Killer work right there ![]()
Posts by Minos
-
-
Quote from Psyshokiller
Those boxy crates are brushes, that might be the reason why they're not chamfered. It would have been possible ofc but texturing them would have taken a little longer, since you can't treat multiple faces as one, like in hammer, which means sacrificing flexibility. Using a model would have added to the drawcount if not "inlined" (turning models to bsp at dmap). This would also cut back on flexibilty since you can't scale models with Doom3.Maybe that's the reason or they just we're lazy.

doom3 editing sounds like hell

-
Quote from PhilipK
Yeah. You just always want the lowpoly to look as similar as possible to the highpoly and that should apply to the smoothing as well.Didn't really see that on the doom3 crates tho

Overall I thought the content in d3 was very well done compared to most other games.
Some crates are just 6 sided boxes with normal maps baked from a box with chamfered edges. I couldn't see the reason of sacrificing the look to save 12 polys only

But yeah, I agree that the art in d3 is really well done, not questioning that

-
Very nice entries guys, can't wait to see them textured

Buddy: The poly limit is low and that's why these competitions are fun: They separate the men from the mouses. (quoting peris who was probably quoting someone else)
-
If only I could animate... Off limits is looking very good, good luck finding someone to get the job done.
-
Quote from PhilipK
Pretty nice and easy to understand I'd say. However I'm not a fan of how he used a totally smoothed lowpoly like that on the gas tank prop. When baking that the normal map will counteract the actual smoothing as you obviously want that thing to have hard faces. By having it smoothed like that makes him able to stitch the whole uv and save the little extra space having each hard face separated would. Still, especially when overlaying more stuff like that (and he also didn't greyscale the blue channel when overlaying messing that channel up but that's usually no biggie anymore), it might get some very ugly convex or concave shading ingame depending on the engine. I only tend to keep stuff smoothed like that on organic stuff.
Yes I know what you mean. I never really understood why people smooth the entire low poly model prior to baking the normals. That always resulted in bad looking normal maps for me. Of course it works for organic stuff, but for hard edges it's better to keep smoothing groups nicer or chamfer soem edges like you said.
QuoteBut whenever working with constructed hard faced stuff it's always better to also keep the lowpoly hard and split the uv shells OR even better keep the lowpoly smooth but have support edges around all edges that should be "hard" just like the highpoly but that's obviously also more expensive

Yes. That's why those crates in Doom 3 look so weird

-
Looks great BJA.
As for specular map colors it all depends, just test different hues until you find one you like. Basicaly, it must compliment the diffuse map instead of doing its job, so use only desaturated hues, unless you want an extreme effect of course. You can also use the specular color to "white balance" a texture. Let's say, you got a plain yellow texture, it's going to look pretty bad ingame if you use a yellowish specular map. In order to balance it you should use a blue tint instead (which is its complimentary color, that's 180º on the ohter side of the color wheel). These articles should be pretty useful:
http://www.faceters.com/askjeff/answer52.shtml
http://www.iddevnet.com/quake4/ArtRefer ... ecularMaps
http://www.pioroberson.com/tuts/tut_tex ... tricks.htm
http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/tutorials/light01.htm
There's not a rule for this really. Most objects in real life would have a white specular map in a game, but that would look boring. It's more of an artistic decision that's up to you

-
Nice entries so far

-
-
Looking good

Remove the teeth to save some tris and use an alpha map instead.
-
I love how those streets look so cosy without all the cars, trucks, advertising, pollution etc...
-
Those are indeed pretty, I love historical photos =)
del.icio.us'd

-
yup someone lock this thread
-
-
Sim City 4: Most boring sim city ever. Well I haven't played sim city societies but It can't be worse than SC4 I guess

-
bbzzzt Alright so it's about time we have another low poly contest bzzzzzttt
The theme this time is ROBOTS.
Specifications:
- Max polycount: 350 tris
- Max texture size: 256x256 (specular/alpha/glow optional - no normals allowed this time)
Final submissions should include:
1) Your name, email, website, tri count, etc...
2) a 640x480 beauty render
3) a 640x480 viewport grab (no texture filtering + gray background + wireframe. Don't know how to turn texture filtering off? Check this)
4) Your texture flats
5) A link to your model in .obj format + all the texture flats
/!\ I can host the zip/rar files for you if you don't have a host /!\
/!\ Multiple entries are allowed and encouraged /!\
This contest will run from May 14th to June 30th and final submissions should be posted in a specific thread (which will be created later)
Have fun bzzzzt!
-
Morrowind. I found it at a discount store, and thought, why not? I couldn't be arsed to go through thousands and thousands of stats and different ways to customize your character. It's just one of those games that require 24/7 of your time, it's annoying.
I could have bought 4 cartons of cigarettes with that as well...
-
Work on a Unreal3 map, it must be da shit

-
I went to a doc and took x-rays of my backbone this week. I was pretty shocked at how it's crooked. Now I'll have to do therapy to fix my posture for a year at least + practise an sport (swimming probably). The doc told me I will be disabled in less than 10 years if I don't do anything about it. He was probably just trying to scare the shit out of me... but he was pretty successful

-