Sign in to follow this  
skdr

Crysis demo out

It's worth noting that resolution is a big factor in Crysis.

It's like mine can easily copy with it running on 'Very High' at 1024x768, but as soon as I run it in my native 1920x1200 is drops like a rock down a well.

Hardly surprising when you think that it has 1,517,568 more pixels to render, but still.

The problem with these big LCD monitors is they don't up-scale anywhere near as well as televisions do and it's made even worse by you being so close to them, so although you can run it in 1280x768 or 1680x1050, it is distinctly blurry.

I wish I had the room for a good HD television as I bet it'd be great running it in a lower resolution and just sitting back with a wireless mouse/keyboard. Might be wireless, but who cares when you're that comfortable? :cool:

780p would be roughly 1280x768 and 1080p would be roughly 1680x1050, both of which run much better for me. :oops:

Are you running a Dell 2407? I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the non-native resolutions I was running; 1680x1050 wasn't nearly as blurry as I expected it to be, nor was 1024x768 (the resolution I had to settle on to get things running at medium/high). It looked pretty bad at first but I went into the display settings and switched it over to aspect instead of fill and it looked much cleaner. Still not ideal, but sharper than on some other monitors I've seen.

Yeah I do, and yes it isn't terrible. It's still not as good as a competent television though because they tend to have better rescaling chips in them due to the likelihood of many things being in standard definition.

Kind of comparable to how the Xbox 360 (and PS3?) upscale to 1080p, except hidden inside the television.

I didn't enjoy playing Crysis in a lower resolution much though because although it was okay in the night areas, when I was on the beach with shitloads of detail it all seemed a bit blocky and there just wasn't that much definition. It definitely looked worse in the day when things were lit up more for me.

It wouldn't let me choose my monitor's native 1680x1050 resolution for some reason - the highest in the list was something like 1440x968. Didn't look horrible in non-native resolution, but it didn't help things. Overall I wasn't as awed by the game as I expected, but running on mostly medium settings at a non-native resolution wasn't exactly showing the game in its best light :)

Been playing on my work computer (Which is only 1680x1050, home I have a 24" but on the other hand the specs are absolutely atrocious). Its running great. Actually I tried the DX10 trick with editing the config files and bumping it up to Very High, and it was definitely still playable (somewhere in the 20-25fps). Granted I have a 8800 GTX and some quad core Xeon, but still :)

Waves look soooo much better with the DX10 stuff, everything else is just slightly sharper, plus paralax maps are nice~:)

Try it~ http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/inde ... ic=11837.0

Thrik - yeah, once daylight hit and the beach stuff came into play, it suddenly got veeerrrry ugly. :(

Also, it has to be said: I hate the controls in this game. Binding my controls was approaching (though still not nearly as bad as) Battlefield 2 levels, and there's just too much random shit that has its own dedicated button, to the point where I'm reminded why I enjoy my shooters more on the 360 these days. Then there's little stupid stuff, like whyyyyyyy do vehicle movement controls not automatically map to the first person movement controls? It's not like you have to do both at the same time. It's also not impossible to condense the scheme down, as the game ships with a functional config for a 360 controller (though I would argue that a few buttons are still wasted or misplaced compared to more standard/natural 360 configurations).

Even that's a nightmare, though, because by default if you have a 360 controller plugged in it defaults to force feedback and the in-game reminders default to the controller buttons. Because I play with a non-standard (ESDF) keyboard layout, I have to go back into the menu every time a new thing comes up to remind myself what I even had to bind it to in the first place to make everything fit. And it was maddening to just be playing and all of a sudden have my controller dancing across my desk. You can disable that, but the default experience for a keyboard player who happens to have a controller connected to the computer is absolutely terrible.

I'm all for complexity and depth in games where it fits, but it's games like this that loop the pro-keyboard/mouse argument of "but look at all the extra buttons" around from a positive to a negative. I'm playing Crysis, a first person shooter, not Steel Battalion.

I kinda see what you're saying. They controls never got to the point where they really irritated me but they definitely don't feel extremely smooth either. However I've gotten a habit of putting almost everything possible on the extra mouse buttons so I almost restrict the keyboard to movement. Obviously depends on the game, but Crysis actually feels like it fits quite nicely to this kinda setup.

But yeah. 360 shooters mmmm, couchmmmmm:drool:

Ok now I have more time to say something about game...

I like: whole environment, a 'plot', models, weapons, graphics, 'power-ups" (invisibility especialy)...

I don't like: requirements, stupid AI, car physics, end of the demo with mechanical ocopus...

I'll buy it if it will be on X360

Well, I played it. I now find myself buying a new PC...

331906 AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz Socket AM2

321028 Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4 DDR2, 2048MB CL4,

332049 XFX GeForce 8800GTX 600M 768MB XT GDDR3

have the same conf. and Cryisi works on 15-20fps on high details...

My friends PC is a 4200 X2 (939) with two gigs of dual channel and an 8800GTX. It ran just fine for me on High settings. sometimes it dipped, but usually at least 30's I'm sure. Only a few times did I notice anything that was actually a low framerate.