1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Minos

Posts by Minos

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Minos
    • October 19, 2009 at 3:44 AM
    Quote from Sentura

    where? unless you wanna crash standing up or like halfway out the window...

    the bed looks big enough for kokoz and me.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Minos
    • October 18, 2009 at 10:52 PM

    Kickass apartment Kokoz. I'd crash in there any time!

  • mitering corners - reduce visleafs? good for optimization?

    • Minos
    • October 18, 2009 at 3:18 PM
    Quote from Steppenwolf

    I always mitter my stuff when i work in bsp. Probably not as important anymore today since most PC's are powerfull enough to run even a messy map in source in highest details and fluid framerates. But it used to be very important in the past. Without mittering 2 triangles more get rendered per corner and if the wall is a static brush it creates a new tiny vis leaf. Now if you have a couple more such tiny vis leafs they will cut each other overproportianaly the more you have and you have very easily a mess of hundrets or thousands of vis leafs where only a couple dozen would be appropiate. This mess has a very negative effect on the vis compile time (what should take 2-3 minutes takes hours) and it also has a bad effect on the performance ingame.edit:

    Found this old pic in my archive:

    [Blocked Image: http://i36.tinypic.com/9k13js.jpg]

    Pretty much shows what i mean with tiny vis leafs cutting each other and creating a mess. On the button my map after proper mitering, func_detailing and vis optimizing.

    Not sure if that's a good example to show what you mean since it's a very old version of Abdallah with almost no brushes converted to func_detail and no hint brushes at all.

    I personally never cared about mitering corners. The small performance gain (if it even exists) is not really worth the extra time put on it.

    Fun fact: Steppenwolf was actually the guy who taught me how to properly use hint brushes back in the good ol' INS days

  • Minos' digital sketchbook

    • Minos
    • October 15, 2009 at 2:29 AM
    Quote from Satyre

    Hey minotauro, well done on the last one! You probably know it, but if you don't, here is a great site about all kind of art and digital stuff (lots of them are quite similar to your style). So I think the site is worth a look .

    Yeah I know that forum, I just can't be arsed to browse it in a regular basis. As with CGSociety I just can't keep up with so much information.

    The hottest forum for concept art though imo is: http://forums.sijun.com/index.php (hell Sparth is one of the admins there and often shares some step by steps)

  • Minos' digital sketchbook

    • Minos
    • October 12, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    Quote from Nysuatro

    How do you chose your colors? I still have problems with that.

    I actually started this one in black and white and then added a few HUE/SATURATION layers (with colorize mode on) to get a nice base to work from. I then flattened the painting and started to paint over it, color picking and overlaying new colors where needed. I find it a lot easier to define the shapes in black and white before adding colors, since colors always add a whole new layer of complexity to your brain. Of course that's only the way I found that works best for me, some people will tell you to start with colors but it's really up to you. Hope it helps.

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step1.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step2.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step3.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step4.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step5.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step6.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step7.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step8.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step9.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step10.jpg]

  • Minos' digital sketchbook

    • Minos
    • October 11, 2009 at 3:29 AM

    thanks wilco!

    Alright, here's another pitch. I'm having a hard time filling the foreground with interesting stuff, so ideas are welcome!

    [Blocked Image: http://thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02.jpg]

    hmm just noticed the focus building looks like a lighter

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Minos
    • October 10, 2009 at 10:21 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/store/assets/images/product/neopowvar/neopowvar_lg.jpg]

    Extremely addicting little thing

  • Minos' digital sketchbook

    • Minos
    • October 10, 2009 at 10:14 PM
    Quote from wilco

    Something in the perspective is playing with my eyes, but not sure what it is! Looks good for a quick sketch Mino, can't wait to see what final unearthly peice you come up with.

    I'm much more confident with my 3d/level art skills than with concept stuff. I'll try to find a concept artist if I don't come up with some cool idea soon.

  • Minos' digital sketchbook

    • Minos
    • October 10, 2009 at 10:11 PM

    FIrst Unearthly Challenge idea. It didnt turn out as good as i hoped but this is just a quick sketch to study proportions and atmosphere. The idea behind this one is a fortress built by evil aliens to control people's mind connected by a monorail. It's pretty basic now but I'll flesh out shapes once I decide which direction to take.

    [Blocked Image: http://thiagoklafke.com/misc/sketches/sp_035_UnearthlyChallenge09_01.jpg]

    I'll probably do a few more different ideas before deciding which direction to take but critics are welcome.

  • Unearthly Challenge 2009 is finally up!

    • Minos
    • October 6, 2009 at 12:30 AM

    Already begun thumbnailing some ideas =)

  • Unearthly Challenge 2009 is finally up!

    • Minos
    • October 4, 2009 at 4:37 PM

    http://www.unearthlychallenge.com/

    Cool theme this time!

  • warby can haz a birthday

    • Minos
    • October 3, 2009 at 1:15 AM

    HB Warby!

  • Level design/env art Twitters

    • Minos
    • October 2, 2009 at 2:25 PM

    Just updated it with 3 awesome links everyone check it out!

  • l4d_yama

    • Minos
    • October 1, 2009 at 3:17 AM

    I like it. I'm not so sure about the neon lights though. They make everything look so bright, colorful and alive and that's exactly the opposite of what a L4D map should convey.

  • M.I.T. students launch $150 space camera

    • Minos
    • September 26, 2009 at 2:44 AM
    Quote

    You don't always need an expensive professional dSLR to capture awe-inspiring images. Sometimes, a basic Canon A470 point and shoot, a little ingenuity, and a beer cooler are all you need. That is what two M.I.T. students used to capture images of the Earth from space, well, actually the upper atmosphere; technically, it wasn't high enough to be space.Justin Lee and Oliver Yeh, M.I.T. students, had a goal of flying a camera high enough to photograph the curvature of the earth, they named it Project Icarus. With out having a NASA size budget for a rocket, they opted for the more cost effective method of filling a weather balloon with helium and suspending a Styrofoam cooler underneath that held the camera. They also placed some instant hand warmers inside the cooler to try to keep the camera and its battery from freezing.

    Full story: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10354588-1.html

    Time lapse: http://space.1337arts.com/

    Soo cool!

  • Zero Gear - an indie multiplayer kart racing game

    • Minos
    • September 25, 2009 at 12:49 AM
    Quote from 2d-chris

    I'll take chill mountain any day

  • James Cameron's Avatar [THE GAME]

    • Minos
    • September 24, 2009 at 2:10 PM

    I was rather uninterested in this tile until I saw this gameplay footage this morning:

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • [CS:S]de_bahrain (Beta)

    • Minos
    • September 23, 2009 at 12:54 AM

    Looks fantastic indeed. All the time put into this paid off in the end

  • Monkey Islands! Plural!

    • Minos
    • September 22, 2009 at 1:07 AM

    I got the remake on the weekend deal and I gotta say that I'm so disappointed. The voice work is kickass and adds a lot to the experience but the backgrounds are so sloppy and bad. The original game looks much better color wise imo.

  • Level design/env art Twitters

    • Minos
    • September 21, 2009 at 5:47 PM

    Hello guys. I set up a Twitter account to post links related to Level Design and Level art. I was originally going to post in portuguese only but I'll be tweeting in english from now on.

    http://twitter.com/LevelDesign

    If you guys know any other twitters about level design or env art please post them in this thread!

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™