Great work so far!
Posts by Minos
-
-
Awesome video! Kinda reminds me of this one:
External Content www.youtube.comContent embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy. -
-
Has anyone got it yet?
I gave it a shot yesterday and man... I finally felt my DS was worth every fucking penny I paid for it. I´m really in love with this game! The graphics are unbelievable for a DS game, the story is awesome and the game works extremely well.
-
Quote from Steppenwolf
This is a really bad example because this is exactly where i feel that source is way behind. You have to fix so many tiny things afterwards alone to make the map compilable again. I did some serious layout changes for bionic commando within a couple of hours. When i was on Insurgency stuff like this always took 1-2 days to fix and was a real pain in the ass to do.
Gotta agree with you here


It all really depends on beforehand planning imo. Both methods have their cons and pros but if you don´t have a big picture of what you want before you start you will have definitely troubles, with both approaches. You can´t model with a BSP mentality and the other way around is also true. It´s just a matter of getting used and learning the shortcuts. A few years ago the idea of making an entire level in max scared the shit out of me, but I can see it completely doable now. It would be perfect if it had an a-la Hammer texturing tool. Adding UVW map modifier to each piece is a real pain in the butt. Oh and a decent texture browser would also be neat.
I really like Grin´s solution to prototyping levels, maybe I´ll try that myself next and build a non-bsp level in Unreal 3.
Quotethis actually gets me thinking. it could be cool if you could import modular pieces from another file to the current one, and then, if you change the piece itself, the reference would also update. if it can be done within the sphere of programming, then why not in the sphere of modeling?
That´s exactly what happens if you do like peris said and assemble your level in the editor using modular pieces =)
-
Quote from Pericolos0
you guys are still using bsp???? lmao
kids these days with their meshes and stuff


-
Quote from Hourences
I'll agree with everything you said except for this.
Unreal is by far the superior editor out of the batch when looking at the "traditional" Radiant/Hammer/Unreal trifecta (and I'm saying this as a life-long Hammer/Radiant user), but its BSP construction is archaic by comparison (which, considering the age of Hammer and Radiant's interfaces, is depressing).
The ironic thing is Unreal's BSP tools are by far the most powerful - extrusion, concave shapes, clean intersection/de-intersection, additive/subtractive... No other editors have that strong a geometry creation tool. But factor in still having to rebuild geometry to even preview what you're doing, switching of tools and modes in a clunky interface (the geometry mode windows are just awful), poor/slow texturing, the decreased emphasis on BSP in the engine, and its awful in-game performance, and it's all wasted.
I've done some crazy things in Unreal BSP I'd never be able to do in Hammer or Radiant (even with patches), like mocking up radially-snapping circular static mesh templates, but it was such a chore I'd have been better off doing it in another program. Now, if someone ever takes Radiant's speed of construction - you can't get much faster measured brush creation than a single drag on the grid - and merges that with the power of Unreal's BSP tools, we'll have a glorious tool indeed.
I agree with you there. The texturing tools are not too good and yes the rebuilding is definitly annoying. I work in wireframe all the time and I never use the builder brush, but yes that is not exactly the most userfriendly way. I agree that just being able to fly around and quickly make a cube here or there, a la hammer and other editors, would certainly be a whole lot better. My guess is that they would probably implement that in UE4, as it is one of the oldest and weirdest (go explain to a first timer what this weird red brush is) features left in the engine.
Another big problem for Unreals BSP is the lack of smoothing. Without that, a whole lot of things are suddenly impossible to make really.
Still, considering everything I still prefer Unreals BSP. Also for example the ability to just model something in Max, and just export/import it as BSP, in just 3 seconds, is awesome. Not that there is any need for that nowadays but whatever

How do you create brushes without using the builder brush?

