In Soviet Russia, log saws you!
Posts by Izuno
-
-
-
-
Quote from Zacker
Do they mean coder/programmer?
No they mean a gameplay scripter. Basically, in this position you will be developing level layouts and gameplay flows. Part of that is creating the gameplay logic of what happens in the level. That is scripting. You will script simple things like what doors open when, or when to spawn enemies/characters. You'll also set how the AI will function and what they will do etc. You will choose all the environment and logic settings that determine how the level looks and plays. You will not be required to create the 2D/3D art, other than the level layout. Obviously this is very critical to the development of the game.
You will not be doing core engine or graphics programming.
-
Quote from mikezilla
sept that the roofs aren't displacement mapped.
ok..well some roofs have been made with displacement maps...at least in the custom dod:s mapping projects i've seen (all unofficial). But whatever, it's a new engine, you can get more detail. So people at Valve got sag happy. good times.
Quote from KosmoThe bottomless well of knowledge known as Izuno intrigues me, how in the gods name you know all this?
well obviously I didn't know that the roofs in the pictures were not displacement maps.
though I wonder if some components or roofs are displacement maps. muhahahahahaha.
Anyway...back on topic.
I can't wait to play it.
-
see all the DoD mappers from the past come out to defend sagging roofs because in original DoD on HL engine it just wasn't practical do that. Displacement maps makes it easier and less taxing on the engine.
Now if only the character models' pants would sag.
-
-
Everyone, I am posting this on behalf of a friend who is a producer at Seven Studios. [email protected] with a resume. Please indicate in your email that you are responding the posting at Mapcore.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Job Type: Full Time
Position: Game Scripter
7 Studios is a developer of AAA console and PC games located in West Los Angeles, California. Founded in 1999, we work with top publishers, including Activision and THQ, and on licensed property held by companies such as Marvel, HBO and Jerry Bruckheimer Films. Our studio continues to grow and is poised to enter the next generation of console development!
RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Script all game encounters and gameplay setups, including enemy behaviors, boss battles, and game puzzles
• Develop in-depth knowledge of our proprietary technologies and scripting tools
• Participate in technical implementation and test plans
• Estimate delivery time for work in progress
REQUIREMENTS:
• Passionate about making games
• Undergraduate degree in computer science, engineering or related field
• Proficient in C++ and object oriented concepts
• Good communication skills with technical and non-technical colleagues
• Able to work in a team atmosphere with schedules and reliable milestone delivery
PLUSES:
• 2+ years of professional programming or game scripting experience
• Proven technical expertise on PSP, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, or PC
• Scripting or level design experience on game mods for major shooter, action and strategy games may be a substitute for professional programming or industry experience. Please provide online portfolio of work.
-
indeed.
it's all in the execution. done right, it works. done wrong, it annoys audiences and takes away from the overall experience.
it will take time for marketing people, studio execs and producers/directors to get it right. it has been done well in the past. I think the Back to the Future movies were good examples of product placement. (nike and pepsi and pizza hut, for example). it also worked well in the Matrix (those cool nokia cell phones...too bad they weren't for sale in the US).
i think the concern i had with The Island was that it was done in such a modern cheesey way that it sorta detracted from the movie. but it wasn't terrible, i just found it a bit concerning.
-
Quote from Mojo
You remeber at the start of every 24 season, the 15 minute long Ford commercial, then all through the season its all Ford commercials? Maybe thats why

True. But I spefically remember the Lexus placements this past season.
I kind of wish Keifer Sutherland would go on SNL or something and do a series of exaggerated automobile product placements in a mock 24 skit where he plays Jack...would be so funny.
-
Anyone see 24 at all this year? Seems like Ford and Lexus were the cars of choice.
"He's driving a 2005 Blue Lexus GS300 with standard leather and smooth handling north on highway 5."
Okay maybe they didn't go that far on 24, but sometimes my friends will joke about that. In reality, the car product placement on 24 wasn't ever that bad cause it wasn't obvious and the characters didn't react to the products in unrealistic ways. The island was clearly more out there.
Still, best product placement was Wayne's World.
-
-
yeah i don't know what the deal was with those recent screens, but personally I am very excited about it. I haven't released an official dod map in over a year and I can't wait to get back to it once the source version comes out. Sure, dod may not be for everyone anymore, but I still play it with on a really good server with a great community of players. That's more important to me than newer gameplay tech in recent games like BF2 etc. Sure, newer games are great, but I'll always be interested in DoD.
Anyway, the beta has been pretty limited, but the sound design and the physics are pretty cool, more interesting than in cs:s (IMHO) even though I actually like CS:S cause I hadn't played CS in so long.
-
yeah this movie started off very good with this cool and interesting premise. then it just became another Michael Bay glorified chase sequence over the second half. the only thing that saved it from that point was Scarlett flaming hotness that was just a pleasure to watch. Also, I think they gave her some crappy dialogue, but she managed to do a decent job with it. pants off to her...i mean...hats off to her for donig an okay job with crappy writing.
the product placement was crazy. i don't mind it for some realisim sometimes, but in this movie it seemed sooooooooooooooo obvious and not in a fun kind of way like in the Back to the Future movies.
i would give this a movie a thumbs up just to watch Scarlett in all her hotness, but that's about it.
-
Quote from OL
I recorded a clip of the one i have. Old or new?http://www.olhux.net/image/akira.wav
i think that's new.
i think the original english dubbings have better voices..plus the new dialogue VO they tend to explain things a little more, dumbing it down a bit.
-
ok..that's good information.
guess i'm shit out of luck on the dvd. i may just get the old vhs version.
thx
-
1) yeah i do mean the first english dubbing that was from 1989. I want that on DVD.
2) Dude, I don't expect to get a fucking laser disc player or the fucking laser disc edition. In college my friend still had one of those players cause he was self proclaimed as 'old school'. Akira was on 2 full laser discs with content on both sides. every half hour you had to flip the disk or change it.
anyway, i'd love to get the DVD version with the 1989 english dubbed voice cast. suggestions on where to get it? I couldn't find it on ebay or anything like that.
-
-
Does anyone here have the orginal English dubbed version of Akira? Does it not exist on DVD?
I have the newer special edition DVD set of Akira, which is nice, but it is not the original English dubbing. I really do not like this dubbing as the dialogue is mostly from an updated English script.
Back in college one of my buddies still had an old laser disc system with Akira on LD. We must have watched that 20 times a year...and the original English dubbing as been burned into my brain. It's a been a few years since then and I'd love to see that orignal version. I can't find it on Amazon or Ebay.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Does this only exist on VHS and Laser disc?
thanks!
-
Quote from Bic-B@ll
there are several things in the new hammer that drive me crazy:1) if you use ctrl + m to transform something (rotation specifically) it doesnt put the object abck on the grid, it's always off by a quarter of a unit and i have to go back and fix every point if i forget to vertex manipulate-move the entire thing.
2) the clipping tool never starts where you click, its always the next unit over, moving it with the grid is a pain in the ass
3) if you use the apply texture and values, it only works once
s;lkfnsadfnsadfjnsdf what the hell
Bic-Ball says what we're all thinking.
Why, Valve, why?