Sign in to follow this  
FrieChamp

Guitar n00b asking experienced e-guitarists for advise

Thanks for the advice guys. I also asked a RL friend of mine and he will supply me with some links for further education before I go to the store.

rule N°1: if you want to play e-guitar, buy an e-guitar... and a guitar that you like (shape, colour, sound, etc...) because if you don't buy something that you like, you'll soon get bored and won't buy it...

When you buy your guitar, pay attention to the woods used to build it. It's VERY important as the wood is what will "taint" your sound. Search on google to see what are the various sounds of the various woods.

I would also recommend you buy an e-guitar with a whammy bar, you'll have much more fun with it, but it will be longer/harder to tune, but if you have (and you must have) and tool to tune it (sorry, i don't rknow the english name of this tool). It's cheap (aprrox. 15€) and will saves a lot of your time.

rule N°2: when you'll buy it, ask to test. Of course, as you don't know how to play guitar, you won't play on it, but just slide your fingers on the neck to see if there's nothing which could hurt your hand / fingers, like for example, some frets (the little metal bar on the neck) that would be a bit too long (that's what happened to me)

In my opinion, you should forget the Les Paul shape: not well balanced, very heavy, crap shape to play while sitting (everybody will tell you these shapes hurts when you try to play while sitting) and anyway, i don't look "punk rock"

For your amp, i have a 30W spider-II from line6 and it's absolutely perfect to practice at home. you won't do any concert, so 30W is way enough. These amps have all the effects you need to play punk rock and they aren't very expensive, and line 6 is anyway a (very) good brand

For the pick, it's a matter of taste.... i personally use a medium one and another one made of wood

If you need any other information, don't hesitate to ask ;)

Add me on msn, i can help you out a bit , igive guitar lessons to begining guitarists in my neighbourhood, i'm no pro but i can help you get started on learning the basics (chords, basic scales modes,finger positioning, relaxation excersizes, speed training, memorizing tecniques, basic blues, metal, jazz, classical/neo-classical music maybe some more advanced stuff if you're already familiar with those things) and starting to create your own sound / music.

born2shred 'at' gmail.com (shit now this addy sounds even more cheesy :D lmao)

I bought my equipment today :-D

I picked a cherry Epiphone Gibson SG:

SG-CLASSIC-P90-HC.jpg

The amp is a Vox Valvetronix 15 W amp, I was first gonna buy a Marshall 30W amp, but the Vox one had more features and 15W should be enough for my room.

Thanks for the help dudes :-D

yeah not bad, I hope you enjoy the Sg - they aren't the best quality quitars in my experience (even the high end ones), and they suffer from a lack of tone through certain amps but punk is punk eh, nobody gives a shit what it sounds like a slong as it's dirty :D

Oh oops didn't realize you already bought an axe when I posted..... did you get that one with the p90 pickups or one with humbuckers?

Also epiphone is great for beginners. High quality epiphones are on par with most Gibsons, anyone who tells you otherwise is a brand name snob. My uncle has been playing guitar for his whole life and says he'd take Epi over Gibson any day.

Oh oops didn't realize you already bought an axe when I posted..... did you get that one with the p90 pickups or one with humbuckers?

Also epiphone is great for beginners. High quality epiphones are on par with most Gibsons, anyone who tells you otherwise is a brand name snob. My uncle has been playing guitar for his whole life and says he'd take Epi over Gibson any day.

That's why I was slightly puzzled about your late advise and didn't reply, thanks anyway :)

Maybe you can tell me what the difference between humbuckers and "p90 pickups" is? The humbuckers (or pickups or whatever they are) are actually silver on my model and look like this:

SGstandard.jpg

humbucker uses a flat plate and picks up vibration slightly differently to the usual pickups which simply have a magnet under each individual string.

People will swear by humbuckers, and while they are nice for a good even tone you don't need to shell out the extra cash for them when you are beginning as it's unlikely you will be able to tell the difference.