1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Minos

Posts by Minos

  • Car Photoshoot

    • Minos
    • September 18, 2007 at 4:41 AM

    Awesome pics

  • Ecuador

    • Minos
    • September 18, 2007 at 4:37 AM

    Ecuador sounds a lot like Paraguay (when it comes to security guards on every corner). A cousin of mine spent 2 years there and although it's a very poor and violent place their culture is rather cool.

  • Streamline studios

    • Minos
    • September 17, 2007 at 10:50 PM

    Found this on game-artist.net and it's rather funny if you ask me.

    Quote

    "Well I left recently after 3 1/2 months working in Amsterdam. I will give my impression of the place, I will try to be as fair as possible but you can take it as you like. I will do my best to keep to the facts but any rumours or heresay which I feel I have to put in will be maked as such.GOOD POINTS

    Colleages: the people working in Streamline are a great bunch of people - a little weird but great people none the less. Somedays I could have done without the conversation about cock-cheese in my left ear and the conversation about fisting in the right ear. I dont know whether this is because of the wild mix of european and yanks or whether it was just sexual frustration. Who knows. Conversation is always lively and entertaining. Mind you a room full of artists all on sugar rushes from pixie sticks (2 foot long sherbert straws) is a sight to behold....

    There are some seriously talented people here, if you dont know something, someone here will. It was a privilige working with these people, they are good.

    People go out regularly, you can get pissed or stoned, whatever is your preference

    Dont know about programming tools but I never heard any complaints from the programmers (and I lived with a couple of em). Most artists who required them had A4 Wacoms, some were using their own. *rumour* those that didnt were due to get them, they were on order *rumour*

    Office Environment: A nice modern office in an industrial estate. There is a train/tram station less than 10 minutes away making commuting easy. There is a range of food places within easy walking distance as well as a couple of supermakets and a market.

    BAD POINTS

    Pay: Ill be honest here, the pay is shit. With very, very few exceptions pay is 1/2 to 2/3 of market rate. One concept artist was getting €1200 a month, he would have earned more stacking shelves in Albert Heijn, he only got more when he raised a stink cos the new concept artist was getting considerably more. Many artists were getting paid a juniors salary and the juniors were getting less. Programmers too were not getting market pay. Consequently there are alot of newbs straight out of college etc. cos they are the only peopl e willing to take the low pay.

    Contracts: I like many others was offered a six month contract as an independant contractor.

    This is the big red flag!!! Almost everyone here is a "contractor" even the newbs, which basicly means you are getting screwed out of all your rights. This isnt a case of good business practice - hiring genuine contractors for a project and then letting them go. This stinks. Virtually no one here is willing or really mature enough to be their own business. This is done purely to save the business money and is nothing but exploitation. As a contractor they have removed all your rights under the working time directive - no paid holidays, no sick pay, no overtime limits - in fact if your sick for a fortnight they can cancel your contract, essentially your fired.

    *heresay* there was a seven asset rule, you had to produce a set number of assets in a month or lose money, there was no rule stating if you produced more assets you got more money. *heresay*

    overtime: Well, with no limit on overtime, a set number of assets to produce to a very high standard (Epic are one of streamlines stated clients) and relatively inexperienced staff meant that most staff did shit loads of overtime. There was ALWAYS someone working at the weekend. I personally didnt as I was always ahead of my personal schedule, but most people weren't. It wasnt their fault either, they were working their asses off. Scheduling actually isnt that bad -providing everyone is an industry experienced artist, oh wait there's a load of newbs....

    Accommodation: The company provides accomodation for you when you first start. They charge you market rent for it too. The place I stayed in was nice and the comanies other places seemed good too. A couple of colleagues who started at the shortly after me were given a six month contract for their accomodation. After 3 months they were asked if they could move out into private accomodation - this is without the guarantee of an extension to his six month work contract - this could have meant he was stuck with a rental contract and no job. Now I dont know about the Netherlands but a six month lease on a room in the UK is just that and you cant force someone to leave cos it doesnt suit you...

    Management: I have to say that the twins who own the place seem pretty passionate about what they do. Unfortunately the people around them aren't quite so hot. There is a little nepotism in that there are friends in the higher up spots but its not more that youd expect anywhere else and most people are at least capable of doing their jobs. There are some exceptions however, When I was hired the person who was in charge of HR at the time didnt get my contract to me before I actually got to Amsterdam Doh! HR has since had a change of staff and the current incumbent seems much better.

    The financial director is tighter than a ducks arse which is what I think leads to a lot of the problems.

    There is one man who is almost universally reviled. An example: He called a "Voluntary" meeting for the art staff to discuss any problems or issues thay had. Some of us duly went along and in the politest possible manner expressed our views.

    *heresay from a reliable source* Later that day he had a meeting with the higher ups and not only claimed that we had called the meeting but said that is was a bunch of griping from "the usual trouble makers". This is not what Id call conductive to happy staff.

    There are other examples of what this man has done but I wasnt witness to them. Suffice to say he is not very popular.

