1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Izuno

Posts by Izuno

  • Got a new lense!

    • Izuno
    • February 26, 2006 at 8:58 PM

    wow kami! those are really nice. Sierra Club post card worthy etc.

  • YAY

    • Izuno
    • February 25, 2006 at 5:18 AM

    omg yes!

    Kings Quest and Quest for Glory ruled!

  • New touchscreen iPod next week?

    • Izuno
    • February 23, 2006 at 11:24 PM

    Is this a new touchscreen iPod that is rumored to come out next week?

    [Blocked Image: http://static.flickr.com/26/103357149_ebe5a6a8c7.jpg]

    To resident photoshop police: please evaluate and debunk!

  • Graphically Misleading Ads

    • Izuno
    • February 23, 2006 at 10:04 PM
    Quote from -Stratesiz-

    Not necessarily true either. Games based on films tend to be shitty. Nevertheless, some of them have been fairly big hits.

    About the fake in-game content, you wouldn't be discussing about it here unless it had an impact on you. Negative critical incidents tend to lead to stronger emotions, more mind processing, and are stored in your memory for a longer time period. People do not tend to give feedback when they are satisified with something, unless their perception of the quality significantly exceeds their expectations. Negative incidents still lead to stronger reactions like taking the initiative to complain here and creating negative word-of-mouth. Of course, all this depends on your previous exposures to the product/service/brand (positive/negative), number of exposures, relationship length with the brand, values, etc...

    bleh... I'll shut up now.

    yes I get your point. All I'm saying is think about flashy marketing on mediocre or crappy games, like Enter the Matrix. There is a property that is ripe for gamers, but in the end, the game quality actually hampered the sales of the product. Sure, they marketed the hell out of it (and no, I don't think they used flashy pre rendered footage but i can't recall) but it never lived up to expectations. It sold a lot of units, but before it was released many people were predicting GTA like numbers because the hype was so high. In the end, product quality limited the appeal.

    Everything you say about branding makes sense...that's all marketing 101 so there is no disagreement. In fact, that argues the point that slick marketing is often very effective.

    I think the issue here is, should marketers do that? In truth, most of those slick pre rendered things capture the "brand essense" which is important. They usually excite the mass market gamer. They are sometimes included somewhere within the game or on the disc somehow. Does that mean false advertising? No. Sure don't....until someone raises a lawsuit, it gets argued in court and some new ruling comes out if it.

    I feel like we've been around the pole on this enough.

  • *pokes nose in*

    • Izuno
    • February 23, 2006 at 6:41 PM

    welcome GL. Glad to see you join the core.

  • Graphically Misleading Ads

    • Izuno
    • February 23, 2006 at 6:39 PM

    well...there are marketers who do care. but for a long time in the industry most marketers haven't cared and focus mostly on financial results over a time period. it's a tough, complex issue to tackle and i really don't want to spend the time on it now cause my brain hurts today.

    anyway, marketing is full of questionable representations of products. the validity and acceptability of such marketing is really a function of the industry and precedent. Until their are laws (as related to what's going on in the UK) or established industry norms that prevent such ads, they won't go away.

    I would like to say that some of the best video game ads i've seen don't feature rendered movies: GTA SA got me very excited about that game...maybe it was the GnR playing. I think Lusas Arts ads, though not always the most innovative in general, have been effective at selling under the radar games like Mercenaries which became a great success.

    bah...marketing is second to product quality anyway. Is the game fun? Does it have a wide appeal? those are the most important questions to answer to determine game success. "is the marketing good" is only a valid question if you have a good enough game. History of game sales shows that.

  • Graphically Misleading Ads

    • Izuno
    • February 22, 2006 at 11:17 PM
    Quote from Fletch

    Same advertising group made them both. Which is also why Mikey's BIA audio sample appears in the COD commerical.

    lol...wonder which agency it was...

  • Graphically Misleading Ads

    • Izuno
    • February 22, 2006 at 8:55 PM
    Quote from Tequila

    The ads were Godawful, for sure. It was hard to tell the difference between the CoD ones and the BiA ones, such was the level of mediocrity; hardly representative of the respective games, and hardly making for good television.

    That's interesting...if "core" gamers can't tell difference between the two, then it makes you wonder how much they are differentiating the products from each other to more mass market gamers.

  • Graphically Misleading Ads

    • Izuno
    • February 22, 2006 at 6:54 PM

    wow...i was literally about to post this...

    1) It's funny, I think game marketers complain more about other game marketers using pre-rendered footage to hype games in TV ads. They'll say "I can't believe they used that! That's not even in-game!" Yet they'll go and do the same thing (often).

    2) How much do consumers really complain about this? Are consumers harmed by this? That is a core issue that will be very tough to argue in court and I don't think it is going to be an easy one.

    3) With improving graphics engines for top end games approaching quality of current pre rendered footage, this might be a dead issue soon if all game ad content is created using the game engine.

