1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Minos

Posts by Minos

  • Small worlds platformer

    • Minos
    • May 23, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    Quote from twiz

    http://games.adultswim.com/small-worlds-p…-game.htmlFound the art and music to be very interesting. Not breaking any molds as far as gameplay goes, but I think it's worth a play thru!

    Saw this the other day, it's mind blowing! love the art direction.

  • What motivates us at work?

    • Minos
    • May 23, 2010 at 12:19 PM

    It all comes down to age and life objects in my opinion. At my current age (and if I could choose) I'd rather make less but work on kickass and relevant projects, stuff that I could be proud of in the future, than to make a lot of money working on crap projects that everyone hates and be stuck on this shit forever. I'll leave the later to when I'm older, creatively worn out or have a family.

  • 'Artificial life' breakthrough announced by scientists

    • Minos
    • May 22, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    Quote from Warby

    i have tons of genes that i need to replace ! and i am hell bent on not having kids until science allows me to clean out all my hereditary deceases

    i wouldn't wish this shit on my worst enemy let alone my kids !

    if science cant deliver in the next 30 or so years than i wont have offspring thats for sure

    Warby has a point there

  • What motivates us at work?

    • Minos
    • May 21, 2010 at 9:45 PM

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    Amazing presentation about what motivates people at work.

    I like the bit where he uses examples of people working on free stuff in their free time just to get technically better, which is exactly what us modders do

  • 'Artificial life' breakthrough announced by scientists

    • Minos
    • May 21, 2010 at 2:58 PM

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_ ... 132762.stm

    The end is near. Humanity has not learned one bit from the Quarians and their mistakes...

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Minos
    • May 21, 2010 at 3:39 AM

    Quick max mockup with assets created with the textures I posted earlier in the random texture thread.Specular maps still need a lot of work but I'll do that once inside UDK

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/temp/scifi_wallmockup03.jpg]

  • Lara Croft and the guardian of light.

    • Minos
    • May 20, 2010 at 8:15 PM

    Environment art looks good imo! Can be a little fun game if they get the level design right!

  • Skate 3

    • Minos
    • May 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM
    Quote from st0lve

    Did anyone buy it? I'll get it soon, I just need my paycheck first But my friend completed it in 2 days on Hardcore, except most of the online challenges since EA Nation doesn't work with a router

    I was gonna get it this weekend... but then Red Dead got released... maybe next month

  • The random model thread!

    • Minos
    • May 20, 2010 at 3:37 AM

    hmm I think you could get a much better low poly mesh by running your high poly mesh on polycrunch or something instead of just using bevelled boxes.

    You could alternatively try to render a displacement map on Zbrush, apply it to a zbrush plane and set the iteration value really low. I remember some dude doing that for a rubble pile asset on polycount.

    Another good idea would be to rotate some of your bricks, scale them inwards/outwards, to create more depth variation.

    Hope that helps

  • Helder, Happy Birthday!

    • Minos
    • May 20, 2010 at 12:29 AM

    Happy birthday Helder Penis!

  • Romero "regrets" Daikatana ad campaign

    • Minos
    • May 19, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    Quote from Mazy

    Seconded...or, thirded?

    I have a print out of that ad on my office wall, you can say a lot about it in terms of it being bad taste and disrespectful, but it's almost gotten iconic by now. I bet it's the printed gaming ad that most gamers remember, for better or worse.

    Regarding Romero, then I've grown to really respect him as I've read more and more about him. Might be an underdog thing, which I'm always a sucker for, the fact that he went from being pretty much the biggest game designer name on the PC to designing mobile games. He definitely seems like a pretty cool guy once you ignore all the generic internet hate that usually surrounds his name. Not entirely sure what he's up to now, if it's still that MMO there was talk about, but part of me would love to see him return to the FPS scene with a big AAA title and actually be successful. I do however doubt that it would ever happen

    Do you have a high-res scan? I've looked everywhere and could only find shitty tiny pics

  • Romero "regrets" Daikatana ad campaign

    • Minos
    • May 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    Quote

    "You know, I never wanted to make you my bitch, not you, not them, not any of the other players and, most importantly, not any of my fans. Up until that ad, I felt I had a great relationship with the gamer and the game development community and that ad changed everything... I regret it and I apologise for it."

