Sign in to follow this  
FrieChamp

Time to move on..

I just wanted to drop a note here (instead of telling everyone individually), that I'm not longer working for Crytek, since last Friday. I will begin my studies (media economics) on October 1st, read on for details :)

I've always wanted to go to university some day, but I just wasn't sure when. Half a year ago I made the decision, to spend another half a year working on Crysis, to hopefully finish it and begin studies with the start of the winter semester, because I know if I don't do it then - I never will.

Well, now it's September, Crysis isn't finished yet and the start of the winter semester is looming around the corner. Then again, I think it's safe to say, that it's pretty damn close. It's a shame that I can't pop the corks with the rest of the team once the game goes gold, but I'm confident they're able to squish the last bugs on their own and I will come visiting for the release party.

It's been 3 amazing years, both in Coburg and Frankfurt and when I think about it now, I feel like time flew, but in fact, the experiences I made, the places I've been to, the people I have met, are quite tremendous and I believe I could contribute to a pretty fun game.

So, anyway, I moved back to Bielefeld (my home area) on Friday, put all my stuff into my parent's place and will stay here for now (live with mom and dad again yay!), until my best friend and me found a decent place in the city that is ;)

Meanwhile I will do my best to move as little as possible and get constantly drunk, until I have to hit the books again at the beginning of October and probably kick myself in the nuts for doing so if I could have been working on videogames instead.

By any means, this doesn't mean that I am done with games though. Beside annoying you kids here at the core, I probably won't be able to stay from the editor for too long...oh, and we'll see where it takes me once I'm finished with uni ;)

Thanks for reading, if you have questions, feel free to ask!

- Frie~

Interesting :) You've most likely made a good and thought-through decision. Besides, with a merit like Crysis you will always have something very solid to fall back on. Although I am more than happy with my current situation I am very likely to go back to the student's way of life sooner or later. It's really just a matter of feeling ready; it's a pretty hefty commitment.

":1yndssoe]Good luck man!

I took the completely opposite decision a few months back, I had enough of school, It's time to work on games once and for all!

btw, how old are you champ?

I'm 22 (23 in march).

goodluck and does your nda still stand ;)?

Yup, sure does.

Thanks guys!

Well I'm sad to hear that you're going out the business, but glad that you're moving on to something you'd rather be doing. I respect people that can pull that kinda thing.

So, how long will this education take? I have a lot of friends who are in the progress of taking education at the university, and they have like 3 years left, even after spending 2 years on it already, nuts :o

But good luck ;)

Best of luck but most of all congrats for taking that decision. It was the right move no matter how painful homework will be like. Regardless of how you feel about video games VS your studies, a degree will get you in places you won't ever find a way into without one. Including in this industry

Kudos on having the stones to drop out of such a plush job mate - I can imagine most people would settle for their lot if they were in your position. Hope you enjoy the student lifestyle, best of luck with it all :)