1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Creative Chat

Crysis Foliage Normals?

  • Bunglo
  • June 19, 2010 at 4:44 AM
  • Bunglo
    • June 19, 2010 at 4:44 AM
    • #1

    This is mainly for you folks who work at Crytek but anyone in the know is encouraged to reply. I've been examining the normal maps created for the vegetation in Crysis, I was wondering how they went about creating them.

    Did they create a gray scale displacement map in photoshop with a trusty tablet or something completely different? I'm leaning toward the displacement map option but I've yet to try it with my diffuse textures.

    Any tips are appreciated!

  • 2d-chris
    • June 20, 2010 at 2:39 PM
    • #2

    Although the artist who made the c1 trees is not here I asked the guy who does the vegetation for C2

    Ronny says "I created some highpoly objects for each of them, Basically it's rendered in 3dsMax. So all leaves of those trees which you can see on the texture are modeled"

    Hope that helps

  • Bunglo
    • June 20, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    • #3

    You are awesome, Chris! I was actually thinking about creating highpoly leaves and baking them, looks like I'll have to give that a go!

    Tell Ronny I said thanks as well

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™