1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Izuno

Posts by Izuno

  • The Bourne Legacy

    • Izuno
    • February 9, 2012 at 7:47 PM

    Thrik, I'm no audio engineer but the best way I can describe it is some kind of mix of a synthesized horn or brass instrument washed out (ie, dominated by) a grinding type of static. MW3 and BF3 both used variations on this kind of tone, as did Inception as mentioned above. My "horn or brass instrument" inclusion could be totally off, but I get the trend Minos and Mazy are talking about.

    Otherwise, yeah Mazy I would add a W in it so it would be "BWHHHAAAA" or something.

    Might want to listen to other recent Hans Zimmer work...such as the Christopher Nolan Batman movie soundtracks. They get some industrial type sounds in there, as well, and since he did the Inception soundtrack (wait, didn't he?) it's just starting to paint a broader picture of the trend.

  • The Bourne Legacy

    • Izuno
    • February 9, 2012 at 5:51 PM

    .............................................ok i'm in.

  • dear zynga

    • Izuno
    • February 7, 2012 at 5:47 PM

    Related news...

    http://www.edge-online.com/news/apple-p ... -app-store

    Quote

    Apple has removed a host of cloned games from the iOS App Store, all of which are apparently the work of a single developer.The games, developed by Anton Sinelnkov, had instantly familiar names, including Plant Vs Zombie, Angry Ninja Birds, and Temple Jump. In a tweet, iOS developer David Smith noted that last week Sinelnikov had 68 apps on the store; at the time of writing, that has fallen to nine.

    Speaking to Gamasutra, Natalia Luckyanova, co-founder of Temple Run developer Imangi, said: "We're really happy with how quickly Apple responded to the situation and removed [Temple Jump]. The app was clearly a scam that traded entirely on the popularity of Temple Run and was packaged to confuse users.

    "This was really upsetting to us and damaging to our brand, because we work really hard to put out very high-quality polished games and win the love of our fans, and we don't want them to think that we would put out crap to steal a dollar from them."

    It's welcome news after a spate of App Store clones, such as Zynga's Tiny Tower-inspired Dream Heights and 6waves Lolapps' Triple Town clone Yeti Town, which has compelled Spry Fox to commence legal proceedings.

    Yet Sinelnkov is a special case, making no effort to hide the fact that his games were designed to be confused with more established App Store properties. Luckyanova went on to say that Apple could not reasonably be expected to completely purge its download store of clones.

    "I don't think there's a perfect solution, because you need human judgement involved in the system," she said. "The platform holder can't realistically police copyright violations, or just misleading apps. As developers, we sign an agreement saying that we have obtained all the IP permissions necessary for our work, so that responsibility is on the developer.

    "I guess I don't have a perfect solution, because I wouldn't want reviews to be even more strictly policed. The good thing is that most stores have a way to appeal the process if something does slip through the cracks."

    Display More
  • THQ going down the pan

    • Izuno
    • February 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM

    Yep, got my eyes on this closely. THQ is a survivor so we'll see how many lives it has left. Axing the kids stuff was long overdue. Still, the best path to survival is [shocking]make better games that people want to buy![/shocking]

    Think of Homefront. Metacritic is not the end-all-be-all but imagine that game if the consensus of was 85% instead of 70%. Realistically, more of us probably would have liked it. (OMG really?) While I had serious issues with the game, it grew on me, making me wish they had done a better job but more importantly, it made me want a better sequel. Maybe non-American's couldn't care less about the setting, but the US is still a big games market to sell into and UK gamers tend not to mind as much about US centric games as compared to other places. A Homefront 2 release that fixes the issues and is, well, better overall, would get me to buy it day 1. Can THQ deliver on that and WWE, UFC, Saints Row, new IP etc.? Lot's of challenges ahead for them to survive.

