1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Izuno

Posts by Izuno

  • Gears of War release date announced

    • Izuno
    • August 10, 2006 at 5:45 PM
    Quote from FrieChamp

    I'm afraid that's going to be a long wait son.

    Anyway just came across this video, kinda funny

    http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=10156

    Looks pretty cool...but somehow it reminds me a lot of killswitch...though I know it's not the same game. Any other good trailers handy? Just want to see more gameplay besides shooting from cover.

  • LOST (Imminent Spoilers)

    • Izuno
    • August 10, 2006 at 12:22 AM
    Quote from Mazy

    Well Izuno, according to Damon Lindelof (Co-creator and writer on the show) who's also on the Lost podcast, he said that he was sure that ABC will keep it on until ratings go down. His opinion on the matter was to end the show after the third or fourth season, but if Lost continues to have good ratings then it looks like it'll get watered out for sure.

    Yeah I know. As long as the show is profitable enough, it will continue. :roll:

  • LOST (Imminent Spoilers)

    • Izuno
    • August 9, 2006 at 9:20 PM

    Second season of Lost started off great, then quickly lost appeal because they spent so much time on characters that many mainstream watchers (of the millions and millions total around the world) just got bored.

    The real hook of the show is the concept, the setting, the intertwined mystery, the story and not the characters. yes, I agree the characters are cool, but by mid season two it felt like the writers/producers etc were just toying with the audience, abusing us with these deep character explorations that just left us saying "ok that was nice but wtf is going on in the story and the island?"

    But by late in season two it was as if the producers started to realize that and got back on track. The final episodes of Lost season 2 really kicked ass imho, but i really struggled to hang in there some weeks.

    But here's the real deal...obviously Lost is a money making show for ABC, and they are going to try to milk it for as long as possible. I don't know how much of this I can take. I kinda want it to end after season 3 and just answer/resolve every myster, like perhaps Act 3 of an three act play/movie. (more likely, season 3 will be second half of Act 2 of Lost, then season 4 will be Act 3 series finale.)

    I will be pissed of this show goes on for like 6 or 7 seasons. I think they should end on high note and just move on to the next great idea and stop abusing us with boring mid season episodes that make my fall asleep.

  • Now playing

    • Izuno
    • August 8, 2006 at 11:36 PM

    SNES:

    inactive, though my fiance was playing Mario something a few months ago and loving it.

    GBA:

    played some Donkey Country on the plane on recent business trip

    X360:

    - Amped 3 for 2 minutes before sending it back for lack of anything redeaming (rental) then telling one of my clients that it was just a rip of SSX on Tour only crappier. your opinion may vary.

    - more Hexic for 6 whole minutes last week!

    - Moto GP O6. Yes I'm biased cause I worked brand side of this game a little bit a while ago, but for motorcycle racing nuts, it's a must have. Too bad i only played for 10 minutes

    - DOA Extreme II or whatever it's called. Not bad.

    - Saints Row demo (def check this out...fun2play!)...ok actually played this at one of my client's offices in their waiting area.

    - Frogger demo on Xbox Live. Somehow I liked it better on Atari 2600 because the graphics and audio were crappier.

    PS2:

    inactive

    Xbox:

    - Tried SW Battlefront II finally. Not bad, though no time to get into it

    - Sid Mier's Pirates...omg...after 5 minutes I hated it.

    PC:

    - about 20 minutes of DOD:S the other week. Would love to play more if i could...

    man I have no time for playing games for funzors. I got Hitman Blood Money just waiting to be played on my 360....then the LEGO SW II demo. Le sigh. Maybe in September.

  • Dark Messiah Demo

    • Izuno
    • August 8, 2006 at 11:24 PM

    not that I have any time to play games or demos this month (ok maybe 5 minutes on Xbox Live here and there) but I definitely want to check this out, just to see what new ideas are being done in Source. The gameplay movie I weeks (months?) ago looked cool.

  • No more E3?

    • Izuno
    • July 31, 2006 at 6:16 PM

    I think in the long run it will be cyclical. I see more of a scaled back E3 next year and it will continue to be so until market forces push it back. It's all about cost-benefit, and if the befinit of spending millions on the show is simply not returned in press etc for a particular publisher, then eventually it has to catch up. If I spend say $10 million on the show but don't feel I'm really getting $10 million worth of value out of it for my company, why would I continue to do that? I admit there probably is some tacit collusion among publishers in that many of the large ones may be scaling back simultaneously, but there's really no harm to the consumer so who cares.

    On another level, I do think this is actually a good sign for the industry: less bullshit and more quality games. I think I've been to the last six E3's and every year it seemed the bullshit got crazier, highlighted by 2005 when you simply could not hear a god damn thing on the show floor. At least this year the noise level was down there crowd was a bit thinner so you could actually see more and play more up close.

    I'm wondering if this will all blow over and we'll see all the major players their next year except with smaller budgets and more of a focus on games and demos... :roll:

  • MapCore Job Census

    • Izuno
    • July 29, 2006 at 5:42 PM

    Jeremy Miller - Industry consultant. Current Clients: 1 game publisher, 1 game studio, 1 media agency

  • Next gen Star Wars Game

    • Izuno
    • July 24, 2006 at 11:55 PM

    OK let's assume that was pre-rendered footage. Whatever, it is clearly communicating some kind of gameplay, so let's just talk about that and not worry about the CG.

    1) Gimme more Jedi Knight type games! They have huge potential to kickass.

