I just hope it's a bit less Goddamn linear! ![]()
Posts by Tequila
-
-
Quote from kleinluka
well take a game like splinter cell which completely relies on and only works because of the lighting and it starts to make a bit more sense to have somebody dedicated to getting it just right.
Perhaps, but in such a scenario I would simply expect the map files to change hands a few times, so each designer can have their own input and fill in others' weaknesses, rather that having a singular lighting guru.
-
Having a specific artist working on purely lighting seems ridiculous to me; makes me conjur up images of the development team looking like this:
[Blocked Image: http://www.marcthompsonscrapbook.co.uk/changingrooms/images/changingrooms1.jpg]
On the other end of the spectrum, 'a jack of all trades is a master of none' rings true. It's all about finding a happy medium.
-
Tasty, great stuff Zazi.
And Mazy, I'm working on a map for the competition that I should be able to show off soon.
-
Looks very detailed and lively, but I do think the lighting lets it down. That is, outdoor lighting could do with tweaking, but indoor lighting needs a rethink; as it is, the geometry is squandered by bland greys - add some contrasting reds, blues, greens etc. in supporting roles, put in sweeping spotlights to create unusual light patches (see Ravenholm in HL2), just be creative in general.
-
Thor stole it.
-
And make it 8 players rather than 10. Just to hedge bandwidth bets.

-
The boat was chopped because it was part of a completely alternate storyline, in which Gordon sails to C17, with the ship being beset by Combine forces during the trip.
The docks was just a proof-of-concept, along with all the stuff you saw during E3 2003. The Gamespot 'Making Of HL2' article goes into much greater detail.
-
They're adding both the crowbar and the stunstick (which wasn't in HL2 as a weapon) to HL2DM though.
-
In regards to the trees, I reckon you could get away with 3d props in front of that 2d composite performance-wise. It would just look a whole lot better. Also, you need to clip off a certain height, cause players can get up there and cause mischief.
-
Just had a blast on it; great fun and a great start, but there's a long way to go in polishing up this beast.

-
ai_relationship.
You have to tell the AI to hate the player.
-
For the last time, remaking an existing map invalidates your entry into the contest. They must be original!
Anyhoo, it's a saucy remake, only critique I can give is that some of the lights seem a little too intense and washed out, but I guess it's early days on that front.
-
Quote from KIIIA
http://shatteredminds.net/bounce/boing12.jpgA Model of a blinky blue polished Hightech Console thingy in a ruined bunker?
That makes me think of noobs , thinking a shit looking map could become beautyfull if stuffed with nice prefabs!
That u aren`t a noob , is proved by most of the other pics that look quite good.
My advice to u : If this map is made as an entry to the HL2DM Comp of Valve , don`t just remake it , but even try to improve it with new ( better ) gameplay!
It always sounds better and makes it more interesting when you add new rooms and possibilities.I don`t think a pure remake can win ( no matter how nice it`s done ).
He can't enter it into the Valve comp. because it isn't an original entry.
-
Thumbs up.
Oh, and the large plank is staple Bounce, it can't be changed!
-
Still, I would prefer a map that cuts back on the randomly strewn physics objects and goes back to HL1 DM roots, which is what I plan on doing.
-
-
What's 'ArtRage'?
Looks nice, by the way.

-
-