1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Minos

Posts by Minos

  • ins_karam

    • Minos
    • June 24, 2009 at 12:20 AM

    Good job man, the sense of scale in this map is amazing!

  • [HP] ~ 3D Sketchbook Thread

    • Minos
    • June 19, 2009 at 3:43 AM

    Great normal!!

  • Minos' digital sketchbook

    • Minos
    • June 18, 2009 at 4:20 PM

    woah awesome tips kokos, thanks a lot!

    I should actually take the time to plan out my compositions better before painting any details. This one (as all my past sketches) started as a loose doodle that I basically went ahead and carved out details on the fly, without any real beforehand planning. I only noticed composition problems after much of the structure was done so I decided to balance things out a bit using contrasting colors. Orange vs blue, green vs red, etc...

    I'm now planning on doing a series out of this with a little story I have in mind. I'll try to plan my compositions better from now on.

    BTW I'm reading this Andrew Loomis book at the moment and I highly recommend it. It's got tons of valuable tips on composition and planning. Everyone should give it a read =)

  • Minos' digital sketchbook

    • Minos
    • June 18, 2009 at 5:06 AM

    Thanks for the crits guys, these studies have been really helpful. Here's tonight sketch. This one has a little story included:

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_018_spacecraft.jpg]

    A distant alien civilization launches an ambitious space program with the ultimate goal of conquering nearby planets where precious natural resources were detected.

    Their first stop is at a nearby moon where they plan to set up a research facility which will be used to develop bigger and more powerful space crafts. The first ship sent had a rough landing though.

    Nobody was hurt but much of the structure was damaged in the process. A team of engineers was sent to repair the ship.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Minos
    • June 17, 2009 at 6:27 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://www.randomhouse.com/images/dyn/cover/?source=9780761558514&width=309]

  • IGN killing Planet and other freely hosted sites on Aug 31?

    • Minos
    • June 17, 2009 at 2:36 AM

    PlanetHalfLife included? fuck

  • Max Payne 3

    • Minos
    • June 15, 2009 at 11:53 PM
    Quote from D3ads

    High-five man, let's do this shit!

    Oh ok, you were being sarcastic.. but yeah I just can't believe they want to reinvent Max Payne like this. Why the fuck do people keep trying to change franchises? Silent Hill Homecoming tried to change the franchise by making it more combat orientated and thus completely missed the point, Resident Evil went from zombies in a fictional US mansion to alien hybrids (or whatever they are) in Africa and now Max Payne is going to Brazil!

    Looking at the shots of Sao Paulo, it seems like it could work very well, just give Max his trademark jacket back, make him less hairy and set the game at night (cause you know.. MP never had any levels in the daytime) and it could be something special. I can't believe that they said in that article they went to large lengthes to research Sao Paulo when it's actually just a generic Rio setting which looks like borrowed content from the upcoming Modern Warfare 2!

    I might buy it, but I'll be waiting for the reviews and youtube videos of people actually playing the game before I decide to make a purchase or not.

    The two movies they cited as reference (city of god and elite squad) take place in Rio

    It's like comparing Los Angeles to New York... makes no fucking sense.

  • Bought anything from GOG.com?

    • Minos
    • June 15, 2009 at 7:03 PM

    I got Fallout 1 & 2 on GOG =)

  • Max Payne 3

    • Minos
    • June 14, 2009 at 11:32 PM

    I was rather excited when I saw Max Payne 3 would take place in Sao Paulo, which is a very dark, tough and gritty city. Think of a fucked up New York. But those screenshots have nothing to do with Sao Paulo... slums here are flat and not as colorful as those in Rio... Sao Paulo also doesn't have any cliffs in the middle of the city as one of the screenshots show. It seems like they are basing their work on City of God (that takes place in Rio, which is a very sloppy city) and claiming it's Sao Paulo just for the sake of it.

