Mapping for non fps/action games?

Steppenwolf

Currently i can't arse myself to to do any level design in my freetime. Its a big motivational problem for me to do the same stuff after work that i do at work.

Still i would like to widen my horizon with new level design stuff/technologies/editors.

Do you know games outside the fps/action spectrum that have good level editors? maybe like racing games, rpg's, strategy etc. I think i would feel a lot more motivated to try out something that is completely different from the stuff that i did during last few years.

Though old, Warcraft 3 probably has one of the best editors I've used, it has definitely limitations but when it comes to the triggers/script you can basically do whatever the hell you want. If you’re interested in an RTS/RPG I’d go for that, and at worst you could prepare yourself for Starcraft 2.

I also found Neverwinter Nights to be quite flexible, though I wasn’t too attracted to that kind of game (WRPG's make me fall asleep with their tonnes of nothing). And Dungeon Siege had quite a novel editor but anything outside of putting down default assets and hacking your way through it is a nightmare.

I want to check out Torque Game Builder, it's 2D and from the small video, looks easy.

I'd give 2D or low poly a go (render low poly into sprites etc.), nothing too fancy, but maybe make a small map idea or something.

RTS design to me is kinda just place random stuff in a map, and make sure it's balanced, and nothing more than that.

Or maybe try Neverwinter Nights or sum'n similair.

Yeah was going to mention that. It comes with a level editor but as far as I know it's pretty similar do Sandbox or the BF editor.

Hell I'd love to work on a low poly game/mod (128x128 max for textures and models and stuff!).

Though old, Warcraft 3 probably has one of the best editors I've used, it has definitely limitations but when it comes to the triggers/script you can basically do whatever the hell you want. If you’re interested in an RTS/RPG I’d go for that, and at worst you could prepare yourself for Starcraft 2.

[...]

That one and a whole different approach to "mapping" would be Trackmania Tracks - you can start with the Trackmania Nations (Free) to build your own tracks and it's quite fun because of the manouveurs you are implenting which require lots of thinking to have the right timing but the editing itself is dumbshit easy.

Create a mod from scratch using Morrowind/Oblivion. I've been messing around with Morrowind recently, importing my own models and messing around with some scripting in it. Few nice possibilities about it actually (maybe with a few extra tools such as MorrowindScriptExtender) but I guess it's more effort if you start from scratch (considering what would need to be done) Just to note, even if you don't get far it can be quite fun working on it. Though sometimes the editor controls (3d window) can be horrible.