-
That´s really cool

-
Quote
":2hz96sy8]We'll see... I don't know if there's anyone at raven here on the core
Generalvivi works at Raven XD
-
Quote from Thrik
I have to say, while Valve makes some excellent games with their engine I seriously can't see any way in which it bests UE3. At first I thought all UE3 games kind of looked the same, but after games like Mirror's Edge — which had quite a Valve style to it IMO — it's impossible to say that. The engine seems to be capable of handling any style and has excellent editing tools, yet is a close cousin to Source and Hammer with regards to overall approach (ie: see Crysis for the opposite end of the spectrum).I suppose what will keep people working with Source for a long time to come is the unbelievable games Valve produces with it (seriously the best), and the tight communities they have.
I guess the industry agrees, though. Source is pretty much a non-player on the engine licensing scene, whereas UE3 is out of control.

Dice had to modify the lighting engine heavily to achieve that look though...
I agree with Robert about BSP construction in UED. It´s really a pain in the ass. This builder brush stuff really pisses me off, specially when I hit CTRL + S to save the map and it creates a new brush
. But it´s an awesome engine with awesome tools, it just requires a different approach than Source.Source is a dated engine indeed but it holds up pretty well imo. My biggest problem with it are the tools. Goddamnit we are in 2009 and people still have to use DOS programs to compile their models and stuff

-
-
QuoteDisplay More
Epic is making it even easier for everyone and their grandmother to develop video games, showing off a slew of new features for their wildly popular Unreal Engine 3 at this year's Game Developers Conference.Now that they've managed to license their engine to just about everyone in the gaming industry, Epic is ready to bring some exciting new features to the Unreal Engine 3, which they'll be showing off at GDC next week. Features like Unreal Lightmass, which coupled with their new Swarm distributed computing framework makes adding high-quality static lighting effects 10 times faster then before. How about a new content browser and search engine, freeing developers from having to manually hunt for game assets?
"We looked at how easy it was to search the net with Google, and find photos on Flickr, and redesigned Unreal Engine 3's content searching and tagging along those lines," said Tim Sweeney, chief executive officer and technical director of Epic Games. "The result was a productivity boon for artists and designers."
They've also got a couple nifty additions in store for online developers, including the addition of Gears of War 2 scalable statistics and data management back end in the form of the Unreal Master Control Program.
"Battle-tested by over 6.8 million hours of online player time, Unreal MCP seriously ups the ante for game engines," says Mark Rein, vice president of Epic Games. "The online infrastructure required for a modern, triple-A game represents man-years of work, and all of this is now included in Unreal Engine 3."
And for those developers who prefer their multiplayer to be massive, Epic China will be showing off their new integrated massively multiplayer online game backend solution, which should have MMO developers frothing at the mouth in joy.
In layman's terms, the Unreal Engine 3 is now even more attractive to game developers across all genres. Expect to see the logo popping up more and more with these new additions to one of the world's most popular engines.
Source: http://kotaku.com/5170689/epic-unveilin ... ies-at-gdc
Fuck yeah

-
-
Hey guys, another update!
I decided to take a dramatic decision and go with unique textures for the main building. I also added my own twist to it. I still need to do normals and speculars but I´ll leave that for later. Enjoy:
[Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sfam/iteration15.jpg]
(This is a max screengrab, some materials in this scene are placeholder e.g. the neon materials)
-
This map has improved quite a lot, good job!
-
Damn look at this vertex lighting, looks so good
It even has realtime reflections!E3 Report 1997External Content www.youtube.comContent embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
I remember Spawn was one of the first games I got for the psxExternal Content www.youtube.comContent embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
-
Did some more work last night. The entrance is more accurate now, and I threw in some lights to test the mood etc I also improved the readability on the lou´s tavern sign.
[Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sfam/iteration12.jpg]
I think my home monitor needs some adjustments... the lighting has cool contrast on it but it looks a bit washed out on my work monitor. How does it look for you?
-
Thanks guys!
I screwed the lightmaps yesterday but I know how to fix it. The lighting still needs major rethinking.
[Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sfam/iteration11.jpg]
Crits/suggestions are welcome.
-
This is starting to look real good, keep it up!
-
Quote from e-freak
that was pretty interesting indeed. The LD tools seem to be quite nice (and it has realtime preview in opposite to hammer
)Yeah it´s actually awesome considering the game was made in 97 or something like that.
This guy's channel is full with interesting videos from 90s games, really awesome stuff!