1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Off-Topic

Bottleneck

  • GrayFox
  • October 3, 2005 at 9:25 PM
  • GrayFox
    • October 3, 2005 at 9:25 PM
    • #1

    My brother is updating his graphics card to an X850 pro.

    His system:

    P4 2,6Ghz HT

    1 gig ram

    I don't know anything about bottlenecking so my question is: will the relatively slow CPU bottleneck much with such a video card and would an X800 actually be faster in this system than an X850 pro??

    Both cost about the same (about 250€) and he would get the X850 pro a lot sooner.

  • ⌐■_■
    • October 3, 2005 at 10:20 PM
    • #2

    With the upcomming 3d engines I'd say you'd be better of with a faster CPU. Especially if you have a relatively fast graphicscard. Like your brother does.

    I am having a cpu bottleneck with HL2, and I think it's because all the calculating of the physics.

    A roommate of me has a 2,2Ghz processor and a GF 6800 Ultra (sort of, anyhow). He has like 99 FPS on all time, but when something in HL2 explodes and debree is boucing of the walls, the gameplay stutters. And I think it's because of the physicscalculation.

    I think your brother would be making alot more performancegain if he bought a CPU. Plus he'd probably have some money left to take you to the cinema too!

    ~ tomato

  • GrayFox
    • October 3, 2005 at 10:29 PM
    • #3
    Quote from killer tomato

    With the upcomming 3d engines I'd say you'd be better of with a faster CPU. Especially if you have a relatively fast graphicscard. Like your brother does.I am having a cpu bottleneck with HL2, and I think it's because all the calculating of the physics.

    A roommate of me has a 2,2Ghz processor and a GF 6800 Ultra (sort of, anyhow). He has like 99 FPS on all time, but when something in HL2 explodes and debree is boucing of the walls, the gameplay stutters. And I think it's because of the physicscalculation.

    I think your brother would be making alot more performancegain if he bought a CPU. Plus he'd probably have some money left to take you to the cinema too!

    ~ tomato

    The thing is, he had a 9600XT which broke... he only needs/has money for a gfx card.

  • DanielAragon
    • October 4, 2005 at 3:24 AM
    • #4

    go with the x850.

    i mean the cpu isnt bad at all, plus if you upgrade your cpu, you'd have to spend upwards of about 300 dollars US.

    even if u just get the .800, you wont see much of a difference.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™