  • dear zynga

    • Izuno
    • February 1, 2012 at 4:41 AM

    But wait, there's more!

    http://www.industrygamers.com/news/zyng ... nnovation/

  • The Hunger Games

    • Izuno
    • January 30, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    Quote from madgernader

    Sounds like battle royale (also a book)

    Yes! Thank you. I heard about something like that but forgot what it was called. See, everything is derivative now!

  • dear zynga

    • Izuno
    • January 30, 2012 at 6:46 PM

    Everything now is derivative. We get it.

    Still, what Zynga does just feels sooooo shitty.

  • The Hunger Games

    • Izuno
    • January 30, 2012 at 6:18 PM

    Huh...if I were posting about They Hunger, one of my favorite SP HL mods ever, I would have posted about it in Game Discussion. Sorry if you felt misled.

    Regarding The Hunger Games, I am now reading book 2 of the trilogy ("Catching Fire") and am loving it. The fist book (uh, "The Hunger Games") is going to be a movie coming out in March and I'm predicting an epic box office tally. And that's whether it's great or is just so-so given how much buzz I'm sensing (obviously not on Mapcore).

    I keep coming back to the concept of 24 teenagers forcibly put into a deathmatch by a sadistic authoritarian government. Very Orwellian. Not entirely original i'm told but just so well written and blunt.

  • The Hunger Games

    • Izuno
    • January 28, 2012 at 6:46 AM

    Ok...before you pull up your flamethrowers hear me out. My wife read this book "The Hunger Games" and said it was the best novel she's read in years and that I would love it. I've mainly only been hearing about it from women so I thought it was a chick book like the Twilight books which I never read and was totally bored by the movies when we rented one.

    HOLY FUCKING SHIT I WAS WRONG. The Hunger Games is nothing like crappy Twilight.

    Yes, the main character is a teenage girl but the raw brutality in this book and direct, unpretentious writing style is amazing. It's almost like reading Michael Creighton (may he r.i.p....my favorite author of all time).

    Anyway...The Hunger Games has a romance angle in it but it's soooooooo much more about the pseudo post apocolyptic and very sadistic society that puts 24 teenagers into a giant arena in a battle to the death. The survivalist element reminds me of STALKER in a way (just no mutants and exclusion zones and shit). I have never been this unexpectedly floored by a book I just assumed was another trash chick novel. It's nothing at all like that.

    [Blocked Image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/Hunger_games.jpg]

  • dear zynga

    • Izuno
    • January 27, 2012 at 5:35 PM

    Sorry but I find this issue very interesting.

    Quick update (and on topic, too!):

    http://www.industrygamers.com/news/copy ... -it-legal/

    tl;dr version: what Zynga did is legal. Unsavory, but legal. Perhaps Nimblebit's 3 man crew's best recourse is based on the following assumptions:

    1) They appear to be more creative than Zynga's 2,789 (or however many) people are allowed to be

    2) They also appear to be much, much more, ahem, nimble

    3) They have vastly smaller overhead than Zynga

    4) This (https://s3.amazonaws.com/nbpromo/dearzynga.jpg) was brilliant at creating more awareness of Tiny Tower. Not everyone appreciates its sardonic nature, but it helps put Nimblebit on more people's radar and screams "David vs. Goliath"...and most people will root for the underdog, especially given Zynga's reputation.

    So...Nimblebit: just keep doing what you do best as I'm sure you've already concluded.

  • dear zynga

    • Izuno
    • January 26, 2012 at 5:49 PM

    Well....

    One way to think about Zynga's game, given the assumption it is the exact same gameplay just with different art direction, is what does it cost to play? If I want to get a certain amount of enjoyment out of it in a certain amount of time, how much would I have to spend? Then ask the same for Tiny Tower. Then one game might be a better "value" to the group of consumers who are actually willing to spend. Or maybe they are exactly the same? Sure, many people don't spend any money on these games but a small % of users of these types of games do indeed pay, and some pay a lot.

    If someone could show the "value curves" for each game are roughly the same, then the next question might be "Where do you want your money to go? Zynga or Nimblebit?

