1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Minos

Posts by Minos

  • Daniel Platt - Level Designer

    • Minos
    • August 19, 2009 at 2:05 PM

    Awesome stuff Daniel. Fissure is my favorite level in the game so far!

  • The PS3 Slim

    • Minos
    • August 18, 2009 at 8:28 PM
    Quote from Gloglebag

    Oops! hehe, now my post done properly

    Why?

    Also I remember people not liking the PS3 had a big fan, but isn't that good because big slow fans make less noise then small fast ones?

    PSOne: Lacked gameshark slot (yeah I liked that shit when I was kid) and broke down after 2 years or so of usage. It wasn't as reliable as the old PSX, which lasted 5 long years for me.

    PS2 Slim: I dunno if it's just me but most PSX games didn't work correctly or froze after a few minutes. It also heated a lot and some games didn't work for good. I had to buy a 3rd party cooler at the time, it didn't fix the problem but minimized it.

    I had other slim owners reporting the same problems to me while other friends who owned fat ps2's claimed they'd had their systems for 3 years or so and never experienced such problems.

  • The PS3 Slim

    • Minos
    • August 18, 2009 at 7:45 PM

    I dunno I've always been skeptical about these slim versions. I had both a PSOne and a PS2 Slim and they sucked ballz compared to their predecessors.

  • Wolfenstein

    • Minos
    • August 18, 2009 at 4:19 PM

    Gratz!

  • Underrated Games

    • Minos
    • August 18, 2009 at 2:13 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://pressstartvg.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/bionic-commando-box-art.jpg]

    Deserves a 8.5 at least!

  • Questions about lighting in Unreal 3

    • Minos
    • August 18, 2009 at 2:08 PM
    Quote from Nurb

    The problem is probably that the lightmap UVs are so close that they use the same pixels in the lightmap image. Move the UVs further apart in the UV layout or increase the lightmap resolution. I think this will solve your problem. With something as crisp as a cube you may also have to separate all sides of the cube in UV space in order to get a sharp shadow edge.

    Yup I did that and the problem was minimized quite a lot. It still happens here and there though but it's not such a big hassle anymore.

    The vertex lighting inconsistencies on the other hand are still there and annoying the crap out of me.

  • crosseye 3d pictures

    • Minos
    • August 18, 2009 at 12:17 AM

    Someone at work showed me this some time ago. I think may be retarded but I couldn't see anything.

  • Questions about lighting in Unreal 3

    • Minos
    • August 17, 2009 at 9:42 PM
    Quote from Slainchild

    Not sure about the bright edges but why not use BSP for the cubes/buildings for now?

    I could do this but it wouldn't solve the problem.

  • Songs that put you in a good mood

    • Minos
    • August 17, 2009 at 3:58 PM

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    I feel so free and happy whenever I listen to this song, It's PERFECT! This song should be illegal because I think I'm getting high off of it.

  • Pontus Karlsson - Environment Artist

    • Minos
    • August 17, 2009 at 1:49 PM

    Very nice! Why did you remove your Decadence stuff? It's pretty good!

  • Questions about lighting in Unreal 3

    • Minos
    • August 16, 2009 at 7:29 PM

    Hey guys.

    I've been using UED for some time now. It's quite a nice editor, sometimes a bit too old fashionable but quite enjoyable overall. However, I'm having a bit of a trouble with lighting. I modelled a few generic modular pieces to block out my level (sidewalks, cubes, walls, etc...) and they look terribly wrong when I throw in some simple lighting. I tried vertex lighting at first but some vertices which share the same exact space look either really bright or pitch black. They are quite tessellated and line up perfectly to each other, so it doesn't make much sense. I know the limitations of vertex lighting, I just wanted my pieces to be lit evenly :S

    OK I then proceeded to lightmap those meshes. I also removed some of the loops as they weren't really needed anymore. The problem still persists though and my lightmaps also look pretty bad, with seams visible in some places and other places being lit correctly. Here's an screenshot of the lightmapped version:

    Blue = Happens in the vertexlit version | Green = UVs problems

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/temp/unreal_lighting_problem_01.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/temp/unreal_lighting_problem_02.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/temp/unreal_lighting_problem_03.jpg]

    A montage showing the UVs for the lightmapped cube and the same meshes prepared for vertex lighting only. At first I thought the lighting artifacts on the cube was due to the seams being too close to the UV's borders so I scaled them down a bit and they still look the same in the editor.

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/temp/unreal_lighting_problem_04.jpg]

    Does anyone know how to work around this?

  • Kurt Stassen - Leveldesigner

    • Minos
    • August 14, 2009 at 6:17 PM

    Cool stuff Kurt! You are one of the fastest and most hard working level designers I have ever met =)

  • Songs that put you in a good mood

    • Minos
    • August 13, 2009 at 7:52 PM
    Quote from Pericolos0

    YESS!!!!

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • QuakeCon2009

    • Minos
    • August 13, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    Quote from KungFuSquirrel

    Here it is D3ads: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59971

    [Blocked Image: http://img0.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/4484/448424070cdb1a62f889d47c4548d9f874dba52.jpg]

  • Robert Hodri - Level Designer

    • Minos
    • August 13, 2009 at 1:48 PM

    Very inspiring stuff!

  • Songs that put you in a good mood

    • Minos
    • August 13, 2009 at 1:45 PM

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • GRIN shut down

    • Minos
    • August 12, 2009 at 8:30 PM

    Guys maybe you should be more careful talking about this stuff on public forums ;o

  • Philip Klevestav - Environment Artist

    • Minos
    • August 12, 2009 at 4:02 PM

    A small tip (this one goes for other grinners as well): Don't forget to add your name/url/email to all your jpgs.

    Some people (like me) have the habit of saving JPGs for reference/inspiration purposes and I guess most employers do that as well. The problem is that sometimes I'm browsing my reference folder, find something cool and can't remember where I got it from.

  • Philip Klevestav - Environment Artist

    • Minos
    • August 12, 2009 at 3:52 PM

    Holy fucking shit!!! Philip = best game artist I know.

    That's some really inspiring stuff, thanks for sharing I'd be really glad if you posted more of your modular buildings btw, I could learn a thing or two with them.

    You should also add some of the stuff you did for Rearmed, curious to see them in closer detail =)

    Good luck Phill!

  • Anders Jansson - Level Designer

    • Minos
    • August 12, 2009 at 2:33 PM

    Hey Evert!

    I really think you should make it one page only. I hate having to browse thru multiple sections in a portfolio. (I'm thinking of remaking my portfolio from scratch using a one-page design only)

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™