1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Off-Topic

Free 2 Play

  • Skjalg
  • March 20, 2014 at 7:55 AM
  • Skjalg
    • March 20, 2014 at 7:55 AM
    • #1

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    So what do you guys think of valves movie?


    Personally I'm a little disappointed, but I think maybe I was expecting a better narrative and maybe more drama. Or maybe it was just a tad boring to me because I had already watched the tournament and knew the players and most of their story from before. I'm curious what you guys that don't play dota think about it.

  • Em'
    • March 20, 2014 at 9:24 AM
    • #2

    I'm a huge DotA2 player, however i'm not into that eSport thing... Of course, when i'm playing wih friends who are following ladders, I'm learning a lot about the teams, the players etc !


    The movie was really touching and good looking, and even if i know how eSport is exploding, i feel like i learnt something from this movie. Following the players throught wins and losses was really nice, and it explains all the sacrifice they made to make carreer in eSport, and that 's the title "Free to play', we are never free to do whatever we like : we have to abandon part of us to go forward.


    FEAR leaves his family to train with his team.

    HYHY leaves his school to do The Internationnal.


    And since i'm new to Dota (less than 1 year playing), I didn't knew the story behind TI1, very interesting to follow

  • Taylor
    • March 20, 2014 at 11:57 AM
    • #3

    I thought it was alright. I guess my main issue with F2P is most of the drama is external to the competition itself. The girlfriend, the father and the, err, desk are very important parts of the film (the father part really hit me in the feels), but there is no real relationship, let alone rivalry, between the players we’re following. Instead they have the shared and somewhat-manufactured antagonist of The Chinese, who are presented as some kind of unstoppable DotA2 force with no background on their own tribulations. But hey, it was well told and had all those cool artsy shaky-cam shots. One of the best adverts I have ever seen.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™