1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. DD

Posts by DD

  • Don't read Scientific American

    • DD
    • November 11, 2005 at 8:34 PM

    I think the original post may have been, more than likely, an april fools joke.

    I was pretty pissed off by the tone of the magazine last time I read it, many of the articles taking an accusatory tone towards scientists for not solving their life problems fast enough, many of the articles debunking scientific arguments by saying they're "better off just having faith." There was an article on creationism and ID, arguing to support it, or that it would not be fair to "scientifically" reject it, while not understanding science I guess.

    Lewdly? I thought I used "lude" incorrectly, but I didn't care to enough to find the correct word. Thanks for being patronizing and pointing it out.

    Anyways, take a look at the magazine next chance you get, if you're smart enough you will understand.

  • Don't read Scientific American

    • DD
    • November 10, 2005 at 7:53 AM
    Quote from ginsengavenger

    huh?

    reads like an april fools to me...

    only seven months late

    Could be accept the reason I looked into it was because how offended I was by the magazine.

  • Dumb Design vs Intelligent design

    • DD
    • November 10, 2005 at 7:34 AM

    I would respond in detail explaining your idiocy but there is not point. I can already tell there is no convincing you.

    Actually I can't resist.

    Quote from Kosmo

    Indipendent view of thinking is good, but when the indipendent view of thinking thwarts the success of a mass, then the indipendent view of thinking is just an act of indipendent stupidity.

    Independent is spelt independent. You might have learned that if you were. You would be suprised how the thoughts of a single person will rule a crowd who is afraid to think independently justifying it as a mass. Nazi Germany. Also if English is not your first language I apologize.

    Quote from Kosmo

    Correction to your obvious gap in knowledge, Soviet Union fell apart because the people who ran the country were all bunch of selfish assholes who didn't act like communists, or even socialists, but prime examples of selfish capitalists with a power of a country behind them, they were like bad CEOs using the company resources for stupid R&D.

    Yes they were selfish assholes, but pretended to be selfless. It's much easier to be selfish if you're morale and honest.

    Quote from DD

    The same shit for 230 years and it surely shows, your goverment is still in the fucking trees, eating bananas and using a stick to dig for ants.

    Yes, because having goverments that fall to the same mistakes that never last is much better.

    Quote from Kosmo

    Europeans use the word "we" because WE search for common good, and not I to search for personal gain and wealth, which seems to be the biggest problem in the states, even in personal level. Remember "I" does not share but "we" gives.

    Remember that "common good" is very personal. It common to all want power and wealth, but I want it, by trying to share it forcefully you get a communist government. I don't want to share my wealth with shitty unmotivated people. What reasoning is it that demands I share my wealth with people who don't have it? I work hard for the money. It is mine and mine to claim, and fuck all who dare try to claim it.

  • Don't read Scientific American

    • DD
    • November 10, 2005 at 7:31 AM

    I sent this e-mail to the editors.

    Quote

    One of the earliest lessons taught in schools in the pursuit of science, and widely agreed upon, is the scientific method.http://school.discovery.com/sciencefair ... ethod.html

    This method of thinking includes reasoning, facts, backed by testing and scientific conclusions. One simply can’t be a scientist without using the scientific method.

    I haven’t read Scientific American in years, but recently decided to buy a copy while at an airport. I remembered loving to read magazines like Scientific American and Popular Mechanics. Anyways, I decided on Scientific American.

    I chose poorly. I don’t know what happened to the magazine but what a horrid display of writers and misuse of the term “science.” Many of the articles had poorly justified reasoning by using words such as “faith” and “hope!” I’m not against religion, but I am against idiocy and bad logic.

    You and your staff should be ashamed for your painfully disgusting and dishonest magazine. I hope you and your team have trouble sleeping at night for the amount of years you have set back the field of science and hard working scientists. Why not do yourself a favor and push to get the magazine renamed.

    This will help to improves sales because your primary customer will no longer be innocent one time readers like me, but rather long term customers, like religious minded thinkers who can painfully justify arguments with false logic. How about unintelligent design magazine? Plus this will attract the right kind of readers, rather than people like me who will only speak poorly about it.

