subject and get things organized.
Please give me your thoughts on this.
Citadel sounds good to me. I had the idea of putting those Combine devices that strip you of weapons to good use. Perhaps you have to face a gauntlet of them, losing your weapons but at the end is a RPG or something equally powerful to go wild with. Oh, and an alternative one-way exit so you don't have to lose it again.

-
I've already signed up on my own, no group name, but this was before I saw all the Mapcore stuff, so hopefully they'll be no problem in joining a group using my current SteamID.
-
You know where the whole team has to sign their signatures? How are a team hundreds of miles apart going to manage that, unless I'm being silly and it just means a typed signature?
Anyhoo, I've decided it would be stupid to go lone-star on this; two heads are better than one etc. and with Mapcore's surplus amount of talent, we can't lose.
Now we just need to work out the teams.
-
I'm definitely in, but Christ, why can't we email the finished product? Air mail is going to be expensive for us Europeans...
-
Quote from OL
i wonder if its teamplay civs vs combine or old hl style.. OR BOTH!_________________
[Blocked Image: http://ol.the650.org/image/olordhux3.jpg]
HA, made you think my post was over!
ok now it is
[Blocked Image: http://www.research.unimelb.edu.au/innovation/innovation02.jpg]
-
Reminds me of Silent Hill 3, only less evil.
-
-
Quote from -Stratesiz-
Some sort of freedom would be appreciated, for example, the city is too linear which makes it feel less like a city. The areas where you can fight the striders are too restricted. It felt mostly like a box with striders.Maps with more A and B objectives before you can continue give a sense of freedom. Think of the area with the tentacles in HL1 or the building with the generator thingiesin HL2 . Too linear areas break the illusion of a fully functional world.
More things like that would have been nice, but that isn't to say they don't exist in HL2. The bit where you have to use debris to cross the dangerous sand gives the player tons of choice, and it's the physics that not only allow this to happen, but also make the world seem much more 'fully functional' that HL1 could ever manage.
-
Or co-op? The pic looks like Citizens vs Combine.
Either way, it's the fucking bee's knees.
-
Quote from curman
nah but here in the US, if a number has "555" in in it , it means theres no such phone company so its like...not..real...likeunderstand what i mean? it lets phone companies no its not a real number so it doesnt dial it
I do believe Hollywood organised that decades ago with the phone companies, and it's become standard for more than just films.
-
Exactly. And all this "but it's linear!" bullshit is starting to annoy me. Newsflash: few games are non-linear; Deus Ex, for example, is linear, but you are given a certain amount of leeway in your actions. However, it still follows a narrative path that will carry you from the beginning to a choice of three definite endings. Films are linear - HL2 is like a fine action film, only one you have control over.
Basically, linearity is NOT a bad thing, so stop using it as a negative aspect for HL2.
Now, I can safely say that HL2 is my favourite game, the best I've played since the original HL, which in-turn was the best I'd played since those magical SNES classics - Mario World, Link To The Past, Super Metroid etc. and, of course, the modding potential blows my mind; another reason to absolutely love the thing. But of course, that's just my viewpoint. I'm sorry if you can't truly enjoy HL2 like I can, for whatever reasons, but man, don't totally rain on its oh-so-fine parade.
-
Steam Silver. A lot better than I thought it would be, that method.
-
I'd say talented animators are the hardest to find, above a good coder, and brilliant texture artists are pretty elusive too. You're right though; the coder has to tie all the content in, and keep the 'engine under the bonnet' running smoothly, so to speak.
-
-
-
Yeah, Source is too tempting, and I haven't got any more work to show since my last application many months ago.
-
Would be helpful if you explained what the hell it is.

-
Quote from Pericolos0
look very nice
but i hope u do realise that its a matter of months till we see 1000+ maps with those same props and textures. 
Well, the HL2 props and textures will be properly unlocked next week, so it won't be too bad.
-