Hypocrits reign Germany

e-freak

I'm not going to go into huge detail, but it's obvious that more guns means more potential for death. Even in the wonderfully neutral land of Switzerland (somewhere perceived to be very peaceful) there is a higher rate of firearms deaths than in the UK (the UK is apparently now one big ghetto if you listen to the newspapers ;)). What's the difference? Swiss men of a certain age have to keep a gun in the house as a military obligation. I don't really see the point in having the right to bear arms if it makes you more likely to get shot by someone else. It's a false economy.

I think this quote sums it up: "Even good people do bad things." I'm sure everyone knows someone who has done something in the heat of the moment, or they know someone who is outwardly normal but is capable of indulging in some ... very dubious behaviour. That's why I'm against the general public bearing arms.

However, my attitude towards violent games has shifted somewhat. I used to think "blah blah whatever", but now there's a few books I want to read (by Dave Grossman) that deal with how games can mimic some of the training you find in armies etc.

The main difference in the media's (lazy half-assed) perception seems to be that any game featuring violence is bad and helps to condition to kill, whereas Grossman apparently makes a link between more physical games and the action of killing (i.e. light gun games where you physically hold a replica and have to aim properly), including a case where someone who had handled a gun only once was able to take out a group of 8 people, 5 of them with headshots. The guy played arcade light gun games a lot prior to the shooting. Grossman states that experienced gun-handlers in the army & police would've found it difficult to achieve such a feat. Unfortunately you then get hacks like Thompson who jump on this and apply it to all games featuring violence.

I agree with you btw. This is total hypocrisy and big business hand in hand.

I'm not going to go into huge detail, but it's obvious that more guns means more potential for death. Even in the wonderfully neutral land of Switzerland (somewhere perceived to be very peaceful) there is a higher rate of firearms deaths than in the UK (the UK is apparently now one big ghetto if you listen to the newspapers Wink). What's the difference? Swiss men of a certain age have to keep a gun in the house as a military obligation. I don't really see the point in having the right to bear arms if it makes you more likely to get shot by someone else. It's a false economy.

True. In fact, there was a big discussion about the right for having a gun in one's household. There was even an iniative to dispose this law (or constitution paragraph). But rightists, along with the weapons lobby could stop that initiative in the parlaiment. Even when leftists eased off and suggested an iniative where "just" army ammunition becomes forbidden, no one wanted to listen. Cruel society.

Now add Mr. Schäuble's crazy plans on building a new Gestapo and we're done here. :roll:

very qualified statement. please stay away from politics if you can only compare parties to Nazi organization.

My god calm down, do you really think this is plain serious? I just wanted to express my feelings about all that supervision the state is driving.

If you felt offended by it you have my apologies.

and he's damn right. our history is one thing we shell not forget but learn from it - it should not be our f* word.

i have no problem talking about what happened, but in a todays political discussion those terms are totally inappropriate! especially when they are used to describe politicians. no matter which party!

i think it needs to be said that politicians, like it or not, are not holy men; it's their job to run parties and govern the country, but it seems many cannot figure out what is best for the people and instead use their own bias and become corrupted. i see this nearly everywhere, and it really saddens me.

my point was that if he think it's a nazi party, then let him think that. you can't kill people for having another opinion, nor should they be restricted. we all live in free countries, right?

i could go on about why this and that is wrong and why politicians in general have too much power on their hands, but i did promise myself never to bring up politics again, so i'll cut the line here.

That's weird to say the least but I do think the deviant weaponlaws in most western countries in Europe will change and eventually be synchronized to the standards of what we have here in the Netherlands. With the ''unification'' of europe..

A Game doesn't kill, a weapon does. And a heavy caliber even more.

A gun doesn't kill either. The user does. And killing someone even more sounds quite.. impossible. ;)