    Display More
  • Don't read Scientific American

    • DD
    • November 10, 2005 at 7:20 AM
    Quote

    There's no easy way to admit this. For years, helpful letter writers told us to stick to science. They pointed out that science and politics don't mix. They said we should be more balanced in our presentation of such issues as creationism, missile defense and global warming. We resisted their advice and pretended not to be stung by the accusations that the magazine should be renamed Unscientific American, or Scientific Unamerican, or even Unscientific Unamerican. But spring is in the air, and all of nature is turning over a new leaf, so there's no better time to say: you were right, and we were wrong.In retrospect, this magazine's coverage of so-called evolution has been hideously one-sided. For decades, we published articles in every issue that endorsed the ideas of Charles Darwin and his cronies. True, the theory of common descent through natural selection has been called the unifying concept for all of biology and one of the greatest scientific ideas of all time, but that was no excuse to be fanatics about it. Where were the answering articles presenting the powerful case for scientific creationism? Why were we so unwilling to suggest that dinosaurs lived 6,000 years ago or that a cataclysmic flood carved the Grand Canyon? Blame the scientists. They dazzled us with their fancy fossils, their radiocarbon dating and their tens of thousands of peer-reviewed journal articles. As editors, we had no business being persuaded by mountains of evidence.

    From SA Website

    The fact that they call the magazine "scientific" is a lude misrepresentation. Doh to the freedom of press.

    Popular Mechanics FTW.

  • Dumb Design vs Intelligent design

    • DD
    • November 10, 2005 at 7:05 AM
    Quote from Kosmo

    Don' you people go to sunday schools there in america, get your crackpot wacky theories from there and leave the education system as it is.

    Please don't refer to me and Americans like me as "you people." I don't like to associate myself with dumbasses or dumbasses who like to associate me with them.

    Quote from Kosmo

    The worst point in some of the politics played in US is that they fuck care what 90% of the rest of western world is doing, we are bringing European schooling methods and systems to Africa and Europe has largely standardised education system, if you go from country to country the schools teach almost the same things.

    I'm thankful that most Americans have an independent view of thinking. That's what makes democracy work, or what little we have of it left.

    Quote from Kosmo

    I have several times compared European Union to Soviet Union, they make alot of crazy rules and to somepoint are looking for their own interest, but they bring alot of good things.

    The soviet union justified it reasoning with the communist way of thinking, that is, forcefully distribute wealth for the good of the people. Not realizing this is a completely flawed way of thinking the union fell apart.

    The difference between a selfish American is that is it open and honest. A communist is dishonest and hides it by using the word "people" or "we."

    Quote from Kosmo

    The States should be governed under the goverment of USA like European countries under EU, if Kansas wants to be different, then kick them from the union and let them try to survive like a fish on the dry land, kinda like what we are doing to Turkey right now.

    No it should not. You may not understand this but a key point to the long standing structure of the USA is the "balance of power." This is done by dividing the goverment into different branches, executive (presidential), legislative (congress), and judiciary (jury). As well as the seperation of state power versus national power. This helps to balance voting so states like California/Texas don't run the entire country.

    We could rework the system to just kick Kansas, but that would be stupid. That's why the United States goverment has been primarily the same for almost 230 years now. While government structures in Europe continue to rise and fall.

    Quote from Kosmo

    We ain't going to take them in to the Union because we know they have humanrights problems and the lack of religious freedom. They don't play by our rules they don't reap the benefits of the Union.

    We ain't no fool, but we thinks you're dumb. It sucks that you, like most Europeans, are still stuck using words like "we" when most Americans like me can freely use the word I and feel no shame. I don't doubt it was unjustified excluding Turkey from the EU, but some how, I don't know, I'm just throwing this out there, I believe it's from ignoring rules and standards agreed upon ahead of time. In the case of Kansas, they did not violate any US government rules, but if we want to, we can still overturn the states decision by revising ammendents of the constitution which clarifys rules behind mixing church and state.

  • Dumb Design vs Intelligent design

    • DD
    • November 10, 2005 at 6:17 AM
    Quote from Fletch

    The problem is Kansas politics is dominated by one very small group with a very loud voice: far-right social conservatives.

    This is a problem over-whelming America. At one time America stood for freedom, liberation, but the way things are going we keep getting farther and farther from that due to hypocritical conservative groups using those same ideas to do just the opposite.

    These groups of hardcore assholes are able to stick together and lobby control in politics, while very few intelligent, sane people do the same.

    Imagine the conversation that took place in the mind of the intelligent design theorist.

