1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Minos

Posts by Minos

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Minos
    • August 31, 2009 at 1:52 PM
    Quote from Synthesizer

    Here's a TF2 CTF map I've been working on. I finished the layout a while ago and now I'm going through and making everything as custom content. I still need to add more detail and finalize the textures for this room, then I'll move on to the rest.[Blocked Image: http://www.simonbarsky.com/forum_posts/ctf_lounge/ctf_lounge_1.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.simonbarsky.com/forum_posts/ctf_lounge/ctf_lounge_2.jpg]

    Thats awesome!!!

  • totally random texture thread

    • Minos
    • August 31, 2009 at 1:49 PM
    Quote from Pericolos0

    awesome simon! It looks a bit unfinished now with all the hard edges and stuff, but I'm already liking the classic nice readble deathmatch map feel it has! Something they really forgot about in unreal 3

    I forgot to set smoothing groups up for the rounded corner, that's why it looks weird

    Quote

    That lighting isn't rebuilt though, hence the stencil like shadows. Rebuild and post again!

    Yeah for some reason I hit build lighting and it kept the stencil shadows. My directional light was being shown as dynamic even though I set it to static. Go figure.

    Quote

    Yep, I definitely agree with the last 4 comments! UE3 can be an awesome engine, if given to the hands of good artists! Look at Mirror's Edge!

    Anyway, awesome stuff minos. What's this for? Just practising or planing doing a map?

    I might do a level out of this. I have lots of cool ideas in my head, like a clean colorful hi-tech office. I only want to have primary and secondary colors in this level. Something like this:

    [Blocked Image: http://www.6k.com.br/jp/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/meu_primeiro_gradiente.jpg]

  • totally random texture thread

    • Minos
    • August 31, 2009 at 1:45 AM
    Quote from Sentura

    i think that's the second time i've ever seen good lighting in unreal - the first was in peris' abandoned colony...

    Unreal 3 is a wonderful engine too bad Epic's stuff is really busy and noisy. I'm planning on doing a clean level just because Epic's levels hurt my eyes.

  • totally random texture thread

    • Minos
    • August 31, 2009 at 1:32 AM

    Testing some modular walls on UT3:

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/temp/ModularWall01.jpg]

  • Questions about lighting in Unreal 3

    • Minos
    • August 30, 2009 at 1:37 AM

    Just in case someone else is having the same problem: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Lighting ... bdivisions

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Minos
    • August 29, 2009 at 8:20 PM

    New sneakers and a super rare movie I've been trying to find for months.

    [Blocked Image: http://image.shopping.uol.com.br/300x300/product/00/01/55/35/1553510.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://tropist.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/b0000a2zty01_ss500_sclzzzzzzz_v1057257023_.jpg]

  • Filip Coulianos - Level Designer

    • Minos
    • August 28, 2009 at 1:32 AM

    I love your decadence level! It's got one of the best environment art in any Source mods. I also love how you guys made the maps open source. It's always nice to see how other people approach things in the same editor you are used to.

  • MapCore Job Census

    • Minos
    • August 26, 2009 at 9:54 PM
    Quote from Patrick_H

    So was anyone here hit by the Raven layoffs?

    Wow more layoffs? One week after releasing a game?

    Also congrats to evert, phill and insta!

  • Dan Banefelt - Level Designer

    • Minos
    • August 25, 2009 at 1:30 PM

    Welcome Dan!

    That's some nice work you got there. But I'd like to know why UT3 mappers put so much visual noise/contrast in their maps. That's one of the reasons I can't stand playing it too much to be honest. The Bad Vibrations level looks specially busy. The starkstrom level on the other hand looks cool, has a nice atmosphere and seems to have the right amount of details and depth. The Warsow map is my favourite of the bunch. It looks amazing and stylish. That's a Quake 3 based game isn't it?

    Lastly, I agree with others. Make the horizontal scroll nature more visible because I'd never notice it if others didn't mention it here.

  • Daniel Platt - Level Designer

    • Minos
    • August 24, 2009 at 9:15 PM
    Quote from Hourences

    I consider seeing older (not bad, just old) work a plus. It shows someone has been around for a while. It shows someone started out in the mod community. It shows the person can, in this case, work with BSP. It shows the person can handle several themes and styles.

    I agree. As long as the work being showcased is of high quality (which is the case here) there's no reason to remove it.

  • You know i'm leaving.

    • Minos
    • August 24, 2009 at 7:19 PM

    Don't go spellbinder I'm glad you are decided to get a better life but you can still visit mapcore when you have free time. The core can't live without Spellbinder anymore.

  • Questions about lighting in Unreal 3

    • Minos
    • August 24, 2009 at 2:03 PM
    Quote from Zeta

    You could try overriding the default lightmap the mesh uses? It forces it to use a more detailed lightmap, which obviously hurts performance but ususally improves the accuracy of the effect.

    I believe the option in is the mesh properties somewhere, I can take a look later today if you want the specific location.

    I don't want to use lightmaps on such simple models. I just want them to get lit properly. The 3d buzz guys didn't lightmap those support beams either.

  • Gamescon 2009

    • Minos
    • August 24, 2009 at 1:59 PM

    I just heard our game is getting quite some exposure from Ubisoft there. It's the one who appears after the imagine brand trailer called Imagine Detective (yeah we got our own trailer =) )

  • Grooveshark

    • Minos
    • August 24, 2009 at 3:11 AM
    Quote from Steppenwolf

    Spotify is all i need for my music streaming needs.

    Free version not available in my country

  • Questions about lighting in Unreal 3

    • Minos
    • August 24, 2009 at 2:22 AM

    Alright I was following the 3d buzz video tutorials and came across the same errors with vertex lit meshes I described above again. The funny thing is that 3d buzz's meshes look perfect.

    [Blocked Image: http://thiagoklafke.com/misc/temp/unreal_lighting_problem_05.jpg]

    This is really pissing me off

  • <3 MapCore

    • Minos
    • August 23, 2009 at 6:31 PM

    I have probably spent a lot more time with mapcore than with the majority of my family in the past years!

  • Grooveshark

    • Minos
    • August 23, 2009 at 4:19 AM

    Just came across this site and I find it amazing

    http://listen.grooveshark.com/

  • Getting into the games industry - John Carmack Perspective

    • Minos
    • August 21, 2009 at 5:46 PM

    I love this guy.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Minos
    • August 19, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    Quote from dux

    30? did he do something to it?

    He had 2 spare HDDs (he's on his 3rd 360 now). I made him the offer and he accepted it =)

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Minos
    • August 19, 2009 at 2:08 PM

    Just bought a used 60 GB XBox HD from a friend at work for 30 bucks =)

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™