1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Minos

Posts by Minos

  • Minos' digital sketchbook

    • Minos
    • August 27, 2008 at 7:29 PM

    Another one. My goal was to practise perspective and using photos/textures:

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_009_citydusk.jpg]

  • Any tips or thoughts on good low poly model creation?

    • Minos
    • August 27, 2008 at 7:25 PM

    First you need to know well your target platform. The arabic pottery shop is aimed at the Nintendo DS system, where the polycount and texture memory is a lot more limited than on a PSP or a PC engine. The first example is obviously targeted at a previous gen platform (think Unreal2004), as you can see it uses a much larger texture map.

    Here's a nice list of low poly hardware systems specs:

    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=40563

    Moreover, what kind of models are you working on? Environments or characters? If you are working on characters take a look at these threads, you'll find plenty of examples of good poly distribution and nice looking tiny textures:

    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=51455

    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=41232

    For environments there's this little girl's bedroom I made recently aiming at a DS system. It's not perfect but you can steal some ideas from it (Basically try to cut up as many faces as you can so you can mirror textures and gain double the pixel density, if you can afford the extra polys that is)

    http://thiagoklafke.com/ds_env.html

  • Gearbox Rumored to be Working on Halo 4

    • Minos
    • August 27, 2008 at 7:14 PM

    Halo has been around for 7 years and I never had any desires to even give it a chance. Halo is one of the biggest marketing stunts in video games industry ever, period.

  • Club for people who have seen The Dark Knight

    • Minos
    • August 25, 2008 at 7:46 PM

    Saw it yesterday and loved it, it does live up to the hype. It's way better than Batman Begins in my opinion!

    The only thing I disliked was Gotham City's looks. Where are the Art Deco/Art Nouveau buildings/statues? In this version it looks a lot more like NYC or Metropolis than Gotham city.

  • Meeting?

    • Minos
    • August 25, 2008 at 7:34 PM

    Looks fun

  • Minos' digital sketchbook

    • Minos
    • August 25, 2008 at 7:30 PM
    Quote from kleinluka

    Hey here is a nice speed painting video from one of the concept artists at Grin. It's pretty cool might give you some ideas!http://www.vimeo.com/1598076

    Awesome, thank you klein!

  • Internet Archive Wayback Machine

    • Minos
    • August 22, 2008 at 10:51 PM
    Quote

    Internet Archive Wayback MachineNew post by Buddy on Thu Aug 21, 1988 12:46 pm

  • Zero Gear - an indie multiplayer kart racing game

    • Minos
    • August 22, 2008 at 8:56 PM

    Hide a poster of Clint Eastwood in "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" somewhere

  • Vivi's art thread [aug 22nd 2008]

    • Minos
    • August 22, 2008 at 7:37 PM

    Nice! It reminds me of leileilol though!

  • [HP] ~ 3D Sketchbook Thread

    • Minos
    • August 22, 2008 at 3:11 PM

    Looks good but the moss on the roof's side face doesn't make much sense.

  • Very WIP 2003 Audi TT

    • Minos
    • August 22, 2008 at 3:06 PM

    Keeeeeed =)

    Looks good considering you haven't touched max in 3 years.

  • Watershed Arena

    • Minos
    • August 22, 2008 at 2:56 PM

    Looks great, how did you manage to make the grass blend so nicely with the ground in the first screenshot? Overlays?

  • Minos' digital sketchbook

    • Minos
    • August 20, 2008 at 6:38 PM

    Thanks guys!

    Yeah I really like the idea of the first one, however the realization was very poor since it was a 20min painting. Anyways it's a great start for a full painting.

    Sentura: Yeah I agree. My main goal with that one was to test a few brushes I made + to learn to integrate photo-textures into my paintings, just like peris did with his Blade Runner painting. I failed miserably though

  • Meo's digital paintings

    • Minos
    • August 20, 2008 at 6:34 PM

    They look awesome Meo, it's indeed a huge evolution

    I should work more from references as well but I usually get bored quickly!

  • 3ds max 2009 - Anyone tried it yet?

    • Minos
    • August 20, 2008 at 6:29 PM

    I'm currently using max8 and it's very unstable sometimes, specially when you are dealing with DX9 shaders. But yeah I'll give the trial a try =) Just wanted to hear your thoughts before.

  • 3ds max 2009 - Anyone tried it yet?

    • Minos
    • August 20, 2008 at 12:32 AM

    Did any of you guys switched over to max 2009? I heard there are some new cool features in the UV editor, but I'm afraid some of my 3rd party scripts won't work on it. Any thoughts/bugs/annoyances?

  • Minos' digital sketchbook

    • Minos
    • August 19, 2008 at 10:19 PM

    Thanks for the kind words guys!

    Did two new paintings today. They are nothing special or inspiring but I'm trying to get quicker so I set myself a time frame of 25 minutes for each one.

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_006_undersea.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_008_destryoedcityblock_20min.jpg]

  • Stockholm

    • Minos
    • August 19, 2008 at 7:58 AM

    Awesome stuff. I love the albatross one.

  • The random model thread!

    • Minos
    • August 19, 2008 at 6:41 AM

    Looks amazing!

  • [Portal] Affinity

    • Minos
    • August 19, 2008 at 4:03 AM

    The first screenie looks gorgeous. I'd give it a try if I had portal...

    Off-topic: 3dedit brings back so many memories! I see one of my old HL maps is still being pimped in the frontpage

    I miss those times when Evert still loved me!

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™