    Art leads and producers seem reasonable competent

    at their jobs but there does seem to be a general disregard for the grunts in the higher management which has lead to the current practices and some very low morale.

    In summary then, some very cool people and art direction. Really low pay and some REALLY dodgy practices which shit on the staff from upon high. I hope this helps out anyone who considers working for Streamline."

    Display More

    Didn't Zazi work for them in the past ?

  • [CSS]de_overdrive

    • Minos
    • September 17, 2007 at 4:38 AM

    Looks cool, my only complaint is that the map is too colorful (as in the colors could be better placed).Here's some read that might be useful for you:

    link 01

    Link 02

    oh and William Gibson owns

  • Fortress Forever is out

    • Minos
    • September 17, 2007 at 4:30 AM

    Congrats on the release, the mod seems pretty stable

  • Before they were famous: A Mikezilla Story

    • Minos
    • September 17, 2007 at 4:22 AM

    Blink 182

    Good find MAC

  • Mario Level that plays itself

    • Minos
    • September 14, 2007 at 4:44 AM

    haha that's awesome indeed

  • Acony Games is hiring: Level Designer for FPS

    • Minos
    • September 13, 2007 at 9:38 PM

    Sounds like an awesome opportunity, I might send them my portfolio

  • De_Forest

    • Minos
    • September 13, 2007 at 4:47 AM

    Damn, now that's a piece of art. Amazing job, grats robert

  • Post your pic extravaganza 2007!!!~

    • Minos
    • September 12, 2007 at 7:42 AM

    The beach looks kind of boring though

  • Post your pic extravaganza 2007!!!~

    • Minos
    • September 12, 2007 at 7:22 AM

    [Blocked Image: http://007o.jeeran.com/trunks1ssj.jpg]

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Minos
    • September 11, 2007 at 3:07 PM

    Kickass stuff

    Not really a fan of the fog setup though (you could use a more colorful tone and set the start distance a little further in my opinion)

  • Euro mutt

    • Minos
    • September 11, 2007 at 3:01 PM

    40% Aryan

    20% Portuguese

    20% Spanish

    20% Italian

  • September's Mini Contest - Go Kart

    • Minos
    • September 9, 2007 at 12:11 AM
    Quote from Sentura

    can one dream that all of these fine models will be put into a game when the contest is over? i'd love to see a race game with this fellas!

    hell that would rock

  • Annoying problem with running Fallout 1 on XP

    • Minos
    • September 8, 2007 at 11:47 PM
    Quote from Sentura

    yeah use the windows 98 compatability, as in right click -> properties -> compatability

    I tried that, didn't work for me

    Quote

    Same, you'll need to run it on Virtual PC @ Win 98.

  • September's Mini Contest - Go Kart

    • Minos
    • September 8, 2007 at 6:03 PM

    hehe looks great so far Zete! Keep it up

  • Guitar n00b asking experienced e-guitarists for advise

    • Minos
    • September 8, 2007 at 5:27 PM

    Hell, get a Les Paul if you can. They are stylish and sound better than standard electric guitars.

    I have a Strato but I just can't get arsed to play it, specialy because I ain't got an amp. SonicDM told me there's a cord to plug it into the pc and some softwares to emulate distortion and stuff... I should go look for it.

  • Football: Portugal - Poland

    • Minos
    • September 8, 2007 at 5:20 PM
    Quote from sk3tch

    Soccer...The great sport America has never embraced. GO POLAND!

    haha they actually try but fail hard:

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    (skip to 01:00... so lame)

  • Annoying problem with running Fallout 1 on XP

    • Minos
    • September 8, 2007 at 5:15 PM

    I recently got Fallout 1 and got very pissed off when I started it up cause the screen just keeps turning to black! I don't know why but the game has some weird refresh issues. I searched a lot of sites (including NMA) and none of them gave me a reasonable solution to the problem. Any of you guys have any idea how to fix it ?

  • How are you doing?

    • Minos
    • September 5, 2007 at 1:06 PM
    Quote from Steppenwolf

    I think i had similar problems when i was in my early 20's and i know that a lot more people have. Could be a Quarter-life crisis. http://%7boption%7dWhen i was 22-24 i was often depressed, had problems with social relationships, did lots of alcohol and drugs. I also was thinking too much about the world like philosophical problems especialy which drived me crazy.

    The last 3-4 years i feel a lot more stable, didnt had depression and i stopped to think too much about everything. Also i'm only a moderate alcohol drinker nowadays and dont do drugs except pot sometimes. Guess my Quarter-life crisis is over.

    hehe I know what you mean, I was unconciously driving myself into that lifestyle a while ago. I had just finished school, lost contact with my friends (aka lost all my social life), didn't manage to get the US visa (americans hate the latin americans ), failed to get accepted at uni and some other shit. And then I met my GF and everything is fine now. I just hope she won't break up with me, otherwise I'll probably try to destroy myself again

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 8, 2026 at 7:49 PM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™