1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Izuno

Posts by Izuno

  • PSN down

    • Izuno
    • April 25, 2011 at 11:09 PM

    As many of you know PSN has been down for days now.

    http://%7boption%7d

    Just when I was finally going to race my M3 online in GT5 against my cousin's CivicSi. (yes I know M3 vs. Civic == not fair but ) Anyway, just curious if anyone else is a little concerned about what the deal is.

  • Happy Birthday, Skynet!

    • Izuno
    • April 20, 2011 at 7:20 AM

    According to the history of the Terminator films...er at least the Sarah Connor files TV show , on April 19, 2011 Skynet becomes self aware. It's in here somewhere.

    Why am i posting this? Cause recoding a website in PHP is driving me and I can only bang my head against the wall so many times!!!!

  • Minecraft

    • Izuno
    • April 13, 2011 at 7:24 PM

    There is so much potential with this thing. Obviously the current survival mode is most "game" of this...game...since it has inherent tension in it due to the day/night cycle combined with monsters and then of course the discovery element of the procedurally generated worlds. I know Notch has a planned Adventure mode which isn't supposed to allow for world modification...which in itself I think is a good additional mode to have...but I'd also like to see some kind of other mode using procedurally generated worlds that is exactly like survival mode except there is a pre-defined story or something. In other words, I think it would be fun to have say...um... a big prebuilt castle with walls of ...obsidian...or something that would require time/effort to gather materials/tools/geniusly-crafted-mechanisms-like-a-catapult-or-something-else-new-whatever to penetrate. Inside you have to do certain objectives like rescue the princess, kill the evil boss, free the slaves or possibly non-cliched video game objectives.

    After playing a lot of the survival mode I think some players get a little sick of exploring and building. Having a meta objective thrown on top of that could be an interesting additional mode and attract a new audience not typically interested in pure sandbox play.

    Just an idea

  • Homefront

    • Izuno
    • April 5, 2011 at 6:24 AM

    Been busy so haven't had time to finish the SP campaign (yeah I know it's really short but still...) and while I will save my overall commentary until then, I had to make note of an actually good line of dialog. Near the end on the game in the

    Quote

    Golden Gate bridge level

    the

    Quote

    "Hopper"

    character says,

    Quote

    "Jacobs! That's like the 5th think you fell off of and lived!"

    It's no genius piece of writing but amid what was otherwise

    Quote

    highly disappointing voice acting and cliched movie one-liner hack writing

    I literally

    Quote

    laughed

    out

    Quote

    loud

    .

    [Real Men of Genius]Here's to you, Mr. Homefront snappy dialog writer![/Real Men of Genius]

  • Hawken

    • Izuno
    • March 31, 2011 at 6:17 PM

    I think one key challenge for mech games in general is perception among gamers that it is too much "work" to play. In other words, in a standard FPS game you run around and shoot, maybe switch weapons and use a few gizmos. If you think about CoD MP, yes it is much deeper than say Q3:Arena but it still feels like "run around and shoot" to the mass market shooter gamer. But for mech game, whether true or not, I think there is this perception with the mech that you don't have the same freedom to run around the way you do in a standard FPS game and on top of that you have to "manage" the systems on board your mech similar to a complex airplane sim. It may have to do simply with how you have a crowded HUD (i.e. the cockpit) and that alone turns some people off.

    Or

    Who gives a shit.

  • Hawken

    • Izuno
    • March 31, 2011 at 6:45 AM

    I've never been too fond of mech combat games, even though they are not really much different from "standard" FPS games. This one though looks promising...which I think I said earlier in this thread? Anyway, I'll definitely give this a chance.

    Anyone else like the sound design? I'm assuming it too needs more work, but so far I'm liking it.

  • What are you playing now?

    • Izuno
    • March 20, 2011 at 11:33 PM

    I'm playing Minecraft now. I'm verrrrrryyyyyy late to that party. But it's amazing. It's incredibly stupid and genius all in one. Kudos to Notch and his crew at Mojang. I finally started mining obsidian. Dare I enter The Nether?