    [Blocked Image: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/56428410_88b6561290_o.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2233/2120678873_802582f82f_b.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3391/3182257916_5f399ff729_o.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2320/2039749224_426587c7bc_b.jpg]

    Sao Paulo slum:

    [Blocked Image: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/164/426936664_987534f292_o.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3192/2472004025_ba875bdc98_b.jpg]

    Rio slum:

    [Blocked Image: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3300/3280761039_5a21621e70_b.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1183/525195189_d01435b9c5_o.jpg]

    I'm rather hopeless now that I've seen those screenshots. Sure, I'll play it when it comes out because I'm a huge Max Payne fan but it seems like they really suck at researching

  • [HP] ~ 3D Sketchbook Thread

    • Minos
    • June 14, 2009 at 4:32 AM

    Nice stuff HP, the normal map works really well!

    I'd like to see less damage on the paint layer though since the rest of your texture has little to no damage. Moreover, the "hard metal surface tutorial" trick is rather overused nowadays (i've raped it myself a few times too ) and unless you use it subtly you should stay away from it. And how about throwing some color variation in there? Maybe blue paint somwhere to contrast with all the orange? Just a few ideas to spice things up =)

  • [HP] ~ 3D Sketchbook Thread

    • Minos
    • June 12, 2009 at 8:00 PM

    Yup nice stuff. Did you use floaters for the carvings?

  • Minos' digital sketchbook

    • Minos
    • June 12, 2009 at 4:32 AM

    Speedy of the night, first time trying indoor environments and reflections. Learning a lot with these speedies =) I'm not quite happy with the walls though, so crits are welcome!

    Kinda inspired by Deus ex 3 btw... /pets klein ~

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_014_lab.jpg]

  • Minos' digital sketchbook

    • Minos
    • June 12, 2009 at 2:26 AM
    Quote from acapulco

    Okay, didn't want to say your workflow is shit, but you could get out a hell lot more of your pictures if you would sit down few hours for thinking and working. So for example the guy on the left would never fit through the door on the right, which also seems a bit broad. It's all so clean and not one trace of a little more detail. You could do some real nice environment pieces if you cared about your subject. Use references and stuff and find out whats in those scenes and how windows in buildings could look like. You are wasting your ideas.

    My 2cents... no offence, just my opinion.

    No offence taken, your points are valid and I agree with them. I've been focusing more on the technique than on subject/design tbh. If I don't nail the basics down first I'll never be able to make kickass paintings. I'll do a few more "meaningless" envs until I feel confident enough to tackle on a more ambitious painting. "A good man knows his limitations" =)

  • MapCore Job Census

    • Minos
    • June 11, 2009 at 3:38 AM

    Grats emo boy =)

  • Minos' digital sketchbook

    • Minos
    • June 11, 2009 at 3:14 AM

    Thanks everyone

    I'm calling this final. Time to move on to something else now!

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_013_alley_final.jpg]

  • Gaming music nostalgia

    • Minos
    • June 10, 2009 at 2:27 PM

    Good ones mazy =)

    Round two:

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    oh man this thread makes me want to revisit all these classics =)

  • Minos' digital sketchbook

    • Minos
    • June 10, 2009 at 4:37 AM

    Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I got a nice workflow going. Update time:

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_013_alley.jpg]

  • Gaming music nostalgia

    • Minos
    • June 10, 2009 at 1:12 AM

    Mass Effect OST is AWESOME. My favourite ones:

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    oh and Bionic Commando of course, both the original and the rearmed remixes

    This one is so chill and nice (kinda reminds me of Wellington Sears by Slagsmalsklubben):

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • Minos' digital sketchbook

    • Minos
    • June 9, 2009 at 6:23 PM

    Wow thanks a lot Corwin, that's exactly what I had in mind color wise! I'll detail it more tonight and then color it.

    I actually found it a lot easier to build/details shapes painting in black & white only, since you can focus on the composition/details etc... but it gets a lot harder to get the right colors in the end.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Minos
    • June 9, 2009 at 2:12 PM
    Quote from FrieChamp

    Shoe buying frenzy!!! [Blocked Image: http://slamxhype.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/nike-tennis-classic-vintage-1.jpg]

    Couldn't help but pick them up in the Nike store when I've been to London.

    ohh those look very nice. I used to hate Nike and their fancy shoes but these new sneakers look neat =)

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™