Aquaria: best indie game ever????evr.

RD

Found this game yesterday, its genius :o

Made by BitBlot ( http://bit-blot.com ), you play as a mermaid or fish or something and later on as a yellyfish. Dont know how big it is yet but looks like its pretty long. Oh and it has a great soundtrack (you can hear it in the trailer). :fist::fist:

Ive been playing it for a day now, it is better than crysis. Its about 200mb and plays extreem smooth on older machines.

Trailer:

Final teaser:

7mins of gameplay

aqscreen01rg6.jpg

aqscreen02dl1.jpg

aqscreen05nv0.jpg

aqscreen12rr2.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a really fantastic game. The art is beautiful, the gameplay looks pretty intriguing, and the music is simply to die for.

It's a shame this didn't come out when games like this were more common as it would probably have been very much loved. I hope it comes out on Xbox Live or something so it can tap into a big audience. :)

Phew, i played a bit more before giving any criticism, something like 4 more hours and i don't seem to be that far in the game (i've got only 3 forms). But damn, i must have visited 10 kms of tunnels to be at that point :D, and so far i'm honestly not disappointed to have bought it..

Well. ok. I might actually be not really objective about this game because I'm a long time fan of the guy who made the graphic assets of Aquaria and also the fact that i know that this dude is a real passionate who is dedicated to make his games with love. Plus, it's an indie game (my dream of career "lololol"). But hey, i'll try to be as objective as i can .. :P

So quickly on the "+"s,

+ The game got its own visual style and universe

+ The soundtrack is amazing in its globality

+ The gameplay is smooth and intuitive if you play keyboard + mouse

+ The cooking/alchemy part so you have a reason to search every tunnel

+ Well made story

+ You encounter new creatures and assets at every corner

+ You can ride seahorses and various grouper fishes :cool:

So for the '-'s .. it would be hard to find alot though.

My biggest grief concern the probable lassitude the player could feel after playing some hours, because yeah, this game is mainly about the exploration of kilometers of underwater tunnels to find a new form and to use its special abilities to get to another part of the game (metroid, castelvania like). The story is also not linear, you can find the forms in the order you want and it can be hard to some players to keep hooked on playing.

Another one is the absence of the saving crystals at some critic places, sometimes it gets really annoying to have to redo an entire 10 minutes level to get to a boss and die figuring out what to do for the next time :(

And to finish, as much as i like derek's work, i've got to say that the character design of naija is terrible. ( what the hell is that haircut ) :D

Go buy it guys ;D

actually you can eat stuff with the controller by double clicking(tapping) it so never mind :D

but you cant select the songs you have forgotten with the controller ! :D

but who is dumb enough to forget em anyway (except me once)

i already have 2 hours of effective game time on the clock and yet the demo is not over ... i think i am gonna have to buy this

koko how much of the entire game would you say is in the demo 15 -20% ?