1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Izuno

Posts by Izuno

  • Now playing 2010

    • Izuno
    • October 18, 2010 at 6:01 PM

    Anyone play Hydrophobia on XBLA? I played the demo but found the pacing / "story" integration wrecked it...at least wrecked the demo. I must be wrong because I've heard a lot of people really like it.

    Otherwise...I also recently played through Angry Birds on iPhone...for $.99 it's crack for your finger.

    I'm thinking Borderlands GotY might how I spend my holiday time once I get sick of checking out Cataclysm after a week.

  • Now playing 2010

    • Izuno
    • October 18, 2010 at 5:30 AM
    Quote from Serenius

    Replaying Dragon Age. It's a nice break from the endless shooters.

    Speaking of needing a break from shooters, just got around to finishing Halo Reach so I loaded up Alan Wake from my "stack of games to play" and while I get what Remedy was trying to do, it just didn't float my boat. I suppose I should give it more time since I really liked Heavy Rain and my colleague said "if you like Heavy Rain you should like Alan Wake."

    Anyway, I'll give MoH a go since EA was kind enough to sport me a copy :) Otherwise I need some more time with RDR and...what's this? God of War III ye be not thy finished? Thoust hast not even 10 hours to finish? [Blocked Image: https://migrationtest.mapcore.org/public/style_emoticons/default/mapcore_smilies/emot_shakehead.gif]

  • South Park mid-season premiere

    • Izuno
    • October 13, 2010 at 5:45 PM

    Next one appears to be about Jersey Shore...I have hopes it will be better than season premier.

  • The Taqwacores

    • Izuno
    • October 11, 2010 at 7:27 AM

    It might not make it there, but who knows. It finished post production in fall 2009, went to Sundance in Jan 2010 and is just now getting a US premier. I was skeptical when I first read the script a couple years ago but it is based on a real music movement that not that many people know about...really sheds a different view on Islam that I never knew anything about.

  • South Park mid-season premiere

    • Izuno
    • October 7, 2010 at 11:04 PM

    I watched. It was better than the end of the last half season about Jimmy at that summer camp. WTF was that?

    I didn't find it incredibly funny, however I expect it to get funnier if I see it a few more times.

  • The Taqwacores

    • Izuno
    • October 7, 2010 at 10:56 PM

    http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/inde ... aqwacores/

    My cousin edited this movie that appeared at Sundance earlier this year. Debuts in the US later this month. It's about the US Muslim punk scene...adapted from the book of the same name. I think there was a documentary (?) about it but this film is a fictional adaptation. I basically saw the film during the edit process in my cousin's office, and while I had never known about the Muslim punk music scene before, I found the movie very very interesting. Anyway, just sharing.

  • EA vs. Edge Games = Trademark Shenanigans

    • Izuno
    • October 5, 2010 at 5:55 PM

    Bumping due to fresh and relevant news:

    http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ea-v ... trademark/

    Quote

    The litigation against EA over the use of the term “Edge” has finally come to a conclusion, IndustryGamers learned in court documents we received today. Tim Langdell, founder of Edge Games, has been on a suing spree over the past several months, and it seems as though he has now failed to win against Electronic Arts.EA, who has long sought to get the case thrown out, and said Langdell was deliberately deceiving the USPTO, has successfully done so with today’s ruling. The court has denied Edge Games’ motion for injunction, citing that it believes that Langdell made fraudulent statements to the US Patent and Trademark Office and strongly believes that Langdell is “suspect,” and has been “trolling” the game industry for licensing opportunities. His actions could possibly warrant “criminal penalties.”

    An EA spokesperson told us the company is “pleased with the opinion issued by the court. We hope that this case serves as a milestone in protecting independent developers from nuisance litigation.”

    Of course, we have to applaud the court for using “trolling” in their official ruling.

  • listen up, scum!

    • Izuno
    • October 4, 2010 at 3:50 AM

    Yarr...t'is better to be late to a barthday thread than not ta show up at all, yarr...or something.

    Happy Birthday!

  • Valve creates micro-transaction steam support

    • Izuno
    • October 1, 2010 at 7:03 AM

    Love it or hate it F2P is coming to western markets in a big way. There are many kinks to work out but it's going to happen...and maybe be awesome or maybe suck for a while until people get it right. I'm glad Valve is getting into it because I'd like to see a 1000 modders come up with new ideas of how to implement F2P / microtransaction systems and then have the best ones get traction and the rest die off. We all talk about wanting innovation, creativity, originality...why not explore F2P business models with the same mindset. Maybe something really good will come out of a new model based on Steam. Or shit maybe nothing will come of it.

  • Halo Reach

    • Izuno
    • September 16, 2010 at 10:22 PM

    Halo...played and liked it a lot.

    Halo 2...played but never finished it.

    Halo 3...played but never finished because despite MSFT saying my save games on my HDD would still be fine after 2nd RROD, my saved games stopped working. Plus I didn't really like it that much.

    Halo Wars...shya right like i played that.

    Halo 3: ODSTRTDODTS never played it.

    Halo Reach... The NPCs in "story moments" don't feel quite as stiff as they did in Halo 3. Dialog writing and voice acting still leaves much to be desired, but so far I'm liking this much better than H2 or H3.

    Also somewhat interesting, here in the US Target was offering a $20 giftcard with purchase of Halo Reach. They were completely sold out at the two Targets near me as of Wednesday. The Best Buy (horrifyingly within walking distance of my house) had a huge quantity so no issues there but they also had a $20 gift card free with purchase of Halo Reach. I'm thinking that the retailers may have funded much of that discount in an attempt to lure buyers from Gamestop and from each other.

