1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Izuno

Posts by Izuno

  • Brothers in Arms 3D (A Cellphone Game)

    • Izuno
    • March 30, 2006 at 1:45 AM

    the foreign markets are definitely more developed for a couple reasons:

    1) more consistent and better wireless/hardware standards. they simply have better phones and better networks with less variability. still a complex market overseas, but it's certainly ahead of US.

    2) less driving overseas. There are more people per capita commuting and traveling via non-cars: busses, trains etc. they simply have more time to kill playing with a cell phone. in the US, so many people are commuting in cars they can't play games even on phones in that time.

    3) mobile gaming dominated by nintendo. hard core mobile gamers are GBA/DS and maybe PSP oriented. getting them to "think smaller" for cheaper cell phone based games takes a little work.

    4) the US mobile GBA gamer is kid focused. Sure, there are many adults, myself included, who loves playing the GBA, but it's a kids platform for the most part and kids don't really have cell phones (little kids) and even teens with cell phones aren't always the ones paying the bill, much less are they buying content like games.

    But that doesn't mean the market in the US won't change. I think about how much consumption of games I can really handle. I'd like to play some cool mobile games I guess, I really view them as things to do when I don't have anything else to do, like waiting at the dentist or on a plane, maybe on the toilet?

    I don't think I would take the same approach to it as I would my GBA games unless the games became so compelling...but for that to happen i need better/bigger screens. I think the ideal for me would be current GBA games.

    Bah, i think the long run solution is an iPod that is also a phone / blackberry / game machine / PDA.

    Save me convergance! Save me!

  • Amazing Juggler

    • Izuno
    • March 29, 2006 at 6:35 PM

    Safe for work:

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4656145640

    gotta listen, not just watch...

  • Revolution Gets Cooler

    • Izuno
    • March 29, 2006 at 2:19 AM

    well i give credit for microsoft for xbox live arcade and stuff. i like retro games for simplicity and pick up and play and i applaud efforts to make the online service more accessible.

    that said, i'm not that into all the arcade games other that geo wars and hexic. i guess the marble game is cool, but wtf...why not open the architecture up to the mod scene? i'd really like to see simple arcade type games that homeusers can build designed for a console and not for a pc?

    i love pc mods and simple pc homemade games, but i'd like to see some simple action games with lame graphics but killer gameplay to play with my controller. and i'm willing to pay so give them to me on xbox live arcade and charge me a few bucks for it to recoup the dev cost.

    come on msft...open the floodgates. have a team of 2 people be the gatekeepers to evaluate titles for further approval with the execs. how easy is that? let us develop shit on a PC, or sell a dev kit for retail xboxes. no game will ever get distributed on xbox live without going through you? so you won't get stiffed out of your precious precious money.

    anyway...i am enjoying ghost recon, even though it is more like current gen 1.5 than next gen (which would be current gen 2.0 in my stupid analogy)

  • Computer question

    • Izuno
    • March 29, 2006 at 1:25 AM
    Quote from Section_Ei8ht

    yeah, get something with more juice. You can run that with a 350, but I wouldnt recommend it. get at least a 480-500.

    agreed. 350 is bottoming out. get more dousers in your trousers for that rig. hope that nice rig plays well.

  • Christian convert sentenced to death

    • Izuno
    • March 28, 2006 at 9:32 PM

    I just think that it is ironic to think about the issue in an isolated state, regardless of the century or time or place: the penalty for converting away from a religion is death. The irony comes from a Western perspective where there is a general freedom of religion.

    However, if where you live religion is equated with nationalism and loyalty and the state, then converting away is sort of like defecting to another government. Not to long ago in the US there were witch hunts for communists. Or think about foreign spies on domestic soil. Treason has historically been a capital crime.

    So from that perspective, it's not surprising there was all this muck muck over the local courts contemplating a death sentence.

    In the US (and other western states) this becomes a big media issue simply because it's news that will sell, pure and simple. On the flip side, in a way it is an important story simply if it gets westerners more of an opportunity to understand other cultures. To Fletch's point, what are we expecting of cultures that haven't experienced anything else?

  • Christian convert sentenced to death

    • Izuno
    • March 27, 2006 at 11:36 PM

    This is a great story for people who love the study of paradoxes. One could ask:

    Why would anyone want to convert away from a religion where the penalty for converting away is death?

    Read in any amount of sarcasm you want...in fact try asking this question to yourself with sarcasm, sincerity, animosity or humor or etc. and see where it takes you.

  • Dallas Arboretum

    • Izuno
    • March 27, 2006 at 6:56 PM

    I like the bee one and the last one with the water the best.

  • Crap Zilla, they beat us to it...

    • Izuno
    • March 27, 2006 at 6:18 PM

    I can't wait until someone starts to sell advertising space on people's wheels.

  • ILM and LucasArts "Merge"

    • Izuno
    • March 26, 2006 at 2:55 AM

    is this going to be only for internally developed games? what about externally developed games? I'd love ot see Mercenaries 2 on next gen...though as long as it is fun as the first game I don't care what system it is on.

  • Old Old OLD Halflife Trailer

    • Izuno
    • March 24, 2006 at 7:56 PM

    wow that brings back the memories. i think when HL came out it was my favorite time in gaming...before PS2 and Xbox etc...even though I really do like a lot of that generation games it was the HalfLifes, Jedi Knight, C&C games and SNES / N64 that brings most warmth to my heart when it comes to gaming.

    sigh...

