1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. DD

Posts by DD

  • gold baby.

    • DD
    • July 15, 2004 at 2:45 PM

    I'm hoping I can drive over to Id and get my copy signed Of course I highly doubt it will happen but I'm pushing for that. Oh and then sell it on ebay for $1729381719, not really though.

  • Joined: 06 Oct 2003

    • DD
    • July 12, 2004 at 5:51 AM

    derp to me

  • Edit Mesh or Poly

    • DD
    • July 5, 2004 at 5:57 PM

    I USE BOFTH OF DEM

  • My NS:Combat map

    • DD
    • July 5, 2004 at 6:46 AM

    Wow look, another ns map.... It's looks good though. :\

  • large problem when trying to make my new cool map

    • DD
    • June 30, 2004 at 9:00 AM

    The solution is to not use the hl1 engine.

  • dm_fairytale - a snarkpit contest entry

    • DD
    • June 30, 2004 at 8:57 AM

    Looks awesome. The texture useage looks like open wad file -> hhdeath -> select all wads. Most (98% ish) aren't made by the hhdeath guys, but a few are, and thats more than ok with me. So long as the map look good

  • TS_antrodome ~

    • DD
    • June 26, 2004 at 7:19 AM
    Quote from -Stratesiz-

    As a matter of fact the chairs are models, but they are just extremely plain ones that I only retextured. I don't really like them but I'm not a modeler and they can't be really that complicated since there are six of them and two more sofa models in the background.

    Each one of those chairs are only 36 polies, at most, * 6 = 216 polies. The cost it takes in memory and space is more than the render time. You can afford much higher, talking thousands higher, even for hl, and a crappy machine. Each one of those chairs could be 150-250 without a problem even in multiplayer. So lets say those two sofa's are 800 polies total + 250 * 6 chairs = 2300. Let's assume the average player model is 1200 polies. 1200 * (10 players) = 14300 polies. In reality it would probably end up being much lower because I doubt the player models are that high, and sofas. In any case it would be well within the hl limits. You can also group those six chairs into a single model to save even more on speed, maybe .5 frames faster but still :X

    Quote

    I'm pretty much maxed as far as brush based entities are concerned. A few more them and HL would crash.

    This is when I would start grouping as much as possible! Doesn't look like a big map, you have near 400 brush based entities?

    Quote

    Yes, model lights would be a nice touch but I would like to see the actual source of the light, as in a bright spot in the model. This would require two models with different settings yadayada... and since I can't use more brush based entities it's out of the question. I just hate the HL1 engine and all its lame restrictions.

    Yes model lights would be nice. One thing I do, seen others do, rather than having two models, make the bulb transparent (in the model) and add a env_glow in the center. Looks really good. I've seen transparent glass, with chrome inside which does a really cool fake lighting effect.

    I'm not talking about brush based models, I'm talking about actual models. ie .mdl files. .mdl aren't brush based. They don't count towards the 400 brush based entity limit.

    These are just suggestions, that could take your map from awesome to super awesome.

  • TS_antrodome ~

    • DD
    • June 24, 2004 at 9:59 PM

    Very good~! Not much to say. Try getting models for those chairs and even your lights. The placement of the lights are good but I mean the actual source of the light. Those big chunky square bsp pieces are kinda the ug. One cool thing to do is make the light source a func_wall or illusionary, make it invisible but you can still use rad lighting, then you can place a model there, a good one with transparency on it. Oh also try some random lights upward against the walls, etc.

  • bloodlines developer diary

    • DD
    • June 17, 2004 at 2:28 AM

    Is that actually a pepsi ad? Can't read the first letter. Yay for product placement if $o.

  • BiA non shaky cam video HOT HOT HOT FULL FRONTAL

    • DD
    • June 17, 2004 at 2:26 AM
    Quote from GrayFox

    Looks pretty nice, but there were a few things that annoyed me:When the first fight started, one of the guys STOOD behind a tree through the whole fight. That is something you should never do. Lying is what one should do.

    And later when one of the guys got killed in the middle of the road, the medic (or whatever he was) didn't drag him to shelter before doing a checkup. He totally exposed himself by just sitting there in the open...

    So much for the totally authentic tactics... or were they just stupid during WWII.

    The player ordered his squad across the street without good cover. It was a bad move and his squad members died for it. It's not bad game design, its a bad player. Also nobody said totally authentic, just very

  • Dead Cities is complete.

    • DD
    • June 15, 2004 at 12:43 AM

    Duffy you're wrong. Again. Vietnam is a stand alone title.

  • HELLLLPPP

    • DD
    • June 4, 2004 at 2:41 PM

    I think you mean funk'ay!

  • Operation : CO-IN (Insurgency)

    • DD
    • June 3, 2004 at 4:06 AM

    Those model & skins look good, DarkNemesis sounds familiar. Do you know his first and/or last name?

  • PIT and RD present: FY_SUICIDEBOMBER_B1

    • DD
    • May 28, 2004 at 4:58 AM

    I bet they built a grid of explosion points, so just as you jump you trigger by volume an explosion at that specific point. RD wins.

  • HL2 & CS2 or so the news says..

    • DD
    • May 25, 2004 at 1:44 AM

    I would have 5 years ago too. Quake had one of the best rendering, physics, entity/logic systems, and pretty good AI for its time. Building all that from scratch would have caused HL1 to be 2 or 3 years longer. Oh and HL2 isn't based off quake, but HL1, you could say its based off quake but very little is there, so really no.

  • Belle and Sebastian is good.

    • DD
    • May 19, 2004 at 8:29 PM

    Would be nice if I could find track samples on their website...

  • Official E3 trailer

    • DD
    • May 13, 2004 at 3:37 AM
    Quote from DUFFY

    band of brothers the game?it looks.....ok....but like already said, what can this game offer that the numerous other great WW2 games havent brought to the table? COD, MOH, DOD.....meh....prove me wrong for it will make me happy

    While COD, MOH, and DOD are all fun games, they all fail to be authentic. Call of duty looks great and its fun, but there is no way one man could defeat the entire German army, or at least it appeared so. MOH is a pile of crap with neat sequences. DOD is a cool multiplayer ONLY game which come close to being authentic, but theres obvious cuts and adds to what was and what wasn't real for fun.

    BiA takes a step forward by actually being more authentic, but not at the cost of the fun. Like whats been said on many websites, BiA is a squad game. This doesn't mean you watch your squad sequence through a game, you're in control. You need your squad and your squad needs you! You need to use tactics like fire and movement using our awesome one button squad command system! I've already said enough, if you want to know more, read/watch interviews, previews, etc.

  • Official E3 trailer

    • DD
    • May 12, 2004 at 4:56 AM
    Quote from FrieChamp

    ...which doesn't live from rendered video sequences.

    That's all in-game footage.

  • at least i think its cool

    • DD
    • May 4, 2004 at 2:50 AM

    Zaph you shouldn't be racist towards black folk.

  • New screenies

    • DD
    • April 30, 2004 at 1:29 AM

    I would bash you fken idiots for even thinking in the slightest possible way that the graphics compares to hl1, but... oh wait. I guess normal maps, shaders, 1287391823719 of on screen polies, high detail l.o.d npc's, real time dynamic reflecting water looks like hl1.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™