    Anyway, having fun with it so way to go Bungie I guess. $200M US+EU not bad for the opening day of sales.

  • Company of Heroes lead designer killed saving his wife&baby

    • Izuno
    • September 7, 2010 at 5:45 PM

    I'm very glad his wife and unborn baby survived...truly he is a hero.

    I'm sure some of the Relic guys I worked with back in my THQ days are still there and knew Brian, however I don't have any current real connection with him. That said, this still makes my blood boil as it should.

  • Duke Nukem Forever

    • Izuno
    • September 3, 2010 at 6:56 PM

    Mikey you writing witty dialog for Duke? Could be a dream come true.

    +1 for GBX

    +1 for Take2

  • Project Sword/Epic Citadel

    • Izuno
    • September 1, 2010 at 9:42 PM

    downloading now.

    I'm really curious to see the kind of traction Game Center will get once it releases next week.

    update...

    ok walked around. very cool for something that runs on you phone. yes it is a bit "generic" but I still think it is an accomplishment for iPhone graphics. That said, this is just a tech demo but thankfully it is free. This gets me thinking (again) about the lack of buttons/control sticks on the iPhone which is certainly a limit to how well you could play an action game on the platform. I do like the demo's ability to tap somewhere and you just walk there, combined with the virtual left/right thumbsticks. in any event, I'm actually thinking some kind of adventure game that doesn't depend too much on action might be a really cool and feasible game with this. But let's face it, people wants theirs actions games.

  • Where is my Mapcore !?

    • Izuno
    • August 25, 2010 at 3:29 PM

    My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

  • Bioshock Infinite (Spoiler free thread)

    • Izuno
    • August 23, 2010 at 8:03 PM

    If anything the Bioshock games to date have the theoretical constant environmental threat of the room you are in getting flooded. Obviously that was highly controlled by the game designers and of course it wasn't really a threat all the time. But from an atmospheric perspective, it did add to the underlying tension assuming you buy into the suspension of disbelief to at least some degree. That said, I didn't really feel a lot of tension about this once you got into the game and learned the mechanics which doesn't take too long.

    For Bioshock Infinite, at least there is an opportunity to have a similar mechanic in the constant threat of potentially falling to your death. At least the trailer used that to the double rainbow extreme...all the way. From a design perspective, this poses a bit of an interesting challenge of how you could use that the right amount...as in not too much nor too little to make it an effective part of the game without getting numb or repetitive.

    On the plus side, I think this game has a lot of potential but i would like to see more atmosphere in the erm...atmosphere such as more variation in night and day, weather etc. but I would expect the actual game to have all that. Like maybe zombie flying dogs coming at you from 360 degrees that shoot ninja scorpions at you. Think of the bullets on the back of the package:

    "WE HAVE BESTEST NINJA SCORPIONS EVAR THAT COME FROM FLYING ZOMBIE DOGS IN 360 DEGREES. BUY OUR GAME."

  • iPhone 4

    • Izuno
    • August 17, 2010 at 4:05 AM

    I've had my iPhone4 for 3 weeks or so now...and in general it was a huge step up from my old 3G model. The 3GS is certainly faster than the 3G, so i was extra pleased at the iPHone4's speed in the OS and running apps. As for reception, I have noticed some dropped calls more often even with a case, but shit it is the price you pay. In the long run I may get less attached to the Apps when enough stuff is on the Droid OS, but for now I'm happy. On the plus side, I sold my old 3G as well as my wife's old 3G, both for cash that essentially made the upgrades to both our iPhone4's almost free.

  • We've finally gone public -- Project MyWorld

    • Izuno
    • July 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM

    and tubgirl.

    Still, looks interesting. Aside from racing/flying/boating...what about unleashing tornadoes, killer bees, alien invations, world wars and other even edgier stuff? I get the building and social interaction stuff...I like both a lot...but more stuff to do seems cool. Farmville/Fronteirville/Pr0nVille are just clicking...really boring imho. This at least looks like there is some more interesting stuff but I also gather it's not intended to run inside Facebook. Or is it? zomg!

  • Alien Swarm - New non-FPS Valve game out Monday!

    • Izuno
    • July 19, 2010 at 9:31 PM
    Quote from Steam

    Steam - ErrorThe Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request.

    Please try again in a few minutes.

    Curses.

  • Pirates of New Horizons

    • Izuno
    • July 13, 2010 at 10:53 PM

    I like what I see so far. I have not been satisfied with any Pirate game and all the pirate themed content in WoW over the years yarr has me a tharst for booty and plunderin'.

    If you guys want to talk down the road distribution strategy, I'd be more than happy to help brainstorm.

    :pirate:

    PS: Campaignjunkie your analysis of the name on the second page of this thread was possibly one of the best posts ever on mapcore. For reals.

  • Global publisher sabotaged UK games tax breaks

    • Izuno
    • June 30, 2010 at 5:19 AM

    Warner has the rights to make LOTR games, not EA. And Turbine, makers of LotRO, was bought by Warner, too.

    I think LEGO Harry Potter is also WBIE though the movie SKUs are still EA.

    Tangentially, is it crazy to assume WBIE will eventually make LEGO Lord of the Rings games? I mean...with all the characters and the hack and slash potential, it's gotta happen...right?

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™