3d Skybox Problem in Source Engine

Skjalg

I need some help.. I've been working all day optimizing my map, and it sure has caused me a lot of frustration :)

Right now, the hints works as intended :cool:

What doesnt work as intended is my 3d skybox. What I did was shave off the top of my map (the player is never going up there anyway) and make it into a 3d skybox.

What happened next was unexpected. Picture explains it all. (sorry about the big picture, im lazy:P)

pvk_town_sky20000.jpg

I have searched forums everywhere (mainly interlopers), but I cant figure out what is wrong. After running around on the map, it seems like all the 3d skybox buildings have no shadows. They have the exact same color of lighting on all sides.

I have tried putting the light_environment in just normal world. I've tried having one in both the 3d skybox and normal world. I've tried removing fog in both etc etc.. What is the problem here? I'd really rather not go back to not using the 3d skybox :(

yeah its really a simple thing to do technically but getting them to look natural next to eachother might be impossible

you can try faking it by using regular lights, darken them and place them along the line of the bottom of the skybox geometry and adjust the distance they cast light etc until its sufficiently convincing, a pretty awful method but it'll probably work

the problem is the stuff in the 3dsky doesnt get the same lighting as the stuff in the actual map. I had a similar problem in one of my ins maps and couldnt fix it, so i had to remove parts of it :(

I dont believe that this is the problem.

1. I compiled the map with the only entities beeing sky_camera, light_environment and fog_controller. It was still like that.

2. No shadows in skybox. I have set the direction of the light environment to the east, but the west side of the buildings are just as lit as the east sides (in the 3d skybox). Hope that made sense..

I can clearly see the difference in shadows in the 90 degree buildings in the normal world, but when I look up its just as bright on both sides in the 3d skybox.

Conclusion: wtf ?:(

In source everything gets color and light info from the surrounding stuff. And unfortunately 3dsky and actual map seem to be seperated. Thats my experience.

mine too... Still doesnt explain the lack of shadows... and the shaking in 3d skybox.

the shaking/jittering geometry is normal. it appears due to rounding problems. this jittering also appears in the 3d world. for exmaple go prone in dod:s next to a wall edge. i often see it flickering around :eng101:

What texture are you using for the bottom of the 3d skybox? Could be that the brushes are picking up light-information from the texture during rad. I had a similar problem in dod_salerno, but it went away when I used toolsblack for the floor. Also, are the brushes floating in the skybox, or are they placed directly on the floor? If they're on the floor, give them some room underneath.

What texture are you using for the bottom of the 3d skybox? Could be that the brushes are picking up light-information from the texture during rad. I had a similar problem in dod_salerno, but it went away when I used toolsblack for the floor. Also, are the brushes floating in the skybox, or are they placed directly on the floor? If they're on the floor, give them some room underneath.

I had the same idea as you, so I tried giving them some space last night, didnt work... I'll try the toolsblack idea now..

..didnt work.. bleh