1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Izuno

Posts by Izuno

  • Call of Duty 7: Black Ops

    • Izuno
    • November 23, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    Quote from D3ads

    Welcome to page 11; viewtopic.php?p=277978#p277978

    Yes I understood that. I was commenting on that which was in an earlier part of the thread. My apologies for not putting in quotes. Sheesh.

  • Call of Duty 7: Black Ops

    • Izuno
    • November 23, 2010 at 7:17 AM

    http://%7boption%7d

    The comments in that IG post are just the best! It's like the XBL CoD community arrived in force and typed responses that are slightly more coherent then the way its members speak on chat! (Except for Mapcorians on XBL, of course.)

    If Activision is going to pull that off, there would have to be a major structural change in how CoD is delivered to the consumer. Charging consumers more money for the same thing is very tough. You have to have content worthy of it or otherwise offering them more value though other innovation. Maybe the big A can pull it off. One [thing] of [thing] named game to rule them all.

    While not a 1 to 1 analogy, WoW was a completely transformed way of delivering new Warcraft content to gamers. In WoW's case, the MMO model was already well established so Blizzard just took that path but with content many gamers really, really liked. For CoD to make a similar transition, I suppose it could follow the Nexon F2P model with Combat Arms, but last I heard Combat Arms, even though a quality game, doesn't generate a billion dollars or more a year in revenue. With Warcraft III, transitioning the elements of its RTS gameplay to MMORPG gameplay obviously worked. Would something like that work for the twitch / action gameplay of CoD? MMOFPSs have not worked, so I'm assuming that's not in the cards for CoD should Activision pull this off.

    Oh shit i'm exhausted and rambling (daughter is up sick and I've got first shift tonight)...Thrik you know what i'm getting at...to you sir!

  • Anyone donating to Childs Play this year?

    • Izuno
    • November 16, 2010 at 6:06 PM

    Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

  • Mazy! :D

    • Izuno
    • November 11, 2010 at 6:40 PM

    bappy hirthday

  • The Dark Knight Rises

    • Izuno
    • November 10, 2010 at 5:45 PM

    Speaking of Michael Caine...

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • The Dark Knight Rises

    • Izuno
    • November 9, 2010 at 8:58 PM

    The Dark Knight without the Joker character would have been a giant turd sandwich.

    However, that character saved it. I really liked it, even though the plot makes no sense and is so beyond absurd. Maggie whatshername a big acting upgrade from Katie Holmes. And Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman had some good lines and delivered them well. No terrible performances, except maybe Batman himself?

    But the plot and the bullshit to make it all work omfg. Even when the Joker says he's not a schemer...wtf? He's the biggest fucking schemer in the movie!

  • Infinity Blade (Unreal Engine on iPhone)

    • Izuno
    • November 9, 2010 at 6:06 PM

    If price is max $10 and it controls well, I'm in. And it has to be paced well. I don't want intense nonstop action in a 3D game on my iPhone without incredible controls...like the equivalent of real dual sticks like on a 360 or PS3 controller.

    Better yet, if they release a free demo with like 1 battle and 5 minutes of exploration that proves the controls are fine, I'm totally in for the full version........assuming max $10.

  • Call of Duty 7: Black Ops

    • Izuno
    • November 8, 2010 at 4:03 AM
    Quote from Duff-e

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    I want to live in a universe where this really happened.

    That is pure awesome.

  • Now playing 2010

    • Izuno
    • November 7, 2010 at 5:19 PM

    I got hooked up with a copy of Goldeneye007 on Wii. I didn't play much of the N64 version back in the day...I just never had an N64 cause my PC was where I did all my gaming back then. Until I get my hands on the Donkey Kong Country Returns for Wii Returns Wii on the Wii that Returns game, this was an excuse to blow the dust off my Wii.

