skate.

st0lve

so, skate. (note the lowercase and the . in a title; GROUNDBREAKING!) have been released all over the world by now. I actually got my Xbox just for playing skate., and it's worth all the money.

It actually feels right, when doing tricks, you kinda feel like you acomplish something hard, that not everyone can do. As a long time THPS player, and even longer a real skater, this is the game Ive been waiting for. I've played it almost non-stop since I got the box and the game. The "flick it" controls are actually even more groundbreaking than the name.

So, anyone have it? Up for some long night sessions all day?

(ps not released on PS3 yet)

these are my impressions just from the demo, and having skated for 10+ years myself;

+world art is simple and well done

+characters are well done with great animations/animation blending

+control scheme is intuitive and interesting, most of the tricks make sense

+feels much like a skate simulator, works well

+community system with sharing videos and stuff is great

-stereotyped skateboarding lifestyle, mostly talking about the narrator's dialogue (who is... mike carroll, right? "yo, what's up dog, that is sick! let me say some more bullshit against my will!")

-distance movement seemed pretty jacked. in real life you would ollie up a curb pretty close to it, trying this in skate = slam. you have to ollie from what seems like over ten feet away to get up a ten inch tall curb.

-camera position is terrible, it's hard to see what is coming up, this really kills it for me (is there a way to change it?)

-many tricks have similar movements, so it can be difficult to do what you want, when you want

-many tricks have similar movements, so it can be difficult to do what you want, when you want

I agree about this, I spent so much time trying to master some advanced tricks, but since the controls are so similar to the basic or medium tricks you end up just doing those more than the advanced. That is all I have found to be very annoying.

Was thinking of picking it up this week, but Halo 3 Legendary and MP is keeping me busy. And then PGR4 is out next week. Might borrow it from someone at work tho, not quite sure its one I'm gonna buy

Liked the controls tho, though I sucked big time at it :D

-stereotyped skateboarding lifestyle, mostly talking about the narrator's dialogue (who is... mike carroll, right? "yo, what's up dog, that is sick! let me say some more bullshit against my will!")
True, you should be able to turn those off after a while, especially if you skate in a skatepark or something with 3-4 other skaters, it's like "YO WAS POOPIN TK' IS U JUST RAPPIN OR WHAT!?", get really annoying after 10 minutes when he starts repeating lines.

-distance movement seemed pretty jacked. in real life you would ollie up a curb pretty close to it, trying this in skate = slam. you have to ollie from what seems like over ten feet away to get up a ten inch tall curb.
True, but if you flick it faster, then you can do it from less distance. No way to change it, that's kinda bad for the people that doesn't like it at all.

-camera position is terrible, it's hard to see what is coming up, this really kills it for me (is there a way to change it?)
It's awesome. It's really hard to get used to, but when you first get into it, it all becomes kinda "smooth" in a way. Except when bombing hills, I always hit a couple of grandma's and then I loose the race.

Oh hell yeah, but it's a kinda cool thing aswell. Especially online, you see people doing skyhigh nollie 360flip and such all the time, while you only get low nollie 360 shuvits. Pretty steep learning curve, but when you first learn the tricks, then you always remember how to do them.

ps. the intro is really funny. if the Gonz was going to operate on me, I'd rather die first..

i bought a 360 just for skate aswell.

great game!

i also have a similar feeling to the tricks aswell. i always seems to accidently do a shuvit or 360 shuvit wen trying 360flips or hardflips.

I sumtimes find the camera a little annoying wen navigating some spots.

Letting the player leave his board and run around like on thug would have totally been awesome.

Blunts and Noseblunts feel so rad on this game though.

i also have a similar feeling to the tricks aswell. i always seems to accidently do a shuvit or 360 shuvit wen trying 360flips or hardflips.
HARDFLIP IS THE OTHER WAY :oops: (if you are thinking about bs spins).

If you manage to put all the "OWN TEH SPOT!!!1" spots on your map, then navigation is a lot quicker. Only thing that kinda sucks, is that you cannot place your own permanent spot markers anywhere. Like when you find this awesome set of stairs or whatever, you always have to "re-find it" if you turn of your console. Stepping off the board would have made it hella' lot easier to get up stairs and such. But you always have the session markers, if you've been there no long ago.

This game is sweet, but very frustrating. Haven't played it loads (got other games to play too, and work) but I pretty much agree with everyone else's thoughts on it.

I'm at the Plan B warehouse trying to do the vert challenge where you need to grind along the top of the bowl section then fliptrick out of it and get 800+ points. :fist::cry:

Needs a "get off the damn board and walk up the steps you tit" button. I'm sure they'll add that in the sequel though.

The greatest and worst thing sometimes is the fact that the skater gets better with your own skill. I don't pick up the game for 2 days and when I get back and start a challenge again I get completely owned. I'm in the PlanB warehouse with the best trick challenge.. how the bots manage to pull of 650+ point tricks while I can't even break 400 is beyond me. (even with hardflip or 360 nollie laserflip wtf)

Very nice atmosphere, feel, and controls, but immensely frustrating sometimes.

Slain, have you done the pumping tutorial? Or atleast do you know how to pump transitions? Well if not; Get enough speed, ride to the top turn into grind, flip, grind and flip out, but be sure to have atleast x2 before doing it, with x3 it's almost too easy.

If that doesn't work, land on top of the corner, set a session marker (left tb and dpad down) and just do a flip and land in a grind and do some more flips and grinds :)

sjosz, you need to do sick combos basically, and not bail on a single trick. if you get x2 or x3, try to keep it "alive", makes the game hell'a lot easier.