  • Revolution Gets Cooler

    • Izuno
    • March 24, 2006 at 5:24 PM

    i dunno...emmulators means you gotta sit around the computer and play.

    having the old SNES out means everyone can sit around the TV and enjoy the fun with the controllers the way it was meant to be played. i don't think my girlfriend would be interested in playing her SNES games on my PC. watching her play and appreciate a game the way I appreciate games means a lot. emmulators wouldn't allow for that.

    anyway...old school games...why am more excited about finding an old Sega Genesis than most of the stuff coming out now? Only thing I ever played on genesis was Sonic and NHL Hockey.

  • Revolution Gets Cooler

    • Izuno
    • March 24, 2006 at 6:45 AM

    how awesome is Nintento?

    last weekend i located the missing power cable to my girlfriend's old SNES and the past week she's been playing supermario world that she had when she was in middle school over a decade ago. her old saved games were still intact. It looks great on her HD TV and she's having so much fun. I think I'm buying a Revolution this fall.

  • It seems like we going to meet Battlefield again

    • Izuno
    • March 23, 2006 at 10:32 PM

    i haven't read into the story, which honestly i wasn't assuming much from.

    i'm just thinking about the gameplay first.

    but regarding the story, i agree that even if a "good" story in a game like this is just window dressing, it still helps the immersion. I haven't finished GRAW yet, and i've heard the story isn't that deep, but so far I like it enough and it makes me want to play more.

    so back on BF2142, I do agree that the completely bullshit story would make it less appealing as a complete game package.

    I'd like to say "maybe it will change between now and release" but somehow I really doubt that it will.

  • Now I like Tool...

    • Izuno
    • March 23, 2006 at 7:31 PM

    Fibonacci owns. please.

  • It seems like we going to meet Battlefield again

    • Izuno
    • March 23, 2006 at 7:23 PM

    war in 2142? Sure...i'm kinda in the mood for some "futuristic" war games with lazers and mechs and stuff...not that BF2142 has to be the answer, but it's wetting my appetite I guess.

    I don't put too much stock in the screens right now...honestly I'm more interested in what the gameplay balance is actually like. I'm sure graphics won't be the best when they're released but they won't induce puking.

    Regarding the mechs...

    There have been plenty of games with Mechs across many genres: Mechs in Mechwarrior games, in RTS games and to some degree in FPS / Action games. I would think that a Mech should be able to wipe out a shitload of soldiers...it would take a serious fire power to bring one down (i'd hope) and maybe soldiers with big rockets or lasers could do it blah blah blah.

    My point is, as long as they are balanced then great. I also don't think there should be a lot of mechs in a battle at once, at least early in the game. I like the idea of seeing a mech for the first time as being a "holy shit" moment that is cool. If in level one there are 10 vs. 10 mech battles

    with them getting blown up like Stormtroopers getting attacked by [anyone] then it wouldn't make the mechs that special.

    So many Ewoks, so few Mechs...

  • G.R.A.W.

    • Izuno
    • March 23, 2006 at 12:26 AM

    well i finally got it today after finishing a tough work project ... twas my reward to myself.

    only finished the training level and played level 1...i really like it. i haven't played much of ghost recon games before and i found there was a bit of a learning curve on the controls. still, i like what i'm seeing and I can't wait to play some online with people. give me a hollar on xbox live if you need some newb to chew up.

  • Plane, Snakes on A...

    • Izuno
    • March 17, 2006 at 5:22 PM

    man...i don't know how this could be good...but it's got Samuel Jackson and if he is allowed to be more Jules and less Quigon it could be hilariously baddass in a "let's get drunk and watch a shitty movie" kind of way.

    Best snake line ever is still: "Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?" - Raiders of the Lost Ark

  • PS3 launching worldwide November 2006

    • Izuno
    • March 15, 2006 at 8:23 PM

    i don't care what the premise of the games are at this point for PS3 launch just as long as they (1) play great (2) show killer next gen graphics improvement. #1 > #2, but I still want to see stuff that looks good so my friends in my life who tell me I waste time playing video games can start to gawk at it. so far they haven't been gawking at my mastery of Hexic on 360.

  • Two rants on level design, need opinions

    • Izuno
    • March 14, 2006 at 11:52 PM
    Quote from TomWithTheWeather

    Within the level designer role though, we've been successful in splitting the gameplay/combat guys from the story/cutscene guys. This allows me to work on MapA's gameplay while another works on MapB's cutscenes. Then we trade. As long as we keep to certain standards and make everything fairly modular, everything works correctly.

    Personally, I think that's optimal. Of course, you really do need people in the same office working next to each other to make this work.

    Only thing I'd add is that having a common vision that everyone understand is key to making it work well. That does not always happen, but what seperates good teams from great teams is the ability to recognize when the vision isn't clear and come up with some kind of resolution that keeps everyone working.

    More on topic...

    If you are a modder and are thinking of doing it all...I really suggest you pick one thing and master that, learn the other stuff as much as you can. Don't try to be all things to all people. The complexity of today's technology doesn't allow the time to master it all anymore, unless you can function without sleep or any kind of life.

  • de_dam_facility

    • Izuno
    • March 13, 2006 at 8:07 PM
    Quote from mikezilla

    that's a nice damn facility.LOULOOLLO

    i slay me sometimes.

    damn you and your intended puns.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™