One more post and D3 becomes 1337.
![]()
One more post and D3 becomes 1337.
![]()
My top ten is all Britney, Jessica and Christina. Plus maybe some Whitney Houston, Cher and Donna Summers.
Haven't read the whole thread, but curious about who lives in Africa. What's the gaming scene like there...though I know it is a huge place. Represent and educate us...expand our world view, please! ![]()
Quote from DarkThe cinematic was really cool, voice acting was very good, felt like I was watching a large budget movie. The gameplay videos don't look very good though. I will have to try it out to see for myself though.
Where did you guys get mmorg from lol, its mainly an fps, but similar to ummm, deus ex I would assume by the rpg features in it.
1. Crappy derivative rendered CG cinematic
2. Marginal at best gameplay video
We have a winner!
For now, 360. I'd like to get a Wii but I'm not a Zelda player. At this point I'd only get a Wii for the old skool games, even though we do have a working SNES at home.
BOOOOO!
That trailer is soooooooooooo derivative of Aliens. So derivative I am now assuming the game itself is a piece of junk until I experience actual gameplay that proves otherwise.
Quote from kleinlukaI still havent played the final game. Am supposed to get my copy next week i think.
Criminal! Yeah the studios always get the free copies from the publisher after all the PR, Marketing and corporate Product Develoment departments get theirs.
Just finished the first level. The helicopter intros to the levels are cool. Love the vistas.
Got a copy today. Played most of first level...reminds me quite a bit of GRAW, though I assume this is just an "intro" level and the bulk of the game has the Vegas stuff.
So far, I like it. It has a SOCOM feel of course, but I like the controls and it looks great. Teammates seem actually useful, thought sometimes the get in the way like in most squad shooters. I do think the cover mechanism works better here than in GRAW, or at least it feels easier to play.
One thing, the default controls for cover are different from Gears of War so it took me time to get used to it because i was playing a lot of GoW yesterday.
If you like Ghost Recon or R6 games, I assume you'll like this one a lot. I'll pass more judgement when I play more of the game.
PS: IR/Klein: saw your names in the credits!
Quote from MazyI've never understood why they plaster Tom Clancy's name all over those titles. It means nothing to me, and in fact I'd rather be without it since it just makes the title of those games ridiculously long. Anyway, as far as I know Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon are entirely made up by the developers, and given that they dont really have special story relating to anything Tom Clancy afaik then why the hell bother?
But I guess the Clancy name sells copies for some people :G
Yes I am with you. At this point, the "Tom Clancy" brand is what's called an umbrella brand that unifies GR, R6 and SC all together. You could argue that GR, R6 and SC are each franchises under the TC brand.
But from a comparision point of view, consider this: If you were trying to figure out how to develop, how to market and when to release an original property, would you take games like the original Splinter Cell under consideration in your analysis? Would you take the first Call of Duty game? Clearly Call of Duty was an original property developed by Infinity Ward. But it's WW2 which is a "free" license. I really think it is an original property. Just as the first Brothers in Arms is an original property, and BIA:EIB is a sequel of original IP.
The bottom line is that this is not so cut in dry and is actually highly debateble, especially by publishers doing brand planning and forecast modeling. And I think this is highly important to developers contemplating creating an original IP when trying to determine the sales potential of a game before they make it.
My conclusion is that games like Splinter Cell are really a hybrid. Technically it is licensed, however it was an original property. It's kind of like an original racing game that has a bunch of licensed vehicles in it. It's kind of original, yet kind of kind of not.
Splinter Cell
Ghost Recon
Rainbow Six
Yes, all three of these series are techically licensed from the Tom Clancy universe of books. Rainbow Six was actually a book, so you could argue that the game really is a true license...as in it is adapted content from a non video game source. (The book did come first, right?)
Ghost Recon I believe is only a video game with the Tom Clancy name on it. Splinter Cell also is only a video game with the Tom Clancy name on it...until a Splinter Cell book came out a couple years ago that was not actually written by Tom Clancy.
Anyway, is Splinter Cell an original IP or license? It's licensed by Ubisoft from Tom Clancy because it uses Clancy's name, but wasn't it created originally as a video game and wasn't it the first time the Sam Fisher character appeared? I think this game is a tough one to categorize.
One of my clients is doing a big analysis of Licensed vs Original IP and in our last meeting this question occupied us for about 30 minutes.
My Opinion:
I think it should really be an original IP and not a license, because "Splinter Cell" is a bigger draw than "Tom Clancy" to gamers, even though in the beginning of the series it may have been the reverse.
Thanks
PLays great on a plasma...plays great on an LCD (graphics wise anyway...)
We have a 42" LCD...not latest tech but still looks amazing. One of my friends plays it in his office on split screen co-op a lot and loves...and he's only playing on a 30" LCD computer monitor.
or you're a ![]()
I still think launch quanitities are being artificially restricted to create the perception that PS3 is the hottest thing ever to get as much media attention as possilbe, with the intent of increasing demand/hype even more. It will probably work. Sad. Sad that people wait 3 days for it not sure if they'll get one.
I really should jump in some MP games. Liking the SP so far. Personally I'm more of a Mercenaries type of action/shooter gamer, but this is definetely a very solid product. If you like shooters, I don't think you'll go wrong with this one.
Quote from zaphodDisplay MoreXPS 700 Jet BlackIntel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6600 (4MB L2 Cache,2.4GHz,1066 FSB)
Memory 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs
Video Card 1GB NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 Dual-GPU Graphics Card
Hard Drive 640GB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 320GB SATA 3Gb/s 7200 RPM HDDs)
Optical Drive Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable
Sound Cards Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card
well it should be on the truck soon, I'll let you guys know how she handles once I get it unpacked and operational
How much does that cost at Dell?
Zaph i have the same problem. There's a lot of PC games I need to test out for my clients, and I don't have the time anymore to deal with research.
My cousin has a new MacPro and I may go that route. I already have a MacbookPro laptop and it runs windows great. Even though the video card is good it's not ideal for running hogs like Company of Heroes.
If / when you find a solution soon, please let us know. Right now I have an AMD 3400+ running an ATI x800 pro or some old thing like that. I need an upgrade!!!
Quote from SpellbinderThis statement sounds like you have to live with dead pixels on any monitor. If this is true it sucks.
Most manufacturers offer a dead pixel rebate policy. If you receive a monitor with over a threshold number, they'll replace it, free. You can probably find this on Dell's website if you look hard enough.
check out Dell's 20" widescreen. They have a model for under $300.
Quote from KungFuSquirrelI'm also specifically impressed with the level design. It's simple but clearly very deliberate and they get great mileage out of every element of it.
Coming from you that's a good sign. By comparison, as cool as FEAR is, the level design kind of bores me so I'm sorta meh on the game in general.
Might be trading in GRAW for GoW this weekend ![]()