    The AI is 1990s crap. Graphics compared to any decent 360/PS3/PC game is crap. Even the Wii controls are somewhat crap. So much about it is crap. But it is oddly satisfying, and the voice acting is pretty good...the presentation (aside from ingame Wii graphics) is fine. It has this retro gaming + Bond feel...with Daniel Craig who is my favorite Bond actor (better Sean Connery even )

    So +1 for the Wii I guess.

  • Call of Duty 7: Black Ops

    • Izuno
    • November 5, 2010 at 4:23 PM

    More:

    http://%7boption%7d

  • Call of Duty 7: Black Ops

    • Izuno
    • November 4, 2010 at 7:28 PM

    I'm actually glad to hear the campaign will be longer. I just hope the fun factor is high but I'm hoping this increases greatly over Treyarch's last (World at War). I also like the new 30s TV spot here in the US...can't remember the name of the song they used...

  • New XBL interface Nov 1

    • Izuno
    • November 2, 2010 at 4:43 PM

    Yeah I apologize if I over reacted at first...but I was logged in and the games marketplace was gone so I was annoyed...then I remembered "Oh yeah it's a Microsoft product. When in doubt reboot and pray." Anyway, the interface is structured mostly the same so I'm actually not that upset anymore. Is it my imagination or is it slightly less laggy now? Still, better than the original blades as Thrik said. I'm sort of stuck on playing Borderlands right now on my Xbox...maybe I'll go back and play some RDR on the PS3!

  • New XBL interface Nov 1

    • Izuno
    • November 2, 2010 at 5:34 AM

    Tonight I loaded up my Xbox and of course Microsoft had a system update for me. This has been the biggest clusterf*ck of an update. The XBL interface is totally Wii-ified. It's all casual and Kinecty now. I can't even find the marketplace. I liked my old interface. zomg.

    Here's a link...i'm sure there are better ones out there.

    http://%7boption%7d

    Discuss.

    Update:

    OK games marketplace etc. is back now. I just had to do an additional restart and it all came back.

  • fuck yeah ken you tell em !

    • Izuno
    • October 28, 2010 at 6:54 PM

    PC gaming 4ever.

  • Pirates of New Horizons

    • Izuno
    • October 28, 2010 at 5:58 AM

    I gave it a go though I did not have enough time to play everything...though I did want to. For years i've been wanting a good pirate adventure game, and this isn't exactly what I had in mind but the vibe is feeling right. The parts of WoW (Booty Bay esp) that have pirate elements are some of my favorites. Disney's PotC games (based on the movies) have been huge missed opportunities for me since they basically sucked terribly. I know Sid Meier has his Pirates game, but yarr I'm not into those. I just want an action/adventure game in a pirate setting, not strategy game. This is sci/fi/fantasy type pirates, but somehow it feels like it will go in a good direction...almost a Nintendo-y direction.

    Taylor's feedback (and others) above is pretty spot on as far as I can tell. Overall I'm really liking the idea, and I know you'll get all those bugs/issues worked on so I'm not worried.

    I've been thinking about the business model, and since this appears to be not an MMO type or persistent world etc. game the F2P model probably won't work, so you're left with (1) Steam (2) XBLA / PSN ...and that's about it. If the iPad had workable controls for something like this then sure...but that's probably not going to work.

    As for getting funding, you are MUCH MUCH further along than many projects I've seen that have received funding, but that's a bigger discussion. Ultimately, the question is how much work is needed to make this a full scale, marketable product and how much money will be required.

    Anyway, big thumbs up so far!

  • GDC 2011

    • Izuno
    • October 26, 2010 at 5:32 PM

    Someone should pay to put you on an indy iPhone dev panel.

  • GDC 2011

    • Izuno
    • October 25, 2010 at 6:37 AM

    Yeah I'll be there again.

