1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. DD

Posts by DD

  • Everyone give zaphod reassurance here!

    • DD
    • January 29, 2005 at 6:55 AM

    Zaph doesn't have to worry about work, he's one of the most (if not THEE most) talented mappers I know.

    <3

  • Brothers in Arms theme song

    • DD
    • January 22, 2005 at 5:34 PM

    This gets my bockers all tightened up with joy!

    http://%7boption%7d

  • obj_mq_revolters

    • DD
    • January 14, 2005 at 6:52 AM

    Wow pretty neat, sounds like some crazy entity work to get this working for MP.

  • Mapcore Members

    • DD
    • January 14, 2005 at 4:22 AM

    So far all the people in the game industry I've met are just normal people. I remember the first day at Gearbox, I walked around outside of the office glancing at the big type writer style font on the door every few minutes. I composed myself and thought about what I was going to say or should say. I was extremely intimidated, for the last 3-4 years before that the only people I've ever really met related to this field was online. When I grew some balls and finally went in after only a few minutes all those fears were gone. I was like, "hey Mikeys! I know you guy!" And he was like, "yeah guy, totally no doubt about it guy!" :!: :!: Anyways, most people are normal, sometimes the coders are a little weird but they're like that to everyone... I think.

  • ZAPHOD/MACMAN: Lighting in de_prodigy, reveal your secrats!?

    • DD
    • January 10, 2005 at 10:03 PM
    Quote from kleinluka

    actually no because the shadows for bsp objects are pre-compiled, but maybe zaphod can shed some more light on this

    That's because those are static objects. You can add dynamic lights, that turn off and on, which in turn makes BSP lighting dynamic.

    Also moving NPCs cast shadows, dynamic stencil shadows from one lighting point.

    So actually yes, not as neat as doom 3, but still dynamic.

  • DM Depot_Beta - By Robert Briscoe

    • DD
    • January 7, 2005 at 6:35 AM

    Where did you come from!?!? Looks amazing, how does it perform? The lighting from the windows are A+.

  • EA buys 20% of UbiSoft

    • DD
    • January 5, 2005 at 10:40 PM

    Yay for dreams and fabrications!

  • HL: Nightwatch Chapter 2

    • DD
    • January 5, 2005 at 5:00 PM
    Quote from RD

    entities r easy DD

    Yes they are, and even easier in multiplayer. Singleplayer is a whole different breed. Yes they are easy to setup, but to tweak everything to perfection is not easy.

  • HL: Nightwatch Chapter 2

    • DD
    • January 5, 2005 at 7:09 AM

    Looks amazing. One thing I'd like to see in NW map screens is COMBAT. Have you guys even done anything AI/Gameplay related? Until I came to Gearbox I thought just making maps look good and flow nice was difficult challenge, but fun. I soon learned that's the easy part. Making AI work, look right, and be FUN is the hard part.

  • Doom3 can produce larger environments than Source?

    • DD
    • January 5, 2005 at 7:02 AM

    doom3 doesn't have a terrain feature. Patchmeshes don't count sorry.

    Maybe this is a after the fact hack but it's nothing compared to source until it LODS, has AI moving and in combat over it. With vehicles the player could use.

    Yes you could theoretically add havok to doom 3, but theorys don't mean shit until done. Who knows how long it would take, my guess is 3-6 months for a professional team.

    source: 1 doom 3: 0

  • HL2DM map DM-AVALON by 3D-Mike 8)

    • DD
    • January 4, 2005 at 4:58 PM

    Looks great 3d-mike! As usual You could construct a rock or rocks using displacement maps + same texture on the terrain... might take some work but it would work. Is it a tiling texture? Although this map looks great I don't think Valve is looking for maps like this, I'd imagine they would want to pick maps that look similiar too HL2 or HL1 + graphics update. This is way cool but kind of out there.

  • ZAPHOD/MACMAN: Lighting in de_prodigy, reveal your secrats!?

    • DD
    • January 4, 2005 at 5:29 AM

    It does too. Although fixed lighting point.

  • ZAPHOD/MACMAN: Lighting in de_prodigy, reveal your secrats!?

    • DD
    • January 2, 2005 at 8:03 AM
    Code
    cd "**YOUR STEAM DIRECTORY**\steamapps\[email protected]\sourcesdk\bin"
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    vbsp.exe "**YOUR STEAM DIRECTORY**\steamapps\[email protected]\sourcesdk\cstrike_sample_content\maps\**MAPFILE**"
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    vvis.exe "**YOUR STEAM DIRECTORY**\steamapps\[email protected]\sourcesdk\cstrike_sample_content\maps\**MAPFILE**"
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    vrad.exe -smooth 85 "**YOUR STEAM DIRECTORY**\steamapps\[email protected]\sourcesdk\cstrike_sample_content\maps\**MAPFILE**"
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    pause
    Display More

    Fill in ** **

    smooth 85 increases the smoothing group angle to 85 degrees... since the default is like... 0.000000000892731 degrees of wtf?

