1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. von*ferret

Posts by von*ferret

  • Mods

    • von*ferret
    • August 2, 2005 at 7:26 AM

    well in the past level design more or less was creating the world in which stories are told. In the future level design will be more gameplay oriented with different people dealing with gameplay, scripted sequences, and other art assetts. So if you want to make levels I'd suggest downloading the Source SDK through steam, going to http://www.snarkpit.net and read some of their fine tutorials. See what you can come up with. Make a couple of test "maps" learn the tools, and than create something unique and exciting to show off. Thats the best way to learn. Have peopel critique your work and be harsh to you. Thats how I'm learning to model right now. So I guess thats my number one tip (yes i'm not the best at it sometimes...wacko) But look for as much critiquing as you can, and listen to everyone's opinion. Cause it'll help you soooo much in the long run.

    Goodluck!

  • dm_torrent [FINISHED]

    • von*ferret
    • August 2, 2005 at 7:14 AM

    lookslike a nice polished level to me, congrats!

  • ART CONTEST : CREATE YOUR OWN IPOD AD

    • von*ferret
    • August 2, 2005 at 6:02 AM

    to emphasize his bowl cut and her arm

  • ART CONTEST : CREATE YOUR OWN IPOD AD

    • von*ferret
    • August 2, 2005 at 5:58 AM

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thevon.net/images/pPod.jpg]

    was going to entitle it with PPod but I dont wanna confuse~

  • ESRB CONCLUDES INVESTIGATION INTO GTA: SAN ANDREAS

    • von*ferret
    • August 2, 2005 at 2:00 AM

    Well I'm not one to assume that half the world is retarded and ddont read descriptions, its not just an US fad.

  • Looking for weapon artist to work at Ubisoft

    • von*ferret
    • August 2, 2005 at 1:42 AM

    and rig, and animate, and create the fx sprites for it, and particle engine, and code C++

    jk

    /me huggles klein goodluck meh friend

  • hey guys theres a hot new modeling contest goin down

    • von*ferret
    • August 2, 2005 at 1:42 AM

    Nice way to gain attentino to the lower forums on the list lol gg ol.

    *though I think it should be in the WIP modeling forum like the texture contests are.

  • ESRB CONCLUDES INVESTIGATION INTO GTA: SAN ANDREAS

    • von*ferret
    • August 2, 2005 at 1:41 AM

    In my opinion this is just one more example of how the US government is trying to parent my own children instead of myself taking the responsibility as the father and approving what my children play.

    I myself dont need the government to govern my family.

  • My new hobby

    • von*ferret
    • August 2, 2005 at 1:40 AM

    The only two people I knew who wanted to do this, were total tools. But since you're not its ok good luck!

  • Official Halflife 2 Textures

    • von*ferret
    • August 2, 2005 at 1:38 AM

    Most people who come here randomly looking at these textures and posting without thinking dont realize there is a sister thread (at least there was last time I checked) that had the authors and their textures.

  • Cool Kids modeling contest, make a crate

    • von*ferret
    • August 1, 2005 at 9:43 PM

    lol m azzle is spot on

  • Mongo Smurfs Home

    • von*ferret
    • August 1, 2005 at 7:48 PM

    If youare going cartoony, a photoreferenced chimney texture may not be the wisest of options. Otherwise looks like a solidly built model.

  • game art - cartoony hill

    • von*ferret
    • July 31, 2005 at 11:49 PM

    yesss much better in my opinoin

  • Arbogast

    • von*ferret
    • July 31, 2005 at 11:09 PM

    Well we all know mazzle has the ability to create the custom material, but I'm assuming time constraints means he can't. We can all agree this isn't apathy, rather his level looks extraordinary.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • von*ferret
    • July 31, 2005 at 11:09 PM

    Doesn't feel moody, just feels dark. Try to think of how colors can effect moods and build it from there. Use color, sound (lots of sound), and atmopsheric details to get mood. Like I said, it just looks dark to me.

  • Arbogast

    • von*ferret
    • July 31, 2005 at 11:07 PM

    Beautiful depth everywhere. I love it. Only gripe I have is the railing on the left has no depth in it cause I'm taking its simply a brush. Aren't we past that? Unless its non-player accessible in which case nevermind lol

  • game art - cartoony hill

    • von*ferret
    • July 31, 2005 at 6:36 PM

    Too many colors and you're just going to have a muddy pallette in my opinion.

  • Elvish Warrior

    • von*ferret
    • July 30, 2005 at 3:16 PM

    Yeah the concept art isn't very clear for you guys. Its explained better in my production art (front, side ect)

  • Elvish Warrior

    • von*ferret
    • July 30, 2005 at 6:44 AM

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thevon.net/dewm2.jpg]

    Got some major work to do with the legs and a little to do with the arms and hands. Started the boots but I'm working on smoothing groups and shit, but I'll do that mostly when I'm done modeling the geometry. Yeah there are odd bulges on the legs, I gotta fix that too

  • Elvish Warrior

    • von*ferret
    • July 30, 2005 at 6:25 AM

    Trying to push as many polygons as I can possibly manage within the time contraints. Idea is that it could be normal mapped if I had time later on, but I'm focusing on level design, not character modeling.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™