My simulation of Debate Numero Uno

The Postman

And it's bad preemptive; like a war on a country that's no real threat that causes more turmoil than there was previously.

"We know we can't count on the French. We know we can't count on the Russians," said Mr. Kerry. "We know that Iraq is a danger to the United States, and we reserve the right to take pre-emptive action whenever we feel it's in our national interest." -John Kerry 1997

"Those who doubted whether Iraq or the world would be better off without Saddam Hussein and those who believe today that we are not safer with his capture don't have the judgment to be president or the credibility to be elected president." -John Kerry 12/20/03

"Iraq may not be the war on terror itself, but it is critical to the outcome of the war on terror, and therefore any advance in Iraq is an advance forward in that and I disagree with the Governor [Howard Dean]." -John Kerry, 12/15/03

"I would disagree with John McCain that it’s the actual weapons of mass destruction he may use against us, it’s what he may do in another invasion of Kuwait or in a miscalculation about the Kurds or a miscalculation about Iran or particularly Israel. Those are the things that - that I think present the greatest danger. He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat." -John Kerry, "Face The Nation", 9/15/02

"It would be naive to the point of grave danger not to believe that, left to his own devices, Saddam Hussein will provoke, misjudge, or stumble into a future, more dangerous confrontation with the civilized world....He has supported and harbored terrorist groups, particularly radical Palestinian groups such as Abu Nidal, and he has given money to families of suicide murderers in Israel. ...We should not go to war because these things are in his past, but we should be prepared to go to war because of what they tell us about the future." -John Kerry 10/9/02

"I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq - Saddam Hussein is a renegade and outlaw who turned his back on the tough conditions of his surrender put in place by the United Nations in 1991." -John Kerry, 7/29/02

"George, I said at the time I would have preferred if we had given diplomacy a greater opportunity, but I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." -- John Kerry, Democratic Debate, 5/3/03

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Google Translator:

Edit: I don't care enough to start a quoteathon

to

you got me, im fucked! D:!

Not really because the Iraq comment was MY opinion and not what I said Kerry would do, hence why it comes 2 paragraphs down and is weighted only as a comical jest to Urban being “pre-emptive.” I don't recall Kerry ever saying he would not go to war at all, just that he'd do it differently, as is the quote on the previous page you've incorrectly linked my comment to. If it's me talking like a retard I appoligize but even then, the rest of the post, including the “big deal,” was untouched.

I was going to write at length something about how everyone was brainwashed by the fabricated dossier and how disagreeing with it got you labelled as a terrorist by a guy nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. About how “different” doesn’t mean “opposite” and how Kerry probably would’ve gone through the correct channels opposed to cutting out the most important middle-man on Earth, but my “do not care” comment still stands, even if you have forced me two write two paragraphs. It’s not my country.

Its easy to say what Kerry would've done simply because with well, his voting record he hasn't done anything yet! He would've made our security better, but decides its in his best interest not to go to the meetings. He would've made stronger laws, but well he'd rather just not go to the hill to vote. Its easy to criticize the president, but if elected kerry might just something else he'd rather do.

I noticed that when you campare the actual things said during the debate by both candedates instead of the way they were spoken, bush won. If anything a few of Kerry's statements (the ones actually refering to what he will do) are a bit concerning.

For instance there's his hole bilateral stances against N. Korea and Iran (i.e. Unilateralism) and his desire to send troops to the Sudan. It seems to me that he intends to use the same foriegn policy (Reagan, Clinten) model that triggered the current problems. :(

It seems to me that he intends to use the same foriegn policy (Reagan, Clinten) model that triggered the current problems.

Are you kidding me? If I recall it was Bush and his buddies who started off the 2nd Iraq war, which represents without doubt the major concern of the US right now.

Yeah, but when it gets down to it Kerry is not against the war, he just is against how Bush is running the war, but he also has been participating in a more subtle matter in other international issues, cooperating with other countries instead of playing 'world police', to the nations of the world.

Kerry wants to increase spec. forces send troops to darfore (??) and wants the US to take a singular Unilateral possission on world affairs, with the only exeption bieng Iraq. :-?

It is that kind of politics that fueled the fires for these terrorist groups and aloud them to gain a very large minority support in the Islamic world. Now, we are stuck dealing with it and Bush has if anything pulled back the riegns when it comes to international involvement.

It is just that everybody is paying more attention to what he 'is ' doing instead of what he 'isn't'. Remember, Clinton deployed more troops around the world then any other president in a unilateral stance with the world. This is the kind of shit that causes the various islamic terrorist groups to target US.

things that bothered me in no particular order:

1) Kerry continually insisting the war costs are too high over and over, and giving a 2 minute sob story about how Bush didn't spend ENOUGH on state of the art armor in vests and hum vees.

2) When Bush made a very blatant point about an "all volunteer army" Kerry did NOT respond to that. He actually didn't respond to it at all.

Voter's Brain ---

Bush : I won't be drafted Kerry : I dunno maybe I will...

3) Bush kept calling Kerry a "flip flopper" It's a fairly petty thing to do, he should have stuck to the facts about when and where Kerry did questionable things, instead of just calling him names.

4) NAME DROPPING. HOLY CRAP. Both of them all night were like "well so and so likes me" , "yeah but so and so really support me"

5) Bush taking the Colin Powell shinnanigans from Kerry all night and not doing anything about it. Powell is in his friggin cabinet and Kerry is using him against Bush! That was severly damaging to Bush.

6) At the end of the night they agreed. Kerry pointed out that the way Bush went about invading Iraq, was terrible. He ignored the UN and our allies and just went in without properly thinking. Bush countered with talking about Kerry's spotty voting and quote record, about how he changes his mind alot. Which was slightly irrelevant to me. At the end of the night it was clear that they had very similar plans for how to handle Iraq from here on in. More troops, more support, we'll win this war and go home.

7) Neither gave the Chechnya/Russia conflict any ear. We're talking about how to stop the war on terrorism and here we are in Russia watching our children be killed by terrorists and multiple planes being brought down. The death toll in the THOUSANDS. And neither one would touch it. Gee, would suck to ACTUALLY do the right thing here instead of just try to look like it. Bush already stated that the UN works to slowly to help people, well if your position is FUCK THEM we can help who we want. THEN DO IT.

8) Kerry would not come out and actually say the Iraq war should not have happened, that it was a MISTAKE. He would only go as far as to say that the way in which Bush did it was a mistake, and the speed. He continually acknowledged that Sadam Hussein was a threat. There seem to be a lot of people who support Kerry for peace in the world, and I firmly believe that's not the case. Best case, he's the lesser of two evils (which is a quote not my opinion per say.)

-mike