  • dear zynga

    • Izuno
    • January 25, 2012 at 6:33 PM

    Making news:

    http://www.industrygamers.com/news/tiny ... ver-clone/

    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3983 ... _Tower.php

    http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/24/tiny-t ... like-game/

  • What are you playing now?

    • Izuno
    • January 23, 2012 at 11:21 PM

    Yeah I may be totally in the wrong here about Rage. I have to go back and try it more but after the first real mission that's all I could think about...the looting system and how it wasn't really fun. It's not that looting is supposed to be this awesome experience, it's just when it's not tuned quite right I found it more distracting than I would have expected. Yeah, in Borderlands have to click on every damn piece of loot but it works. Also, from afar in Borderlands you can see where the loot is based on the vertical light beams (like looting in SWTOR...and other RPGs...) which is kind of cartoony but FFS it worked well. And you could just move your character over the area and click away and grab it all so quickly if you wanted to. Just doesn't feel like that in Rage. Not as fun.

  • What are you playing now?

    • Izuno
    • January 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM

    Ok...been playing Rage. Here's my main gripe with it on a console (yes...stop bitching I play PC games too): looting. When you loot a body (or anything) there is a very small tolerance for where you are aimed to loot. In other words, you pretty much have to look right at a body or whatever before you get the prompt allowing you to, well, loot. I find this rather annoying and it slows down the flow. Borderlands, a similar game that had lots of looting, didn't feel this way.

    I should grab screens to illustrate, but I'm so lazy I can't even do that to explain how lazy I am. Yeah, this is a nitpick, but I really found it distracting. I haven't tried it on PC and I assume some/most (?) people here who did play it played it on a PC?

  • Star Wars The Old Republic

    • Izuno
    • January 20, 2012 at 8:39 PM

    Fixed it.

    I run off a fairly new Macbook Pro using Bootcamp. Stop screaming because before the 1.1 patch it ran pretty well. After the 1.1 patch you know the deal.

    The problem was running the game in a window on a secondary screen. Once I rebooted, unplugged the secondary screen it ran again.

    So the launcher seems to have issue with dual screens...which I agree might be a driver issue and the screen problem is the symptom, not the problem itself.

    By the time I started playing WoW in...2007?...I rarely had stability problems so this may just be early jitters for SWTOR which is to be expected I guess.

  • Star Wars The Old Republic

    • Izuno
    • January 20, 2012 at 6:01 AM

    still unplayable. Glad i'm burning up my initial free 30 days not being able to play it.

    http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=162925

  • Resident Evil 6

    • Izuno
    • January 20, 2012 at 12:20 AM
    Quote from PogoP

    Why the fuck are there people with guns to fight against? Resident Evil is NOT about fighting other people with guns... That really pissed me off in RE5.Get rid of the guns, bring back the scares.

    One thing for sure is that Capcom has slowly made the RE series more shooter-like with each iteration since RE3.

  • Resident Evil 6

    • Izuno
    • January 19, 2012 at 11:07 PM

    Hmm...I agree RE4 was a pinnacle of the series...but RE5 wasn't terrible by any means...just a little different I guess. This feels more like what I expect in RE even if the trailer doesn't overwhelm. I think the way some of the Japanese publishers produce/edit trailers don't always do the games justice so I'm willing to see more of this. If the gameplay is solid then the setting looks pretty sweet, even if is "Raccoon City all over again" as is said in the trailer.

  • Skjalg has a bday! ;O

    • Izuno
    • January 19, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    Quote from Rick_D

    i never got a birthday thread ;(

    Yeah mine was a couple weeks ago...whatever there's always next year!

    Happy Birthday Skjalg!

  • Star Wars The Old Republic

    • Izuno
    • January 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

    So the 1.1 patch results in auto crash to desktop after logging in...tried everything to fix it so it's off to tech support. Game was running great before.

    Sigh... good job EA. [Blocked Image: https://migrationtest.mapcore.org/public/style_emoticons/default/mapcore_smilies/emot_shakehead.gif]

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™