    4) Funny, I don't recall any Grand Theft Auto 3, VC or SA ad using anything but in game footage.

    I think this will be a dead issue in a year.

  • Happy birthday Kleiny!!11

    • Izuno
    • February 22, 2006 at 6:17 PM

    Happy Birthday!

  • What Games are you playing?

    • Izuno
    • February 21, 2006 at 6:59 PM

    finally finished God of War last week...just one of those games I didn't get around to playing in 05. I can see why it won so many awards, cutscenes or no.

    Been playing DoDs as usual...

    Now back to Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory on the old xbox...

    When I need a real mental break I play Hexic...getting to like survival mode a lot...now my girlfriend plays it. Geometry Wars is obviously next.

    I think next big games I'm looking forward to are...um....well I guess that would be, um....doh...

  • The Four Rules Of Good computer Games (from 1983)

    • Izuno
    • February 21, 2006 at 6:53 PM

    remember when it was all about lens flares? that was sweet.

  • Two shots from Sunday afternoon.

    • Izuno
    • February 21, 2006 at 5:23 PM

    very cool. Kind of abandonedplaces.com-esque...

  • The Four Rules Of Good computer Games (from 1983)

    • Izuno
    • February 21, 2006 at 5:19 PM

    pls, 7 minute loading screens are what makes games fun.

  • Funky 3D room painting

    • Izuno
    • February 16, 2006 at 5:24 PM

    hmm....ok so looked furhter...and I am no photoshop expert...but something about the edges of the color sections looks funky to me....and in that image with the big yellow target symbol, doesn't the upper image contain a wall mounted tv monitor, but the lower image does not have it? Wonder what the deal is with that. I did notice in that shot there is writing on the whiteboard in the lower image but not in the upper one.

    Hmm...dunno...but...

    [Blocked Image: http://files.politicalbrief.com/i_want_to_believe-web.jpg]

  • Funky 3D room painting

    • Izuno
    • February 15, 2006 at 6:52 PM
    Quote from Skjalg

    Dont think they're fakes;Also awsome: http://%7boption%7d

    Those are cool for sure, but those look like they were all done on 2D surfaces which fundamentally is easer when compared to the 3D stuff earlier in this thread...right?

    I agree it could be done with a projector...but I didn't examine the images the way Fletch did.

  • ESCHATON - An Immersive Spy Thriller.

    • Izuno
    • February 15, 2006 at 6:48 PM

    Really, I think we do wish you the best of luck, and consider that what you are doing and what you are communicating may not be in unison, which isn't necessarily bad, just it confuses people. So don't worry. Keep working and we'll just have to see your results. As of right now, it's mostly just words. I'm sure when we actually see your work in greater detail our minds will be changed. People have reason to be skeptical around here.

    Anyway...let us know when you've got more to show.

  • ESCHATON - An Immersive Spy Thriller.

    • Izuno
    • February 14, 2006 at 10:28 PM
    Quote from sinarty

    There is nothing unrealistic about them.And what exactly makes you think that this mod doesn't have a chance?

    Don't take it personally, it's just a few things...

    1) People here have significant background in mods and get a 6th sense about how mod leaders oversell everything...not that you are doing that, but you seem to have an answer for everything that sounds like "MY MOD WILL BE ALL THINGS TO ALL PEOPLE AND ALL WILL LOVE IT AND MY TEAM IS AWESOME AND EVERYONE WILL WANT TO JOIN AND I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING ON EVERY ASPECT OF THE PROJECT AND THERE WILL BE NO PROBLEMS" etc

    Are you saying exactly that? Of course not. But it sure sounds like you are implying that which has a lot of people feel + :roll:

    2) I dunno, maybe it's me, but that kinda wigs me out to think I might work for a mod leader who's avatar is Stalin. Message? Maybe it means nothing, probably means nothing...but still gives me the willies when you take #1 above into consideration.

    3) This picks back up on #1 above... You seem to think that you don't have to focus. Well you do. Now it is possible that you can be the first mod team in the history of mods to have no focus and pull all this off and be the next GameGod. Go for it. Why not? All we're saying is that NO ONE has EVER been successful doing that. Prove us wrong dood. Prove us wrong.

    4) Maybe you really do have a focus and it has flavors of many different game types and stories etc., except you haven't figured how to say it in a tight phrase that captures the essence of your mod. If that's all it is, then I suggest you figure that out. Will help you sell your mod better...but then again I'm guessing you already know that.

    In fact, I'm guessing you already know everything I've written here and none of my points are relevent. Hey, good times. Best of luck.

  • Funky 3D room painting

    • Izuno
    • February 14, 2006 at 5:33 PM

    whoa that's something that i've always imagined but never seen.

  • Google Picasa

    • Izuno
    • February 13, 2006 at 5:24 PM

    Installed it this weekend...wheeeeee it's cool.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™