    2) Using the force is cool, but I don't want an all powerful character like that, at least not for the entire game. Let me build up my force powers. In the beginning, give me cool simple little things to do with the force. Later, let me do some more advanced stuff that helps me in combat but doesn't just make me auto win every battle like in that video. Eventually I have no problem kicking all ass using force powers against stormtroopers and TIE fighers etc..but give me some cool balance.

    Anyway, if the next gen JK game (assuming it is in production) looks generally that good, then good times. Give me some cool next gen gameplay and not just physics with objects and characters (which are still cool) but also better integration of puzzles and combat using the force, my lightsabre and shit a good ol blaster or other fine Star Wars weapons.

    I think the Jedi Knight games have been faithful to that desire in general, so I'm not really complaining just reiterating what I hope to see in the evolution of the series.

    Finally, build in really kick ass lightsaber combat. This is not easy, trust me. I have actually taught Filipino stick/sword fighting and making stuff look good for a movie is hard enough as it is, now making it controllable and still good looking/fun in a video game is even harder. Perhaps some more context sensitive swordplay that's easy to control is what is required. Jedi Academy had some better sword play, but I think even better is possible.

  • Video of Valve's Portal

    • Izuno
    • July 20, 2006 at 10:48 PM
    Quote from TomWithTheWeather

    Seeing as how you can probably place your portals anywhere, my guess is that it's not a VIS thing at all, but some render-to-texture type stuff. This way, there is no need to alter BSP/walls/geometry in realtime. Notice in the video how when you place the first portal, you can't see through it until you place the second. The second acts like a camera that shows what the first one sees, and probably the other way around once you get the second placed.

    It's probably no different than realtime video screens/cameras that you've seen in many different games, except you can now walk through them.

    Shoot, Prey probably does it the same exact way.

    Now that's a better answer.

  • the german TV is fucked up

    • Izuno
    • July 20, 2006 at 10:05 PM

    Dare I say this thread is treading into Polital Forum waters.

  • Video of Valve's Portal

    • Izuno
    • July 20, 2006 at 10:00 PM
    Quote from dissonance

    yeah, i wonder if they're going to have to use a different vis system or something.

    Yes excellent question. Now, I'm assuming that when you are looking through a portal it is possible to calculate your location in the portal world relative to the VIS set...

    hmm....i can foresee some very tricky VIS calculations to try to keep framerate low...or otherwise you make maps "less complicated and stuff" to not overtax the engine in game. Hence it makes sense that the demo we saw was of a relatively sterile type atmosphere where few if any portals would bring down the system. Further, you could place both ends of a portal such that they look into each other, creating a hall of mirrors effect where in theory you could see into infinity. i'm sure someone has thought of that and all this VIS optimization with portals.

    hmm...excellent question...

  • Best. Game. Ever.

    • Izuno
    • July 20, 2006 at 5:47 AM
    Quote from Fletch

    Mine would be somewhere between and

    We need Peter ... :frigginsweet: or :Peter:

  • Best. Game. Ever.

    • Izuno
    • July 20, 2006 at 3:08 AM

    There is no emoticon to express how I feel after watching that.

  • Video of Valve's Portal

    • Izuno
    • July 19, 2006 at 5:01 AM
    Quote from Fletch

    It's a neat tech demo, but i want to see what they're real level and game design is going to look like. I do hope it has multiplayer though. Imagine the fun of diving through a wall and popping out from the ceiling above somebody chasing you.

    Makes you think that maybe the portal could be used a few different ways in MP...like maybe there is a mode where you always have it and perhaps it is the only weapon...or a mode with normal deathmatch and you pick up a portal weapon and it is only good for a certain # of portals or time limit. Lots of possibilities need to be explored.

  • Video of Valve's Portal

    • Izuno
    • July 18, 2006 at 10:34 PM
    Quote from Erratic

    Maybe a little, but Prey does have more going for it than just portals, so it's not too big a one up.

    Well, I think the tech is one thing, but given past Valve games, they will likely come up with some very innovative gameplay based on that tech. Prey has good, fun gameplay, but not revolutionary. I think Valve could show us some revolutionary puzzle/combat ideas with that...but it all depends on what they do with it.

  • Video of Valve's Portal

    • Izuno
    • July 18, 2006 at 8:58 PM

    that is friggin sweet.

  • Polish Mentos spot

    • Izuno
    • July 17, 2006 at 10:23 PM

    needs more diet Coke.

  • Team Fortress 2 still alive :o

    • Izuno
    • July 15, 2006 at 12:09 AM

    Oooooooh yeah!

  • DOD_Anemia by FMPONE

    • Izuno
    • July 14, 2006 at 9:55 PM

    well it is a competent map. visually i like the detail level, though it does look like everything else in dod already...which is good and bad depending on whom you ask.

    it does lack an flavor of destruction or combat. I suggest adding some cool looking damage to spot that is original ...uh...try thinking of a "different" way a building or area of the map would be damaged, such as a tree knocked over into a "fragile" roof and the roof is caved in and damaged not just as if from a bomb... :roll: i'm rambling but listen to the advice above...it is good.

    still great start!!! i'm looking forward to imprUvements.

  • Gothic III

    • Izuno
    • July 13, 2006 at 9:13 PM
    Quote from skdr

    I think this looks better than Oblivion. Looking forward to this!Izuno, are you working on this game?

    No I'm consulting to someone consulting to someone working on the game.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™