  • ZAPHOD/MACMAN: Lighting in de_prodigy, reveal your secrats!?

    • DD
    • January 1, 2005 at 12:42 AM

    Sure... I'll post the file when I get back to Texas. It's pretty simple though, you just CD to your tools directory, type the name of the build programs and then the address of your map.vmf. You could try to figure it out in the mean time but I'll post it later.

  • HL2DM - Scorpius

    • DD
    • December 31, 2004 at 8:40 PM

    Looks damn good! Keep it up, I'd like to see it done.

  • ZAPHOD/MACMAN: Lighting in de_prodigy, reveal your secrats!?

    • DD
    • December 31, 2004 at 8:33 PM

    Doom 3 has real-time light preview... I don't want that. When I said light-preview I meant something more like UnrealEd where you hit a light-compile button (and you can adjust settings) and see the changes. Compiling light in hl2 is so much faster than hl1 thanks to all point based lights adding a features like this would be pretty easy.

    As for you RAM problem with steam, and working with hammer through steam does blow ass, what I do is quit the editor/steam and compile with bat files to make it that much faster.

    Yes they can get away with it, and have, and will but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have been done. Maybe hl2 wouldn't have taken 5 years. D:

  • Vertex errors in new Hammer, help please. Also: func_detail

    • DD
    • December 31, 2004 at 8:24 PM

    This kind of problem does occur in hl1. Creating slopes on curves like that is really problematic. The part on the top of the curve.

    The best you can hope for when creating whole pieces like that is a 45 degree angle. So this is what you can do to fix the problem:

    1. Cut those wedge shapes on the curve into pie like pieces. Then place them next to each other. Might look something like this from top-down view:

    |\|

    This way the top of the slope has 3 verts. 6 total if you count both pieces. When you have 4 verts on a slope like that, and all those verts aren't on the grid even down to 1 unit, when you reload hammer those verts are snapped to the grid at 1 unit.

    When this happens you get a convex (hopefully I got that right.. convex, concave... ? eh?) shape on that plane. If you use pie shapes (triangle on the top), you can insure this will never happen.

    2. Model that shit! BSP sucks for curves unless it's doom3 editor.

    As for the func_details... I don't know. I don't have that problem myself. Splits should occur on itself, any objects grouped with entity, but not onto world geometry.

  • HL2DM - dm_cows Beta Version 1

    • DD
    • December 31, 2004 at 8:08 PM

    I can see the edges of your skybox in one picture! It appears that you created your sky incorrectly. Judging from the picture you created giant bsp walls and placed the actual top/bottom/left/right/front/back textures on each side. If you did this what you need to do is instead:

    1. Place a texture called "sky" on each face that will have those same textures.

    2. For outdoor lighting use a light_enviroment.

    3. In the map properties, set the name of your sky textures. If you look at the textures you used they should have a matching name... skyname_tp, skyname_bt, skyname_lt, etc. Hopefully that makes sense, just type that skyname into the map properties under the obvious key.. I think it's called skyname...

    Also, I don't know of many farm/rural areas with barbwire lined fence. The industrial stuff in the background is kind iffy too.

  • ZAPHOD/MACMAN: Lighting in de_prodigy, reveal your secrats!?

    • DD
    • December 31, 2004 at 7:52 AM

    ooo, dm_lockdown is open source in the SDK? That's a great way to understand how valve employees generally do their lighting. I've been struggling to find a nice settings, and compiling and recompiling is ass.

    Seriously, valve stinks for not putting lighting preview in the editor, WELCOME TO THREE YEARS AGO VALVE. Although lots of new hammer features are awesome.. :\

  • HL2 DM - Freeway to C17

    • DD
    • December 31, 2004 at 2:00 AM

    ShaDoW = Threeboy?

    Anyways, I think it's an excellent first map, okay in general. It's way better than most the custom crap you see on hl2dm servers now. Keep on mapping, you'll find new ideas, better ways of doing things and better looking ways.

    I think all you need for this map is some large center piece for gameplay and visual interest... try a massive maze like pile-up of semis & cars ... a collapsed building or highway... visual interest! The building in the skybox helps but it's not enough.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™