  • Prey

    • Izuno
    • March 17, 2011 at 5:25 AM
    Quote from ReNo

    I hate people like that cameraman in movies. Cloverfield, Paranormal Activity, this... Those fucking twats that won't turn off the damn camera and insist on filming everything while commentating with some smarmy remarks and laughter at their own hilarious camera behaviour."What? What's the big deal? It's fine it's fine! It's just a camera, it's not gonna kill you. Nobody cares, chill out!"

    "Ok I'm turning it off, I'm turning it off! See, it's off..." /keeps filming

    Do those people really exist in life? Well glad he got his torso blown off.

    I could not agree more. For me, it's because those people act stupidly in films and it annoys the crap out of me. I will admit that in Cloverfield it was somehow less annoying as is pretty obvious he doesn't film 100% of everything. Still, he's the most annoying character in the film even though I liked that overall.

    Meanwhile, I rather hated that Prey 2 video. I found the first game kinda meh and have not much interest in the sequel at this point.

  • Homefront

    • Izuno
    • March 16, 2011 at 4:44 AM

    Ok I had a long post detailing my thoughts but I've decided to really hold judgement until I finish the campaign...so I edited my post. I want to be totally fair to this game and not just post my gut reaction to the first 45 minutes of the SP campaign.

    Anyway, in short the game does have problems but I'm willing to give it a chance. More to come...

  • Homefront

    • Izuno
    • March 16, 2011 at 12:05 AM

    It came out today. Someone sent me a copy. I played it for an hour.

  • japan earthquakes aftermath

    • Izuno
    • March 15, 2011 at 7:46 PM

    That one video of the black water coming over the roadway that pulls the fishing boat under the sorta-perpendicular elevated roadway is just crazy. I can't imagine how that must have felt to have been there filming it and wondering if where you were standing was safe.

  • What are you playing now?

    • Izuno
    • March 15, 2011 at 7:37 PM

    Somehow I've been playing racing games lately. WTF how did that happen? Anyway...GT5...yesh. It's like car porn / a caRPG for Top Gear fans (as others here have already mentioned). And then Dirt2. Brilliant. I have a Forza game waiting to be played again...

    I think the catchy W-hotel esque lounge music in the home screen have hooked me into GT5. [Blocked Image: https://migrationtest.mapcore.org/public/style_emoticons/default/mapcore_smilies/emot_shakehead.gif]

    Images

    • metro_wip02.webp
      • 62.09 kB
      • 1,024 × 768
  • Hawken

    • Izuno
    • March 10, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    Quote from Serenius

    The shaky cam in the intro needs to go. Detracts from trying to soak in all the detail of those shots.

    100% agreed.

    Otherwise, I agree it has potential and definitely worth keeping an eye on.

  • Uncharted 3

    • Izuno
    • March 8, 2011 at 11:24 PM
    Quote from Buddy

    Besides Hellen Mirren, i have Statham feeling on the other dude.

    That was my first reaction as well.

  • Uncharted 3

    • Izuno
    • March 8, 2011 at 9:44 PM

    I am totally disappointed at the lack of modern military shooter MP action in that trailer. I don't understand how anyone will want to play this game unless it attempts to be a carbon copy of Call of Battlefield Honor? Further, the lack of FaceVille clicking is also just deplorable. And that trailer did not require me to wear 3D glasses nor use motion controls...nor does it require me to grind to level 85. WTF? What is this crap?

    ...for serious I can't wait for this game, legitimate nitpicks and all. Uncharted is my favorite action franchise of the past few years for sure.

  • Battlefield 3

    • Izuno
    • March 2, 2011 at 5:26 PM

    I would also like to point out that when promoting the SP component of your upcoming "big time" SP/MP shooter sequel, you should show gameplay...imho. But not just 1 second or half second "money shots" cut together in a sizzle real designed to amp up hype but actual bits of uninterrupted gameplay. In the clip posted above the cuts lasted 5 to 10 seconds (or wait...I didn't time them) but the point is that it was not a hyped up sizzle real showing 1/2 second cuts set to rockin' out music or other marketing exec inspired bullshit. I liked that because it shows you a "day in the life" of the game so to speak so you can really look at the art, the animation, the level design and get a sense of the gameplay (if any) and make your own decisions. I feel this gives a much better sense of what a game will be like.

