1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Off-Topic

anyone else having crash problems with HL2 Episode 1?

  • kleinluka
  • June 5, 2006 at 8:45 AM
  • kleinluka
    • June 5, 2006 at 8:45 AM
    • #1

    I'm too scared to look into the other thread cause there might be spoilers so I opened a new one. I'm still in the middle of playing but I experience a lot of crashes where the game just freezes (sound keeps looping etc.) and sometimes it closes and goes to desktop and re-opens steam and displays the latest steam update. Anyone else experience this?

    And yeah, no spoilers in here please

    Thx

  • Section_Ei8ht
    • June 5, 2006 at 9:04 AM
    • #2

    whats yer hardware there, klein?

    I haven't had this problem with anything steam, but I did have it (and still do, occasionally) with doom 3 tech. Quake 4 liked to lock up like you describe, and I would have to ctrl-alt-delete to task manager and wait about 30 seconds for it to respond again, at which point it took about 5 minutes to actually get it to kill the game. A normal reboot would temporarily fix the problem, but the next forceware drivers fixed this problem (doom 3 editor crashed on start up a few days ago, but i think that was a fluke).

    Id say see if it happens on other source tech, and then either try a video card driver update or rollback.

  • skdr
    • June 5, 2006 at 10:22 AM
    • #3

    Yeah must be a driver issues, do you have the latest DirectX and video card drivers?

  • kleinluka
    • June 5, 2006 at 3:07 PM
    • #4

    I'll look into that when I get home. I know that I haven't updated drivers at home in a while so that might hopefully fix it. Thanks!

  • Izuno
    • June 5, 2006 at 5:35 PM
    • #5

    i updated my ATI drivers right before playing it the first time and haven't had too many issues.

    Once in a while Ep1 will freeze on a level transition and I'm forced to do a hard reboot. Otherwise, it seems to run fine.

  • Furyo
    • June 5, 2006 at 5:54 PM
    • #6

    I did update my drivers when Steam invited me to do so. The crashes I did have were always due to Steam recommending settings way too high for my comp (as always), so it kept freezing during loading. Once I downgraded the settings a bit, it was as smooth as can be

  • kleinluka
    • June 5, 2006 at 5:58 PM
    • #7

    it froze like 5 times on me last night...about every 15 minutes... I'll update my drivers later and see if that fixes anything..

  • Skjalg
    • June 6, 2006 at 3:30 AM
    • #8

    Whats your hardware?

    I've experienced this bug with both sin episodes and hl2 ep1. I figured it had to do with me overclocking my Geforce card with EXPERTool!

    I just had to run the "safe" settings, and it worked fine through the rest of the game..

  • curman
    • June 6, 2006 at 3:37 AM
    • #9

    alyx collapses at the end behind a glass window and it ends. btw thats a spoiler

  • Polaris
    • June 6, 2006 at 3:47 AM
    • #10

    I haven't played it yet, but even I know for sure it doesn't end like that :\

    Why do you lie so curman?

  • Fletch
    • June 6, 2006 at 5:17 AM
    • #11
    Quote from Izuno

    i updated my ATI drivers right before playing it the first time and haven't had too many issues.Once in a while Ep1 will freeze on a level transition and I'm forced to do a hard reboot. Otherwise, it seems to run fine.

    Hehe, I updated my ATI drivers about a week ago and then it took me 2 hours to free my computer from the evil which is ATI's interface. I miss the days of non-memory hog software.

  • kleinluka
    • June 6, 2006 at 4:10 PM
    • #12

    I updated the ATI drivers and that fixed it.

  • Izuno
    • June 6, 2006 at 6:12 PM
    • #13
    Quote from Fletch

    Hehe, I updated my ATI drivers about a week ago and then it took me 2 hours to free my computer from the evil which is ATI's interface. I miss the days of non-memory hog software.

    Uh...yeah forgot to mention that. What a pain in the ass, but HL2 ep1 runs great. I thought I had done the "driver only" option, too...

  • cdxx
    • June 7, 2006 at 12:20 AM
    • #14

    i didn't have it crash once when I played it, but now going back with commentary on it's crashing all the time. so far 3 times in the past level. gotta take a break now. it's too annoying

  • Meotwister
    • June 7, 2006 at 5:27 AM
    • #15

    I had a problem like this with Lost Coast and Militia when they were released. I thought it may have been the HDR but my friends not as good computer was handling it fine. . . I think it probably was some driver issue or something because now I can play both Lost Coast and Militia without crashes.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™