    Quote

    Theorist: Okay, so seriously, scientist guy, like every creature as it is today was invented by God. The Bible says so.Scientist: No, proven facts and reasoning show that all life evolved from simple life forms. Also you can't use the bible to prove the bible, that's bad logic.

    Theorist: Oh yeah right... eh... but seriously. How about this... okay maybe I can sell you on only half stupid? That sound okay... does half stupid sound good?

    Now watch, this is the point in the conversation where the responses of the scientist are filled in by the simple mind of the theorist:

    Quote

    Scientist: Well eh... maybe.Theorist: How about this, say every simple life form was invented by God, then evolved from there?

    Scientist: Okay so you want to piss off scientists by teaching children unscientific reasoning, you want to piss of religious people for only taking part of their theories and rejecting the rest, and if this theory is eventually taught in schools you will piss of politicians by mixing church and state.

    Theorist: Yeah... like for serious.

    Scientist: Well okay, I'm okay with half stupid!

  • Hello from Nippon!

    • DD
    • October 6, 2005 at 6:25 AM

    Im in Japan right now, at a internet cafe, here you can watch dvds, free drinks, magazines, some food, and funky keyboards.

    Washer and dryer are one machine!

    Toilets are electronic!

    Let me know if this translates:

    あく絵  絵  有為

  • ok help with street prop model

    • DD
    • September 14, 2005 at 4:07 PM

    This is the skybox correct?

    If everything is scaled down you can still use regular light entities.

    Just change the quadratic value to something much higher.

  • the revolution controller

    • DD
    • September 14, 2005 at 4:05 PM
    Quote from Mazy

    its gonna be some gyroscope thingy me thinks

    I agree. Something similiar to wario ware only 2 axis instead of just 1.

  • Your Top5 game developers

    • DD
    • September 14, 2005 at 3:07 AM

    1. Nintendo

    2. Sony Computer Entertainment America

    3. Valve

    4. Dice

    5. Capcom

    Would have included Blizzard, but the talent and genius that went into creating Starcraft, Diablo, Warcraft, and WOW has primarily left.

    Oh and keep a watchful eye on Turtle Rock!

  • California Violent Game Bill Passes

    • DD
    • September 11, 2005 at 10:26 AM

    http://%7boption%7d

    I don't know who the asshat is who locked my thread, but same post.

  • Character modeling with edit poly?

    • DD
    • September 10, 2005 at 8:22 AM

    I use both.

  • D: !!!!! OHNOS M RATED! ESRB! RED TAPE! AHNOLD!@!!1

    • DD
    • September 10, 2005 at 8:18 AM

    http://%7boption%7d

    In case you're unintelligent and can't tell, I'm joking, but this does suck.

  • What happend to.........

    • DD
    • September 5, 2005 at 4:02 PM

    If you look at a lot of the earlier screenshots of BF2 it appears to look much better than the released game. I think what happened was Dice was expecting to release an awesome game about a year from now, however EA being their publisher quickly shut that down, made the game crappier so it can run on more current machines and so they can ship it as soon as possible.

  • POST NUMBER 2000!!!

    • DD
    • September 4, 2005 at 4:08 AM

    mazzol is my hero, I will now sacrifice a child to your achievment.

  • de_corse

    • DD
    • August 24, 2005 at 6:51 AM

    These screenshots make me want to redo a BiA level I made only not for XBOX so I can have real texture memory to work with and abundant details. Nice ambience and feel, really looks like an old church.

  • Why do texture artists always get shafted?

    • DD
    • August 24, 2005 at 6:48 AM

    The reason exclusive "texture artists" get shafted is because the people who get hired as "artists" for doing textures usually can also, UV map complex shapes, skin humans, animals, weapons, misc. objects, and understand more than just making good looking textures, and usually have a brief knowledge in 3d modeling and mapping so they can better understand how to make textures that are put to good use, easily, and look well together.

  • Older photoshop digital stuff (2000-2003)

    • DD
    • August 17, 2005 at 6:53 AM

    If you still have a similiar style you should try illustrator instead of photoshop

  • de_projects (cs1.6)

    • DD
    • August 16, 2005 at 7:37 AM

    For a map called "projects" it doesn't seem very project like. The soft warm colors makes it look like a nice apartment complex I might want to live in.

    When I think projects I think dark, dirty, grimy, harsh lighting.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™