    I know many people here already get this idea but FFS I wish more marketing suits did. Anyway, like what you see of BF3 or not, at least they are showing us the game and not just renders or sizzle reels.

    ...if you recall for MW2 at E3 2009 they showed a guy playing 5 or 10 minutes of uninterrupted gameplay on one of the snow levels. Say what you will of CoD but from a gamer perspective I greatly appreciated just seeing pure gameplay and not pure bullshit.

    Ok...need coffee...

  • GDC 2011

    • Izuno
    • March 1, 2011 at 9:05 PM

    As of now I'm still planning on going up but only for Thursday as my daughter has had a high fever since Sunday and my wife and I are taking turns watching her all week...so i might not even make it up all this year but we'll see.

    If I do make it up, I will be moderating a GDC panel on European payment processing for F2P/Online games as part of the Live Gamer / Moneybookers event. On the surface that is totally a zzz topic but I have learned that Europe is an even more complex market than most US publishers realize (gee, really?), many of whom apparently are struggling to monetize their online etc games. Anyway, not exactly HL2:EP3 unveil press conference caliber stuff...but whatever...

    link to session: http://%7boption%7d

    Otherwise, toddler + 104 (F) fever =

  • Dead Island

    • Izuno
    • February 18, 2011 at 11:44 PM

    Well said, Thrik.

  • Dead Island

    • Izuno
    • February 17, 2011 at 5:38 PM

    This all leaves us with the fundamental question of what the actual game will be like. While the trailer may get a lot of praise (deservedly so) it really was just an attention grabber and buzz builder. If at some point we see actual gameplay that communicates how awesome it is to play and how it indeed translates that emotion, we'll probably (in retrospect) have even higher praise for the trailer.

    So proof --> pudding --> etc.

    :ticktock-waiting-for-more:

    Quote from Sentura

    hmm i seem to be in disagreement, i better conceal my opinion!

    Seriously if you hated it or whatever ain't nothin' wrong with that. I'd love to hear some other opinions as to what didn't work for people about it. Why? 'cause that trailer probably wasn't cheap and if you're spending a lot of money to make a trailer it's a good idea to know what kinds of things work and don't work. And that's how we learnded!

  • Dead Island

    • Izuno
    • February 16, 2011 at 9:20 PM

    Great announcement. Quickly getting buzz. I do agree some of the cutting back and forth caused initial confusion but whatever I get it.

    Quote

    They all become zombies. Very sad, especially since the little girl becomes a zombie and attacks her father...and her mother obviously gets attacked/killed/zombiefied/whatever.

    Anyway, it sets a certain tone due to the music, editing and slowmo. I wonder if they intend the game itself to be of the same tone.

    Zombie games recently have ranged in tone from slapstick (Dead Rising) to slightly more "touching" (Dead Rising 2 because of the daughter element but it's still basically slapstick) to whatever tone Left4Dead games are (kickass-survivalism? is that a tone? it's got some attempted funnies too...) and then to a simple "horror" tone in Resident Evil games.

    And I am no expert on zombie films, but I feel like most are either comic (Zombieland) or serious/horror (um...do Resident Evil movies count?)

    The Dead Island trailer's tone feels tragic, which is kind of a fresh take. As for the game, can it actually pull that off? Or more realistically will it even attempt a tragic tone in the game? Is that even possible? Would we want a tragic tone for the game? It would be something different...sorta. Heavy Rain definitely conveyed bits of a tragic tone, especially the opening.

    Now if you think the tone of that trailer is not tragic and instead was pure comedy or pure something else, please explain why since I honestly am curious about other perspectives on this.

    Otherwise, I suppose it was an attempt to parody the opening of the TV series Lost which I guess would classify the trailer's tone as...tragic parody? wtf?

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™