    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/romer ... d-campaign

    Everyone should read Masters of Doom, best book i've read in years

  • Tactical Intervention

    • Minos
    • May 18, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    Quote from Seldoon182

    Interesting feature but I hope that lots of details will be fixed (animations, hostages models and such...)

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    I refuse to play a game where you have to kill dogs :/

  • Red Dead Redemption

    • Minos
    • May 17, 2010 at 5:59 PM

    IGN video review:

    http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/1 ... ml?show=hi

    Cant wait

  • custom blend texture shows up fullbright in hammer

    • Minos
    • May 16, 2010 at 10:08 PM
    Quote from n8braker

    well, the textureshader hammer uses for it's 3d view (3D texture shaded polygons option) doens't work for this specific texture, while it does for all others.

    I might be completely wrong here but Hammer always shows displacements full bright if I recall correctly.

  • totally random texture thread

    • Minos
    • May 16, 2010 at 10:04 PM
    Quote

    ":kdyyqc10]Very nice and clean, what are you using to render the panels? UDK?

    Nop, 3ds max + Xoliul shader =)

    I'm having quite a hard time getting these materials to look good on UDK with lightmass. I'm getting a lot of lightmap artifacts if I set my indirect normal influence factor high, and no artifacts but flat normal maps if I set it low. According to UDN:

    Quote

    IndirectNormalInfluenceBoost - Lerp factor that controls the influence of normal maps with directional lightmaps on indirect lighting. A value of 0 gives a physically correct distribution of light, which may result in little normal influence in areas only lit by indirect lighting, but less lightmap compression artifacts. A value of .8 results in 80% of the lighting being redistributed in the dominant incident lighting direction, which effectively increases the per-pixel normal's influence, but causes more severe lightmap compression artifacts.

    These artifacts wouldn't be too much of a problem if my textures didn't have so much specularity or weren't so clean, which is exactly the opposite of how UT3 maps look.

    Some dudes having the same problem:

    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=710591

    I lowered the "DiffuseBoost" factor and it helped a bit, but I'm still not satisfied with how it looks. Anyone knows a workaround for this?

  • totally random texture thread

    • Minos
    • May 16, 2010 at 9:28 PM

    Working on a few sci-fi tiling textures for a UDK scene. I'll be creating various modular wall/ceiling/floor pieces from these textures. Kind of an old school approach I know but saves a lot of time!

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/temp/scifi_texture_wall07.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/temp/scifi_texture_wall06.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/temp/scifi_texture_floor02.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/temp/scifi_texture_Trim02.jpg]

    The last screenshot is a bunch of trim textures placed together in the same material in case you are wondering.

    Crits are always welcome!

  • Post Your Pic Extravaganza 2010

    • Minos
    • May 16, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    Quote from Skjalg

    Me in front of some weird looking structure in italy[Blocked Image: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs519.ash1/30577_409322417240_515072240_3980282_3750040_n.jpg]

    Nice stuff, that's the place Bruce Lee defeated Chucky Norris back in the 70s

  • [UDK] Oil Field

    • Minos
    • May 16, 2010 at 3:15 PM
    Quote

    ":3hq7hkfz]I know Im starting to sound like a broken record around mapcore, but where are the COLORS!? It's a shame to see such nice map being eaten away by such bland lighting and lack of life, what I see is Gears syndrome all over the place tbh, and I would like to see some originality from your part in that field! Keep up.

    I actually like the desaturation in this one. Fits the mood/assets well.

    Environment looks pretty sweet, only thing that kind of bothers me is the sand slope in the first pic. It looks very "game'ish". I don't think one would find sand with that kind of pattern on a slope. Make it a bit rocky, just like this:

    [Blocked Image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2473/3589206229_cc88336a0b.jpg?v=0]

    I also think you could have your sand material spawn little grass sprites here and there. Example:

    [Blocked Image: http://www.tumtum.com/climbing/trips/Escalante01_images_full/Esc01_s130_FoldSandSlope.jpg]

  • custom blend texture shows up fullbright in hammer

    • Minos
    • May 16, 2010 at 3:04 PM
    Quote from n8braker

    did that too, I forgot to remove it after I experimented with it. removing that line doesn't help but I'll do it anyway! thanks for the suggestion.

    Are you sure you have set your other VMTs to lightmappedgeneric? Have you checked them for errors?

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™