  • Medal of Honor

    • Izuno
    • October 23, 2010 at 6:44 AM

    I realize my last post will essentially get a tl;dr in response, but I decided to play the SP all the way through. It's pretty short and yep, buggy. And at many points it takes control away from the player via in-game first person cutscenes in moments where I felt like I wanted more control. Or it uses diminished control as a gameplay mechanic. A lot of other games do that, too, and in MoH it definitely frustrated me. So for those "less than 85%" etc. review scores I get it.

    But you know, overall I actually enjoyed it despite everything above. I guess it grew on me.

  • Valve creates micro-transaction steam support

    • Izuno
    • October 23, 2010 at 12:19 AM

    Back in my day in the mod scene, the amount we got paid for a community made map that went into the retail product was less than a week's worth of salary for a full time in house level designer...and by garr that's the way we liked it. Wait...no we didn't.

    I guess that's just how it worked back then. Today, if I made a community map that took a year from start to finish that got absorbed into a commercial product that made Valve money, I'd sure as hell would want more than a couple grand for it. I suppose there are a lot of details Valve needs to fathom out.

  • Medal of Honor

    • Izuno
    • October 20, 2010 at 6:04 PM

    I guess I'm with Mazy on this one. I'm only a couple hours into the SP campaign, and it's decently competent as I like the voice acting and some other little details, but overall I have also found it to be buggy, graphically a bit less pretty but I can forgive that, and also it's a bit confusing of where to go.

    Let me expand on the last point. In the history of shooters, part of the fun is not just shooting things but the actual navigation of a 3D space to figure out where to go and how to progress. This is inherent in every shooter and linear action game. A single player war game like MoH or CoD shouldn't be full of jumping and physics puzzles the way Half Life2 is, but the sense of exploration, even if fairly linear in design, is generally a good thing and in shooters it just comes with the territory. Games like Half Life 2 and MW2 are both essentially linear experiences, and they both work very well in the sense of exploration but in different ways.

    The issue with Medal of Honor is not that it's linear, it's that it's not always clear where to go to the point of it getting very frustrating...partly due to the bugs. This helps to ruin the sense of exploration and detracts from the sense of immersion. Getting a little confused from time to time isn't a big deal and I wouldn't fault MoH for that. The fault lies in little moments where a squadmate magically pops under a doorway ahead of you and disappears...and somehow that door is supposed to open to let you progress...but you're running around the level thinking "okayyyyyy....my other squadmates are just crouching, waiting for me to do something and telling me to get moving...okayyyyy...now what?"

    Another point early in the game we cleared out a hangar, and my squadmate and I were on some elevated platform/room inside the hangar and Mother or Preacher or whomever said "All clear" or something and kept telling me to move on. He was blocking the doorway ahead and there was no way I could get past him. I kept pushing up against him in his crouch just to see if the AI was smart enough to figure it out but it wasn't. So I had to backtrack a little and go downstairs to another opening that I hadn't known was their at first simply because I just rain up the stairs guns blazing which was pretty cool at the time. This is a minor nitpick, but I ran into stuff like this frequently.

    Again it doesn't make the game an epic fail for me, just a bummer. I can forgive slightly dated graphics or "brown" art direction (it's Afghanistan...aren't we going to see a lot of brown and grittiness?) but the AI really got on my nerves.

    And then there is the shooting gallery issue of the enemies. Coming of beating the Halo Reach campaign, I got used to the AI being generally very good and not just a shooting gallery. Halo games are known for that. With MoH even on normal difficulty I expected a bit less of the shooting gallery. It's still satisfying and it's not the worst AI in a modern shooter ever, but it just felt so unrealistic.

    Again (again) this isn't killing MoH for me, as I really want to like the game and the Afghanistan setting is interesting to me even with whatever controversy came with it in the press. I know it's just a game and bugs and all, when I play it my thoughts go to "the real soldiers in Afghanistan must have a very tough, tough job and I would never want to go to war." I don't even know how authentic it is 'cause I am no soldier but it does at least leave me with a sense of respect for the real operators over there.

    But as a game... :neutral:

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™