Fistful of Frags released!

R_Yell

i also partly agree one the reload time with hessi, rifles need less reload time as do single six shooters, but double sixguns seems like a good reload pace. keep in mind that the rifles they used in the wild west actually had semi automatic fire already, since that was a leftover from the civil war.

I agree with that. Especially the bow takes way too long to reload.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I could consider making faster some reload sequences, but never up to 50%. The problem was we weren't sure about weapon efficiency during the internal beta. It isn't the same playing with 7-8 persons than 16 or more. Bow was very effective in those conditions, now seems not fast enough, I understand that.

However the only weapon that seems to be underused is Sharps, this was supposed to be a sharpshooter weapon but cheaper rifles do the same job so Sharps isn't much needed. This will be fixed.

I played it for about an hour today, it was pretty damn fun. Gun speed could be sped up a bit but I don't see it as that big of a problem and I didn't hear anyone complaining about it.

My only gripe is the whole loot thing. Everyone I played with didn't seem to care or know what to do and were to busy killing each other to bother with it. I didn't really grasp it that well myself.

I think a cool way to do it would be more of an attack/defend style or even something like where the bandits have to steal something from point A and take it to point B and have the vigilantes trying to stop them. Bottom line is the main gametype needs some major adjusting or tweeking.

Also you guys should really add more gunsmoke, like tons of it. These were the days before smokeless powder afterall.

Thanks for the feedback Chunks. Yes I agree, you mentioned most of the issues that will be fixed in the first update (which we are about to test). Increasing information is priority, objectives will be highlighted in the player view so we'll ensure everybody knows what to do and where to go. That's the main problem concerning the actual game mode. There also will be another change, the icon over money carriers will be seen even when the carrier is hiding, up to a certain distance. So hunting carriers will be easier, and protecting them will be highly rewarded. There will be other tweaks to remove those low spots in our gameplay. The basic weapons also will be a bit faster.

There also will be another game mode, soon I hope, which will take place in the larger maps. Bounty (temporal name :)) is about asymmetric teams, objectives and weaponry. Much the opposite than the actual game mode.

Extra gun smoke will be added as a client option, other people asked for it :)

Well done R_Yell. I read this post before checking out FoF and it went beyond my expectations. Obviously improvements could be made and it's only a beta but I'd go so far as to say it's spotlight worthy. All the maps are of a high standard though El Paso in particular is beautiful.

I'd have to aggree with many posts that most the character animation sequences should be faster. For example you could retain the same mechanics for the punches but increase the speed of the fist animation. Some reload times seem excessive too.

Another thing I noticed is that I couldn't run and straff at the same time. I was playing with a friend and he couldn't either. Is this deliberate?

I like the fact you can shoot and look around but not move while looting, I think this enhances gameplay.

I also have some CC for El Paso.

The saloon style doors throughout the map are very cumbersome. I'd suggest using an invisable trigger to open the doors when the player is in the vacinity without having to physically push them.

I also found the lighting in the Desperado spawn point made it difficult to know where to exit the spawn point at first. One round when I was on the Vigilantes the entire Desperado team (6 players) couldn't work out how to exit the spawn point.

fof.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions m8nkey. We released beta 1.1 yesterday with many new things, including faster revolver/bow/smith carbine and fists too. Sprint only works in a realistic way, running while strafing isn't :)

I know the saloon doors are a bit hard to use, however making it automatic could make then look weird. I think the spring I'm use there could be less tight, also try to use fists or a weapon to make it easier.

And yes, desperados spawn is some sort of noob trap, but most people find the way :) HDR version in general is dark, I think I should try to compile the map with other env_light values.

New beta:

http://www.fistful-of-frags.com/view.php?indn=10

the jumping part in the new version is really bad -- you can only make one jump before waiting about 5 or more seconds to regen to jump again. it's too much of a wait. my suggestion is to decrease jump stamina to what it was before, AND increase the stamina bar a bit so you can jump at least 3 times before running out (without spurs). this really keeps me from playing the mod :\

the jumping part in the new version is really bad -- you can only make one jump before waiting about 5 or more seconds to regen to jump again. it's too much of a wait. my suggestion is to decrease jump stamina to what it was before, AND increase the stamina bar a bit so you can jump at least 3 times before running out (without spurs). this really keeps me from playing the mod :\

Can I ask you why do you need to jump 3 times in 5 seconds? I suppose it'd be occasional, however there is no a big need IMO.

I understand it can be annoying sometimes, but I find even more annoying those people jumping like frogs.

Can I ask you why do you need to jump 3 times in 5 seconds? I suppose it'd be occasional, however there is no a big need IMO.

I understand it can be annoying sometimes, but I find even more annoying those people jumping like frogs.

for example, in (i think) el paso, desperados have a balcony they can jump out of. however, with the current build, itll take me at least 10 seconds to get over the railing due to poor level design and/or because of the jump limit. this is just an example, i remember many more similar cases.

also, i feel you're not listening enough to your players (given your VERY critical views) and i think you need to change that attitude as well. it's a beta, try it out. if anything bad happens, you can always change it back. don't say no just because that's your personal opinion, because your choices affect other people.

Well, it's clear you never has been in my position. Every player has suggestions and its own view of how should be played the game. Sometimes you have to isolate from those opinions and do what you think is right according with the gameplay idea you have.

The example you cite is actually a level design issue, nothing to do with the jump. It'll be fixed as soon as possible. That spawn was made with the old "super-jump" in mind, clearly an error. However it's still passable if you crouch and jump, not so complicated. And are there "many more" issues like that? I only know that one.

I also have trouble with the jumping. It seems like half the time I just can't even jump. On el paso, even trying to jump on a porch that is only like 10 inches tall requires you sit there and try 3 or 4 times before you can actually jump up there. It's just really annoying and gets me killed all the time because I get stuck trying to jump up something that I could just as easily should be able to walk over.

Well, it's clear you never has been in my position. Every player has suggestions and its own view of how should be played the game. Sometimes you have to isolate from those opinions and do what you think is right according with the gameplay idea you have.

The example you cite is actually a level design issue, nothing to do with the jump. It'll be fixed as soon as possible. That spawn was made with the old "super-jump" in mind, clearly an error. However it's still passable if you crouch and jump, not so complicated. And are there "many more" issues like that? I only know that one.

i have been in similar positions to what you are in now, thank you very much. it is clear to me that you dont know how to handle those situations, however. now if you'd actually listen you've just had 3 people stating the same thing, 2 of whom came up with different examples. i'm not trying to be an ass about this, but if you dont listen, you'll lose alot of players/community. an old saying goes, "win the discussion or learn something from it" -- i think you ought to heed that. either way, arrogance will get you nowhere.

Well, the fact I'm discussing with you those issues should be an indicative I'm not that arrogant, because if I was probably I wouldn't be here (as many other devs do, btw). However that doesn't mean I'm going to do what other people want every time. Many players asked for a deathmatch mode and I won't offer one even if the game dies quickly because lack of players. The idea behind FoF simply has nothing to with DM, my interest is in that idea and the fact people plays the game isn't the main thing in this project. I mean this isn't a commercial game, I don't have to worry about having players as if my life depended on it.

Regarding the jump, if there are map issues with the actual system they will be fixed. However there will be serious restrictions and that won't change. There are games where you can't even jump, the fact is games have restrictions that you must overcome, if not they wouldn't be games.