1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. insta

Posts by insta

  • SoW1 vs. HL2 - Graphic quality

    • insta
    • June 2, 2005 at 12:53 PM

    This sure is a worthwhile discussion

  • Miss Universe 2005

    • insta
    • June 1, 2005 at 11:50 AM
    Quote from silver

    I'd hit her

    With a brick.

  • prey vid

    • insta
    • May 31, 2005 at 3:06 PM
    Quote from -Stratesiz-

    Whatever "quality assurance" means. To me it just sounds like a forced attempt to market the brand.

    I guess Remedy just sent over a pre-release copy so that 3dr could playtest it for a day or two, BAM, "quality assurance"

  • prey vid

    • insta
    • May 31, 2005 at 1:48 PM
    Quote from Thrik

    God, that looks great. I particularly like the usage of portals and gravity adjustment type stuff. Funnily enough, one of the only other games I've seen that in recently is Psychonauts, of all games.But man, looks great. I've always admired 3D Realms, and their ability to create fairly fresh and exciting games in a generally monotonous genre. The visuals also look bloody great, and they've clearly stretched the D3 engine a lot if that is indeed what they're using.

    3drealms? It's developed by Human Head studios. 3drealms just owns the IP and slaps their name on the box, sort of like what they did with Max Payne.

  • IN THIS THREAD I WILL ANSWER YOUR SOURCE QUESTIONS

    • insta
    • May 30, 2005 at 4:41 PM

    That's sort of a silly way of making a 45 degree turn, but here's a nice picture :

    [Blocked Image: http://img200.echo.cx/img200/3112/mikeo6hf.jpg]

    Basically, just make triangles out of the "filler"-brushes, then line them up with the brushes you have. I noticed you are making a slope, so that's why you have to make them into triangles first, otherwise you will get all sorts of neat errors.

  • Hi guys

    • insta
    • May 30, 2005 at 1:48 PM

    Hi! Enjoy your stay here

  • Portfolio snaps

    • insta
    • May 30, 2005 at 1:47 PM

    Superbly fantastical

  • Oh noes, ur map has teh been stoeled~~?!

    • insta
    • May 30, 2005 at 1:45 PM
    Quote from silver

    I just want to say that both we have all decided from the egir.dk crew to ban maxwell^ and that we are all very sorry about his actions

    Hooray, the system works!

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • insta
    • May 30, 2005 at 9:05 AM

    Reminds me of a rural version of Farcry

  • Oh noes, ur map has teh been stoeled~~?!

    • insta
    • May 28, 2005 at 6:46 PM
    Quote from Phlek

    What a nutfucker....but I guess you should be proub that he chose your work. INS team posted this in a news post about 3 months ago, "Imitation is the highest form of flattery." Ahhhh I love that saying.

    It's not imitation though, he just found a bunch of screenshots of impressive maps, then passed them off as his own to impress his forum-buddies. I would say that's pretty close to stealing, which is not very flattering at all.

  • Oh noes, ur map has teh been stoeled~~?!

    • insta
    • May 28, 2005 at 4:47 PM

    God that shit pisses me off. Talentless fucknugget.

  • Quake IV on time for Christmas (maybe)

    • insta
    • May 27, 2005 at 3:11 PM

    Awesome. I love the Q2/4 art style when it comes to enemies.

  • I'm Rick James bitch!

    • insta
    • May 26, 2005 at 11:26 PM
    Quote from mike-0

    you nggas take one more step, ill throw this mothafuckin ngga out the window!

    If you negros intend to step closer, I shall dispose of this cursed negro out of my window.

  • GOD. Spore. GOD.

    • insta
    • May 26, 2005 at 10:58 PM

    I watched it earlier, and it does indeed look extremely awesome. I wonder if there will be any "goal" of the game, or if you can continue evolving for as long as you want.

  • A gamer's manifesto

    • insta
    • May 26, 2005 at 5:06 PM
    Quote from ReNo

    I really like checkpoint saves in some games. Quicksave makes things too easy and even in games that have it I tend to use it sparingly. Games like Halo and Republic Commando, which have forgiving health systems and checkpoint saves, work best in my opinion. If you look at the likes of Doom 3 or HL2 with the familiar old health systems and quicksave, you are too encouraged to retry an area or save after every "good" and "economic" kill in order to get through it using the minimum health and ammo, giving you a better chance in the next encounter. I prefer to want to continue on regardless of how well I did an area - far more immersive in my opinion.

    It really really depends on the game. Operation Flashpoint used a checkpoint system (as well as giving the player one save per map, which could be used at any time), and it sorta sucked, since enemies could drop you in one or two bullets, and you never knew when to expect the mission to end or how far away you were from the next checkpoint.

    (This caused me several times to use my valuable savegame maybe 4-5 meters away from a checkpoint. Argh!)

    Games like HL2,D3 and such are fitting for a checkpoint system (autosave), since there are plenty of checkpoints per map, and you can trust the game to not fuck you over completely,so you can just play the game and not hover over the quicksave button. If you die, no problem, you reload and find yourself 5 minutes away from where you died, and you can do it all over again (but this time better, faster, stronger!!). It's not a big deal to die, since the player is more or less a superhuman, and combat is easy and fun.

  • Snarkpit 2005 mapping contest

    • insta
    • May 26, 2005 at 4:12 PM

    Cool, can't wait to see what people come up with. I'd love to make a map, but I have way too much stuff going on already

  • Dm_Threshold

    • insta
    • May 25, 2005 at 11:45 PM

    Oh yeah, oops. I'll get around to releasing it one of these days

  • Community Death Match map project (HL2)

    • insta
    • May 25, 2005 at 11:44 PM
    Quote from Phlek

    Also notice that the majority of the team consists of 12-15 year olds.......and one 20 year old. Maybe why it looks like shit, no experience at all on that team.

    I don't know about that, CampaignJunkie is a very good mapper, and he's contributing,

  • 24

    • insta
    • May 25, 2005 at 11:15 PM

    I've never seen a full episode. I'm far too busy beating off to Lost.

  • A gamer's manifesto

    • insta
    • May 25, 2005 at 11:14 PM

    Great read, 100% agreed on the crate rant.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™